Vali 2 tube rolling
Jan 31, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #5,836 of 6,436
I don't have the adaptor but off my head my guess is that maybe the adaptor is not "deep" enough and your pins bottom out before it goes fully in?

Where did you get the adaptor from, would you be able to link or picture by any chance?

Though either case should still be functional though I think.
The adapter came from Tube Depot. The adapter they show online has the insert above the base, the ones that have been sent have the insert even with the base. I have reached out to them, and they tell me all of the ones they have are like what was sent. Being new, it looks like I can't add pictures. The tube works, I just want to make sure it's ok to use.

Jan 31, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #5,837 of 6,436
The adapter came from Tube Depot. The adapter they show online has the insert above the base, the ones that have been sent have the insert even with the base. I have reached out to them, and they tell me all of the ones they have are like what was sent. Being new, it looks like I can't add pictures. The tube works, I just want to make sure it's ok to use.
Yeah I believe it should be safe to use, just might not look visually pleasing but functionality wise I think it should be ok???

But again like I said I don't actually own one so let's see what other people have to say.

Jan 31, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #5,838 of 6,436
I bought an OTK Voskhod tube with a 03-1976 date code for my Vali 2+.
Wow. What a difference between this and the stock tube. I don't dislike the stock tube as much as other people. I actually think it's pretty decent.
But this Voskhod tube, without sounding too thick (all totally subjective, I know), makes my HD800S really shine. I can use them with no sign of fatigue at all. And between the extra soundstage of the tube and the huge separation of the 800S...
There is a certain thump, a physicality in the bass with this tube that is totally unexpected. I didn't appreciate the same kind of effect in the bass on the 6XX.
Well, whatever... it's certainly a great purchase in my opinion. It really takes de Vali 2+ to a new level.

Jan 31, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #5,839 of 6,436
As long as the tube pins are making good contact in the socket (doesn't feel loose or wobble), there's no issue with it not fully seating and it's perfectly fine to use.

Jan 31, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #5,841 of 6,436
Just subbing in.. long thread!
Well, I guess there’s been a lot to say 😜:ksc75smile:
Looking to pick one of these up soon to pair with my 6XX.. Looks like I have a lot of reading to do to have some ideas as to what tubes will pair well
The new production Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB is a very good start IMHO, it makes a great combo with the Lyr3 and HD6XX, all of which I happen to like a lot. On the NOS side, the Russian Foton 6H8C/6N8S (6SN7 equivalent) is also a great start, and also very cheap.

It is a long thread, but totally worth reading it through because it has a lot of great tips and discussions on tubes for the Lyr3 :)

(and you’ll also learn who is the biggest tube hoar.. I mean collector :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

Feb 1, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #5,842 of 6,436
Well, I guess there’s been a lot to say 😜:ksc75smile:

The new production Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB is a very good start IMHO, it makes a great combo with the Lyr3 and HD6XX, all of which I happen to like a lot. On the NOS side, the Russian Foton 6H8C/6N8S (6SN7 equivalent) is also a great start, and also very cheap.

It is a long thread, but totally worth reading it through because it has a lot of great tips and discussions on tubes for the Lyr3 :)

(and you’ll also learn who is the biggest tube hoar.. I mean collector :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)
Argh, note to self: Mind what thread you’re writing in, this the Vali2 thread, not the Lyr3 thread. Vali2. The small one. Right. Anyway, I also happen to like the Vali2 a lot with the HD6XX, so I might have something worthwhile so say about it, too.

Luckily the 6SN7 can be used with the Vali2 easily, all that is needed is a riser and an adapter, so those tube tips are not totally out.

As for new production tubes directly for the Vali2, I don’t really have any tips because I haven’t really used any. But when it comes to NOS I’d say the Voskhod rocket (6N23P, a 6922/6DJ8 equivalent) is a good - and quite cheap - starting point.

