Vali 2 tube rolling
Jan 26, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #5,567 of 6,436
So how well do tube dampers actually work? I doubt the ringing is going away - I can even hear a faint clinking as the parts expand while the tube warms up. Trying to decide if it's even worth spend the time and $ trying them…

Otherwise it does sound fine. I was listening to some Chumbawama on the weekend (they really are much better than that "Tubthumping" song), and the tubes sound excellent with the acoustic-y sound the band went for with their later albums (I totally recommend "The Boy Bands Have Won", BTW)

Feb 2, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #5,568 of 6,436
My fist Vali 2+, stock tube is RCA 6BZ7, I'm using Tung-sol 6SN7 GTB and it's quite good. I've tried Schuguang CV 181-z but it looks ridiculous.
:sweat_smile:
20219b0d7937-466f-4ec6-8b86-052fe8bc0a9f.jpg

Mar 13, 2021 at 5:55 AM Post #5,569 of 6,436
Hello, guys and gals! Want to share my expressions on tube rolling for my new Schiit Vali2+. It's my first hybrid headphone amplifier and I'm pretty new to external solotions, used much Creative and Asus internal audio cards since late 90s.

DSC_1776.jpg
DSC_1776.jpg

It is my current setup: powerbank feeded Topping D50S with Burson V5i op-amp rolled, Schiit Vali2+ with rolled tubes, Sony XBA-N3A with rolled cable (I do like to roll)).

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #5,570 of 6,436
I have Vali2+ for about a month now and didn't made much tube rolling so far. That what I experienced for that moment:
DSC_177226af3b70084f220a.jpg

DSC_1772.jpg

1) Stock 6BZ7 I didn't used much, It's okay tube, pretty linear and good sounding. You can pretty happy with it until you start rolling tubes. And it is free.
2) 6N23P-EV is a step above stock tube. Have nice low end, clear high treble and lush middle. It also a little agressive to my ear. Good for rock music.
3) JAN 6922 very pleasant, a little rolled back sound, not much of bas though.
4) EH 6922 is one of my favorites. It has somewhat relaxed, warm sound, with good bass and recessed highs that I can listen for a long period.
5) Tesla E88CC 32 factory is my current tube and it will stay theree I think. It has sow musical sound, that extends on every frequency: puchy bass, lush medium, crispy highs. Also exellent soundstage and very detailed. No drawbacks.
6) 6N1P-EV surprisingly very good sounding tube for it's price. For sound It's like 6N23P-EV but a little brighter and no so agressive.
7) Gold Lion 6922 is a very good and expensive 6922 tube. I can compare it sound to Tesla E88CC but GL6922 is fatiguing to my ears, a can't listen it for long. And a price is too high.
8) EH 6CG7 sounds opposite to EH 6922. When EH 6922 is a dark tube EH 6CG7 is a bright, with no so much bass in it. And it sound to me like solid state amp with it insive Vali 2+, what I didn't search in hybrid amp.

So the prices to make more objective judgement: 1 - free, 2 - 10 USD, 3 - 28 USD, 4 - 28 USD (bought for 13 in opened box), 5 - 10 USD (for 4 tubes got that price), 6 - around 3 USD (very cheap), 7 - 45 USD, 8 - 22 USD.

And summary:

1) Best budget tube - 6N1P-EV clear winner. You can't get more capable tube for this price. I have Voshod plant tube (with flying penis logo). Reflektor 6N1P-EV may sound different.
2) Best price/value tube - Tesla E88CC. If in your region Tesla is more expensive then you may consider 6N23P-EV, but in that case it will be also not cheap I suppose.
3) Best quality tube - Tesla E88CC for a price a bought it it's unbeatable.

Also had great Tesla E88CC gold pins, but it has humm sond in one channel and I sent it back for exhange to seller. Whaiting for it return and may be also buy from this seller Siemens E88CC for 29 USD to my collection. And this must be stopped. On 6922 pin layout tubes of course - there are some 6SN7 tubes, that I want to hear. Waiting for tube adapter from fellow Deyan.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #5,571 of 6,436
Where'd you get the Tesla E88CC? Tubedepot.com is out of stock and can't back order.

Mar 13, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #5,572 of 6,436
Where'd you get the Tesla E88CC? Tubedepot.com is out of stock and can't back order.
Hello. I bought them on my domestic site Avito. Though it will be difficult for you to convince seller to send order overseas. Try Ebay at least, but the price will not be so sweat as it was for me... It is some benefit to live in country that still produces tubes.

Mar 15, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #5,573 of 6,436
I have Vali2+ for about a month now and didn't made much tube rolling so far. That what I experienced for that moment:

1) Stock 6BZ7 I didn't used much, It's okay tube, pretty linear and good sounding. You can pretty happy with it until you start rolling tubes. And it is free.
2) 6N23P-EV is a step above stock tube. Have nice low end, clear high treble and lush middle. It also a little agressive to my ear. Good for rock music.
4) EH 6922 is one of my favorites. It has somewhat relaxed, warm sound, with good bass and recessed highs that I can listen for a long period.
5) Tesla E88CC 32 factory is my current tube and it will stay theree I think. It has sow musical sound, that extends on every frequency: puchy bass, lush medium, crispy highs. Also exellent soundstage and very detailed. No drawbacks.
6) 6N1P-EV surprisingly very good sounding tube for it's price. For sound It's like 6N23P-EV but a little brighter and no so agressive.
7) Gold Lion 6922 is a very good and expensive 6922 tube. I can compare it sound to Tesla E88CC but GL6922 is fatiguing to my ears, a can't listen it for long. And a price is too high.
8) EH 6CG7 sounds opposite to EH 6922. When EH 6922 is a dark tube EH 6CG7 is a bright, with no so much bass in it. And it sound to me like solid state amp with it insive Vali 2+, what I didn't search in hybrid amp.

