Vali 2 tube rolling
Nov 22, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #5,822 of 6,436
Where would I get one? I'm intrigued!
Send a PM to @Deyan for the adapter. If he didn't keep the measurements on hand, I can measure mine and send back to him.

This shows the exact tube you want. Tall bottle, opposed T-plates, flashing halfway down the inside of the glass, fully oval (racetrack) top and bottom micas. The price on this particular one is quite high (I've purchased most of mine for less than $25), but this is currently the only one listed on Ebay. You may want to shop and/or wait a bit until a less expensive one pops up. The branding is pretty much irrelevant as Sylvania and National Union were the only manufacturers of this tube type, and only the Sylvanias have all the above listed characteristics.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255010314715?hash=item3b5fcc99db:g:aRUAAOSw~PdeN0dM

Nov 22, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #5,823 of 6,436
Dec 11, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #5,826 of 6,436
i have a bunch of different tubes for the Vali 2, but unfortunately I cannot hear a difference between any of them. Probably bc it's a hybrid
I hear a very small difference on good tubes. The fact you haven't heard a real difference is that you haven't bought really bad tubes... I did and the ones I got make it sound like it's muffled and out of tune.

Dec 20, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #5,827 of 6,436
i have a bunch of different tubes for the Vali 2, but unfortunately I cannot hear a difference between any of them. Probably bc it's a hybrid
Same. Either I don't have the ears/patience to differentiate the differences or they simply don't exist to the level that most 'normal' people would notice. I'm sure many will tell me I'm wrong out of their own desire to validate their $100+ tube purchase, but I'm fairly confident that placebo-effect drives most of the 'differences' in SQ from various tubes. Just my humble opinion.

Dec 20, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #5,828 of 6,436
Same. Either I don't have the ears/patience to differentiate the differences or they simply don't exist to the level that most 'normal' people would notice. I'm sure many will tell me I'm wrong out of their own desire to validate their $100+ tube purchase, but I'm fairly confident that placebo-effect drives most of the 'differences' in SQ from various tubes. Just my humble opinion.
As internet posters, we are very guilty of overemphasizing differences and describing small changes as if they seem like huge transformations. But, I can say that I've rolled my Vali 2+ quite extensively, and my ears can pick up on differences between tubes. I think part of the issue for those who can't hear differences is they are expecting large differences, like you would get when you change headphones or even use an equalizer. Rather, listen between the notes, and that's where the tube differences reside. Some tubes have faster transients, others sound thicker, etc. The distortion tubes provide doesn't change the pitch of notes, it changes the spaces around them.

Dec 20, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #5,829 of 6,436
As internet posters, we are very guilty of overemphasizing differences and describing small changes as if they seem like huge transformations. But, I can say that I've rolled my Vali 2+ quite extensively, and my ears can pick up on differences between tubes. I think part of the issue for those who can't hear differences is they are expecting large differences, like you would get when you change headphones or even use an equalizer. Rather, listen between the notes, and that's where the tube differences reside. Some tubes have faster transients, others sound thicker, etc. The distortion tubes provide doesn't change the pitch of notes, it changes the spaces around them.
Makes sense. I've admittedly not really done much lately in terms of critical listening so I'm not denying that there are those out there who can hear these differences. Maybe I'll give tube rolling another try w/ my vali 2 and see if I have any better luck than the last time I tried it (which was quite some time ago.) :)

(btw, I absolutely love Schiit's equipment. I hope people don't misunderstand my earlier statement as thinking I dislike the Vali 2. )

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #5,830 of 6,436
In my tube rolling experience, differences are often subtle. However, even subtle differences can feel big given some time.

When I pop a new tube in it often feels like it sounds very similar to the tube just replaced. Of course, there might be something that stands out immediately, but mostly there is not. But then, as time and listening goes on (and not trying to hear the tube, just listening to the music) things start to present themselves, both good and bad. Some slightly narrower or wider soundstage perhaps, or more/less prominent mids, bass or treble, maybe more clarity/or detail. All subtle but the ears start to tune in to it more and more, and the differences emerge. Swapping back and forth a few (or many) times can emphasise the differences even more. Sometimes it’s quick and sometimes it takes more time to zero in on the differences and decide which one sounds “best” to your ear, and subtle differences in the beginning can start to feel obvious.

In my experience anyway. I hope this made some sort of sense :sweat_smile:

Jan 29, 2022 at 5:57 AM Post #5,831 of 6,436
So I finally went crazy.... bought a second vali and a SYS. I'm now running them both into the sys out to my IEMagni. It's a lot of Schiit, but now I can test A-B my tubes!
20220128_223838.jpg
RDT_20220129_0552144424269971529215870.png

Jan 29, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #5,832 of 6,436
So I finally went crazy.... bought a second vali and a SYS. I'm now running them both into the sys out to my IEMagni. It's a lot of Schiit, but now I can test A-B my tubes!20220128_223838.jpgRDT_20220129_0552144424269971529215870.png
Nice! I see a Brimar box there....6BQ7A? I really like that tube in the Vali 2.

Jan 31, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #5,834 of 6,436
Longtime lurker, first time poster. I've had a Vali 2 for about 6 months, and recently took the plunge in to tube rolling. After trying some tubes that fit in the Vali, I purchased a 6SN7 adapter and a tube. The tube doesn't fully seat in to the adapter, is this a problem? I've already purchased a second adapter, and it has the same issue.

Jan 31, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #5,835 of 6,436
Longtime lurker, first time poster. I've had a Vali 2 for about 6 months, and recently took the plunge in to tube rolling. After trying some tubes that fit in the Vali, I purchased a 6SN7 adapter and a tube. The tube doesn't fully seat in to the adapter, is this a problem? I've already purchased a second adapter, and it has the same issue.
I don't have the adaptor but off my head my guess is that maybe the adaptor is not "deep" enough and your pins bottom out before it goes fully in?

Where did you get the adaptor from, would you be able to link or picture by any chance?

Though either case should still be functional though I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back