VE - A New and Impressive Earbuds Brand
Jun 4, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #721 of 3,324

The current Zen foams aren't the best to be honest. You can try some premium ones from here http://www.shenzhenaudio.com/hiegi-high-quality-foam-cushions-for-earphones-earbuds-6-pairs-1581.html

I am sure there are tons if you take a look around. @golov17  Do you know where he can get better foam for his Zen? Thanks

Nearly completed my 10 days of testing the Zens, but I would agree the Zen foams are of a cheaper quality.

Just as an example ... bought these http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Brand-Moxpad-X3-sport-Earphones-with-Mic-for-MP3-player-MP5-MP4-Mobile-Phones-in-ear/1683353371.html
$15.... extremely good sounding IEMs and I am not a fan of IEMs in general but for $15 and 3000+ orders with 90% reviews positive how can you go wrong.

My point is the presentation, packaging the quality of the IEM for $15 is very impressive, I don't feel I am getting another copy like IEM and I feel MoxPad have made an effort.

In a few days I will post my comments regarding the sound vs the Blox range + other earbuds I have used.

This is a suggestion and not a complaint to the makers of Zen, Impressive earbud but don't be another cheap carbon copy of the 100s of earbuds in packing and quality of the earbud, honestly its getting old.   If these guys can do it for $15 no reason why you can't for $120.

Jun 4, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #723 of 3,324

Nearly completed my 10 days of testing the Zens, but I would agree the Zen foams are of a cheaper quality.

Just as an example ... bought these http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Brand-Moxpad-X3-sport-Earphones-with-Mic-for-MP3-player-MP5-MP4-Mobile-Phones-in-ear/1683353371.html
$15.... extremely good sounding IEMs and I am not a fan of IEMs in general but for $15 and 3000+ orders with 90% reviews positive how can you go wrong.

My point is the presentation, packaging the quality of the IEM for $15 is very impressive, I don't feel I am getting another copy like IEM and I feel MoxPad have made an effort.

In a few days I will post my comments regarding the sound vs the Blox range + other earbuds I have used.

This is a suggestion and not a complaint to the makers of Zen, Impressive earbud but don't be another cheap carbon copy of the 100s of earbuds in packing and quality of the earbud, honestly its getting old.   If these guys can do it for $15 no reason why you can't for $120.

Moxpad mass produces those things and so different scale of operation and VE put all the money into how it sounds and they have even stated they wouldnt compromise on the sound, so hence a generic durable shell was used. I believe they have made the correct decision as the Zen sounds amazing and if it means it looks generic, I don't mind because it will be in my ears all day anyway :) my 2 cents

Jun 4, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #725 of 3,324

Moxpad mass produces those things and so different scale of operation and VE put all the money into how it sounds and they have even stated they wouldnt compromise on the sound, so hence a generic durable shell was used. I believe they have made the correct decision as the Zen sounds amazing and if it means it looks generic, I don't mind because it will be in my ears all day anyway :) my 2 cents

And I commend him for doing so investing is R&D $$$ into the sound of the earbud, but in China/Asia a little effort goes along way, especially if you want your $120 earbuds to last sometime, again it's just a suggestion and feedback for him to consider.  I'm all out for supporting the little fish in the big pond of headphones :)

Jun 4, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #726 of 3,324
I agree with you F900EX about VE going the extra mile to differentiate in terms of build, though as I touched on my review, my main beef is with the cable. Like the housing and driver and where the priorities lie, I'm sure the conductor of the cable (silver?) is of great quality, but the usability of the buds are ruined a bit by the bouncy, energy-storing nature of the rubbery insulation. I mean, couldn't they have found a cable that's more manageable?

Jun 4, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #730 of 3,324
I agree with you F900EX about VE going the extra mile to differentiate in terms of build, though as I touched on my review, my main beef is with the cable. Like the housing and driver and where the priorities lie, I'm sure the conductor of the cable (silver?) is of great quality, but the usability of the buds are ruined a bit by the bouncy, energy-storing nature of the rubbery insulation. I mean, couldn't they have found a cable that's more manageable?

And I commend him for doing so investing is R&D $$$ into the sound of the earbud, but in China/Asia a little effort goes along way, especially if you want your $120 earbuds to last sometime, again it's just a suggestion and feedback for him to consider.  I'm all out for supporting the little fish in the big pond of headphones :)

The new flagship is in planning stages probably so this feedback definitely helps :)  

Jun 5, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #731 of 3,324

The current Zen foams aren't the best to be honest. You can try some premium ones from here http://www.shenzhenaudio.com/hiegi-high-quality-foam-cushions-for-earphones-earbuds-6-pairs-1581.html

I am sure there are tons if you take a look around. @golov17  Do you know where he can get better foam for his Zen? Thanks

I actually can't recommend these foams for the Zen. The ones I got, at least, are also cut very inconsistently and all have holes that are way too big resulting in very thin rings that attenuate the bass and have trouble staying on most earbud housings. But actually because of this, they work really well for the beta Asura and its overpowering bass, which golov suggested a while back. I don't know if it's quality control or if they're made intentionally thin, but I'm just warning you here.

It'll probably depend on fit as well, but of the different donut foams I have, the tan ones included with the E100 have worked the best for me with the Zen. A runner up, though full foam and not doughnut, would be the very thin full foams from Edifier that I got in my H180. Both of these bring out the mids/upper mids and smooth out peaks in the highs while maintaining optimal bass extension. Better balanced sound than all other foams I've tried, to my tastes at least. It's pretty much tip rolling for earbuds and affects the sound just as significantly. But unfortunately buying standalone doughnut foams is really difficult and I don't know where you could get any of these without buying the earbud.

As for the included stock foams, I'm not sure if price α quality for earbud foams, but I did not like the sound with them on. But the funny thing about tip/foam rolling... one phone's trash is another's treasure
normal_smile .gif
. The thickness and small hole of these doughnuts turned out to be perfect for my OMX980, which loves doughnut foams and a good seal. 

oh and I might as well add - I picked up the OMX980 last week and have been really enjoying them. The MX98x is indeed on the level of the Zen in sound. But they're still quite different, and they both have strengths where the other is weaker. Pretty complementary of each other. But if I had to choose one, it would be the Zen. My OMX980 just does not kick ass in the bass like my Zen. It's not that the bass of the 980 is bad or anything, though it may be just a bit rolled off. But that the bass on the Zen is phenomenal. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back