Vali 2 tube rolling
Feb 5, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #5,191 of 6,436
Hi all, this is my first post here on head-fi. Just snagged a Vali 2 from another forum member and also got a Telefunken E88CC- truly a great sounding tube compared to my RCA and EH 6922's. Anyone else tried the tele? I also recently bought a WE396a, but im still waiting on the adapter!
Congrats on your first post. Welcome to tube rolling. You're off to a good start. I never liked the 6922 EH myself. Wait till you start rolling the 6sn7 and varients there of.

Feb 5, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #5,192 of 6,436
While I do not have a Vali2, I do have a Valhalla 2 and can say that the WE396As are quite nice.

Welcome and enjoy!!

Feb 5, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #5,193 of 6,436
Hi all, this is my first post here on head-fi. Just snagged a Vali 2 from another forum member and also got a Telefunken E88CC- truly a great sounding tube compared to my RCA and EH 6922's. Anyone else tried the tele? I also recently bought a WE396a, but im still waiting on the adapter!

Welcome!

The 50's vintage Telefunken ECC88 (6DJ8 rather than 6922) is one of my all time favorite tubes of this type. Not sure I've ever heard the E88CC. Difference is probably not dramatic between the type so much as it is the year of manufacture, but that's just a guess on my part. I have several RCA 6DJ8's that are decent tubes for the money (to my ears), but don't reach the heights of the Tele. And the EH? Yuck. A little better than a Philips ECG, but not by much. The WE sounds quite nice in the Vali...bet you like it!

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #5,195 of 6,436
I just received a Tung-Sol 6SN7 with an adapter. Wanted to see how the Vali looked with a giant tube. Does look kinda cool.
You do have other choices of course. 9C1E5668-F85B-4EA4-855B-5D48B4DD8648.jpeg

Feb 12, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #5,197 of 6,436
Before dual triodes were used in tubes, there were single triode tubes. IMHO they have a bit more separation and you do not have to worry about shielding between the triodes to prevent cross talk. I have a library of tube manuals from the 40's, 50's, 60's etc and in there you can learn about 6j5's or 7A4's etc. Same gain and filament current as 6sn7's.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #5,198 of 6,436
That is pretty amazing!

Would appear he photoshopped out the titanium outriggers that keep it from toppling over. Gluing the bottom of the Vali to the tabletop is an option too. :smile:

Feb 12, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #5,199 of 6,436
Would appear he photoshopped out the titanium outriggers that keep it from toppling over. Gluing the bottom of the Vali to the tabletop is an option too. :smile:
Shhh you are giving away secrets. Don't you have some tube fondling you should be doing?

Feb 12, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #5,200 of 6,436
Shhh you are giving away secrets. Don't you have some tube fondling you should be doing?

I should be packing up a special mystery tube for you. But now that you mentioned fondling, I may get delayed.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Feb 14, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #5,202 of 6,436
How do you like the sound?

Well it looks cool :)

I don't like it. However I don't know if it's the tube type or this tube.
- It has plenty of gain so that's cool
- It's noisy and VERY microphonic
- It's warm and tubey at the expense of responsiveness and clarity
- Mids aren't as clear and forward as I'd like

So it has already been put away. I have two more 6SN7 on the way to test out - a JJ and an EH. Also ordered an NOS Tung-Sol 5670.

So far my favorite tubes are the stock tube and an EH 6CG7

Feb 14, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #5,203 of 6,436
I've been listening and testing the WE396a I just snagged on ebay. It's DEAD silent on high gain and volume maxed out on my Grados. It sounds pretty perfect. It's extremely transparent. It's maybe a touch on the warm side, but really just the littlest touch. It doesn't have any character to it that I've noticed, it just presents the music cleanly (but not boringly).

Anyone else try this tube and have thoughts?

Feb 14, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #5,204 of 6,436
I've been listening and testing the WE396a I just snagged on ebay. It's DEAD silent on high gain and volume maxed out on my Grados. It sounds pretty perfect. It's extremely transparent. It's maybe a touch on the warm side, but really just the littlest touch. It doesn't have any character to it that I've noticed, it just presents the music cleanly (but not boringly).

Anyone else try this tube and have thoughts?

I know there are others on this thread with a TON more experience with them that will likely weigh in as well, but I did purchase one of the WE396A tubes a few weeks ago, and like you, find it to be an extremely detailed and neutral tube for sure. I must say, and I did a few pages back, that the 7N7 tubes (Frankentube specifically) I purchased on bcowen's recommendation is (to me) otherworldly!
The option (with appropriate adapters) to try the 6SN7 tubes and single octel tubes in tandem is SUCH a neat way to keep the music interesting and fresh - I am really glad I picked up my Vali!

Cheers,
Kev

Feb 14, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #5,205 of 6,436
I know there are others on this thread with a TON more experience with them that will likely weigh in as well, but I did purchase one of the WE396A tubes a few weeks ago, and like you, find it to be an extremely detailed and neutral tube for sure. I must say, and I did a few pages back, that the 7N7 tubes (Frankentube specifically) I purchased on bcowen's recommendation is (to me) otherworldly!
The option (with appropriate adapters) to try the 6SN7 tubes and single octel tubes in tandem is SUCH a neat way to keep the music interesting and fresh - I am really glad I picked up my Vali!

Cheers,
Kev

Oh neat! I will definitely check out the 7n7 frankentube!! Sounds fun. I'm dying to jump into the 6sn7 game too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back