So the prices to make more objective judgement: 1 - free, 2 - 10 USD, 3 - 28 USD, 4 - 28 USD (bought for 13 in opened box), 5 - 10 USD (for 4 tubes got that price), 6 - around 3 USD (very cheap), 7 - 45 USD, 8 - 22 USD.

And summary:

1) Best budget tube - 6N1P-EV clear winner. You can't get more capable tube for this price. I have Voshod plant tube (with flying penis logo). Reflektor 6N1P-EV may sound different.
2) Best price/value tube - Tesla E88CC. If in your region Tesla is more expensive then you may consider 6N23P-EV, but in that case it will be also not cheap I suppose.

Also had great Tesla E88CC gold pins, but it has humm sond in one channel and I sent it back for exhange to seller. Whaiting for it return and may be also buy from this seller Siemens E88CC for 29 USD to my collection. And this must be stopped. On 6922 pin layout tubes of course - there are some 6SN7 tubes, that I want to hear. Waiting for tube adapter from fellow Deyan.
I just recently ordered my Vali 2+ and still waiting for it to be shipped.

But this is super helpful!!! Thank you!!!

Please keep us update on the Tesla E88CC gold pin, I think the regular version is out of stock but I can still find the gold pin in stock. So if the new one you're getting is good then I might go for the gold pin version instead.

Mar 16, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #5,574 of 6,436

Great write up, I'd also recommend the MATSUSHITA / NATIONAL PCC88 / 7DJ8 for a warmer sound.

And summary:

Mar 16, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #5,575 of 6,436

And summary:

Okay I'm having a bit of a dilemma, I can't seem to find Tesla E88CC 32 for a good price. So now I have 2 options:

Either go for:

1. Tesla ECC88
https://www.thetubestore.com/tesla-ecc88-6dj8
With my limited knowledge it sounds like ECC88 is lower grade than E88CC, would it make a noticeable difference?

OR

2. Reflector 6H23P-EB

https://www.thetubestore.com/6h23n-eb-6922
I like rock music so I don't mind it being a bit aggressive sounding.

What do you think? Thanks again!

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #5,576 of 6,436
From what I know development of that type of tubes was 6DJ8 (ECC88) to 6922 (E88CC) to 7308. What makes 7308 tubes the best from it's branch. But not all E88CC will sound better compared to ECC88 tubes. E88CC have better tolerances and QC.

I don't had experienced Tesla ECC88. My Tesla E88CC gold pins will be delivered by end of that week I suppose. Than I can make direct comparison it with 6N23P-EV (got 2 of them actually).

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #5,577 of 6,436
lol this will be my first tube amp (Vali 2+ still on the way here) so I've been reading / learning a lot about tubes the past few weeks.

Again much appreciated on your comparison review it helped a lot, looking forward to the Tesla E88CC vs 6N23P-EV impressions.

Oh on a side note, I notice in your picture it says 6N23P-EB but in your message it says 6N23P-EV, is it actually suppose to be EB or EV, also are they actually different? Just double checking so if I end up going that route I'm not getting the wrong one. Thanks!

Mar 17, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #5,578 of 6,436
lol this will be my first tube amp (Vali 2+ still on the way here) so I've been reading / learning a lot about tubes the past few weeks.

Again much appreciated on your comparison review it helped a lot, looking forward to the Tesla E88CC vs 6N23P-EV impressions.

Oh on a side note, I notice in your picture it says 6N23P-EB but in your message it says 6N23P-EV, is it actually suppose to be EB or EV, also are they actually different? Just double checking so if I end up going that route I'm not getting the wrong one. Thanks!
On photo I wrote actual marking on lamp, that you will see holding that lamp in your hand. In description I did write it latin co-symbol name.

Mar 21, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #5,579 of 6,436
So, two new additions to the brotherhood. Well... it's Tesla E88CC gold and Siemens E88CC. In that review I will compare new tubes to Tesla E88CC blue tip as reference, it's much more easier than search micronuances in that number of tubes I listened.

Tesla E88CC gold had almost similar sound signature to It's non gold, blue tip variant. But it has lower resolution in all ways. That's must be the cause why military chose for them blue tipped tubes (not for headphone amps of course). Otherway good tube, cost me 13 USD.

Siemens E88CC has very clean, engaging sound with good tight bass. Exellent but pricy 29 USD tube.
DSC_1783.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #5,580 of 6,436
About 6N23P tubes. I have 3 types of them: original 6N23P, and two improved 6N23P-EV of Reflektor and Foton plants, 1974 and 1982 years of production respectively. All tubes shares a little coked highs, meaty bass, slightly aggressive sound. In fact I do prefer Foton 6N23P-EV of that three tubes. But even with it when I start to listen for example heavy rock composition and first happy with rude sound that I get, I eventualy begin to lower volume of amp because that soun is fatiguing. I can withstand around 11 o'clock level half an hour I think and get volume down. With sound pressure relief dissapears detail and clarity, sound becomes muffled. Some sources incline that 6N23P sounds better after 100 hours of work, but I can't confirm it. I don't have so called "holy grail version", didn't find information on it, officially it never called that name. It always amused me that fancy name you add to selling goods name makes them twice of their prcie (bad boys, copper bells, holy hand grenade)...

In my opinion in one tube amplifier which you can not switch tumbler to another tube when changing music genre it would be wise to have one tube that is universal. For 6922 types for me it is Siemens E88CC. For lower price Tesla E88CC blue tip. Tesla E88CC gold at least. There are much more expensive and rare tubes of course but mentioned above are of good availabilty.
DSC_1784.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back