A general tube rolling tip would be to learn your equivalent tube designations for the tube you’re looking for and you might still find great tubes for cheap. But if you do, be careful not to tell anyone because then you’ll have an instant price hike on your hands :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Feb 1, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #5,843 of 6,436
Argh, note to self: Mind what thread you’re writing in, this the Vali2 thread, not the Lyr3 thread. Vali2. The small one. Right. Anyway, I also happen to like the Vali2 a lot with the HD6XX, so I might have something worthwhile so say about it, too.

Luckily the 6SN7 can be used with the Vali2 easily, all that is needed is a riser and an adapter, so those tube tips are not totally out.
Or get a 1-piece adapter from @Deyan and you can dispense with the riser. Mine has a loctal socket on top for a 7N7, but I'm sure he can do the same with an octal socket for a 6SN7.

Vali2 7N7 Adapter Deyan.jpg

Vali and Frank.jpg

Feb 1, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #5,844 of 6,436
Or get a 1-piece adapter from @Deyan and you can dispense with the riser. Mine has a loctal socket on top for a 7N7, but I'm sure he can do the same with an octal socket for a 6SN7.

Vali2 7N7 Adapter Deyan.jpg

Vali and Frank.jpg
Nice!! :L3000:

I have a 7N7-to-6SN7, a 6SN7-to-6922, and a riser for that. Barbaric, I know. My excuse is that I can use the 7N7 adapter for my Lyr3 too. Also, I didn’t think it was possible to buy adapters like that!

Feb 4, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #5,846 of 6,436
@bcowen
These they good 6BZ7? https://www.ebay.ca/itm/312754940231
Is it worth paying 4x more for the shipping than the tube? Should the seller even be trusted (no actual test results)
Not really... I did an A/B test with 2 valis a sys and a dozen different tubes. While there was a difference between the good and bad tubes, between good tubes I couldn't tell any differences... much to my disappointment

Ultimately Any good tube sounds good on the vali, so find one good one and enjoy

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #5,847 of 6,436
@bcowen
These they good 6BZ7? https://www.ebay.ca/itm/312754940231
Is it worth paying 4x more for the shipping than the tube? Should the seller even be trusted (no actual test results)
It's really hard to tell from his photos what the plate style is. I have 2 different vintages, with the ones on the left below having a 2-piece plate (per triode) and the ones on the right having a more traditional box plate. Both have O getters, although the ones on the left (older) are smaller than the newer ones. I prefer the older, 2-piece plate version, but it's not a huge difference. Both sound quite good in the Vali 2.

As to the seller, he doesn't have a lot of feedback, and part of what he does have isn't very glowing. I paid just over $30 per pair for these plus $7 or so shipping about a year ago, so you'd be paying almost as much in total for 1 tube. If it were me, I'd wait for a better deal...I see these pop up from time to time for pretty reasonable prices.

Brimar 6BQ7A 1.jpg

Brimar 6BQ7A 2.jpg

Feb 4, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #5,848 of 6,436
Not really... I did an A/B test with 2 valis a sys and a dozen different tubes. While there was a difference between the good and bad tubes, between good tubes I couldn't tell any differences... much to my disappointment

Ultimately Any good tube sounds good on the vali, so find one good one and enjoy
So are the Brimars you're commenting on a good tube or a bad tube?

Feb 4, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #5,849 of 6,436
Any tube that a tube store (vivatubes or tubedepot in USA tubestore in canada) or a reputable merchant is likely a good tube.
However as I have this specific tube yes it is. However I paid 12 CAD for it.... though it was luck of the draw, I paid for a NOS 6BQ7A and they sent me that Brimar.

Feb 6, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #5,850 of 6,436
Hello, guys and gals! Want to share my expressions on tube rolling for my new Schiit Vali2+. It's my first hybrid headphone amplifier and I'm pretty new to external solotions, used much Creative and Asus internal audio cards since late 90s.

DSC_1776.jpg
DSC_1776.jpg
It is my current setup: powerbank feeded Topping D50S with Burson V5i op-amp rolled, Schiit Vali2+ with rolled tubes, Sony XBA-N3A with rolled cable (I do like to roll)).
Where did you get that cool knurled knob for the vali?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back