Vali 2 tube rolling
Sep 8, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #4,576 of 6,436
Funny how they're always flying upside down. Too much vodka on the assembly lines, I'd guess. :relaxed::laughing:
Well, they say the workers got drunk at the Soviet factories. Or, rather, came drunk to work. I do not know. All tube factories were military industry in the Soviet, with background checks and security clearances. I guess being drunk at work was not encouraged, to put it mildly.

Below a pic of the pins of my "TF" with the flying saucer. Note the solder that looks OK. Another dead giveaway of the Soviet production are missing pins that are not used in the tube. Saving parts.
EDIT: well. no longer sure of missing pins being a sign of Soviet. I have aother single triods in the same configuration. Not even sure of the flying saucer. Will post later

IMG_20190908_185151.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #4,577 of 6,436
What is your fascination with electronics ending in 'UNE'? Is there some hidden message to Amazon with the A-Z? :confused:

I don't name the stuff, I just blow my money on it although both pieces in the photo were bought at an opportune time...used at less than half price. :smile:

Sep 11, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #4,580 of 6,436
This is going to get me excommunicated from this thread, but I have to say that I have found my sonic nirvana. The recipe is Tidal played through Foobar using the DSD Transcoder to a native DSD compatible dac into the Vali 2 with an Electro-harmonix 12ax7a. There, I said it. A $12.95 new production tube that has the sound of a NOS. Warm, detailed with depth and width. I've said enough, time to go back and listen to more music.

Sep 11, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #4,581 of 6,436
Folks. It is with a sad heart that I must report that a friend and one our HF members, Robert Padgett has passed away. :frowning2:

Sep 12, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #4,583 of 6,436
Folks. It is with a sad heart that I must report that a friend and one our HF members, Robert Padgett has passed away. :frowning2:
:frowning2: May he rest in peace. Ripper, you have my condolences.

Sep 12, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #4,584 of 6,436
My thoughts are with his family and friends!

Sep 12, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #4,585 of 6,436
May his soul rest in peace. He is listening to a better sound now. Indeed, he will be missed.

Sep 13, 2019 at 6:38 AM Post #4,588 of 6,436
Sep 13, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #4,589 of 6,436
Sep 13, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #4,590 of 6,436
I have bought 15 NOS NIB Hytron-marked 6J5GT in original Hytron boxes. In Brussels, from an old, established dealer, $5 apiece.

The sound very good, as good as most of my 6J5GT bar Sylvania's metal base.

The branding is a little odd: no date codes, and most of Hytron branding included Made in the U.S.A. under Hytron. Yet it is exactly the same as on the boxes. The glass envelope is etched "BELGIUM". Why would it be so?

hytron2.jpg

Looking inside, things get even more interesting: this Hytron left, Zaerix-branded "AEG-Telefunken" boxed in the middle, Soyuz Novosibirsk 6C2C on the right. Look somewhat similar, if not exactly the same.

hytron.jpg zaerix.jpg novo.jpg

One might think they could have been all made on the same production line. Yet why different branding??? Cold war grey imports of Soviet-made tubes? Zaerix had been known for doing this. But then, why brand Soviet tubes Hytron, put them in original looking boxes, etch BELGIUM on the glass? To sell them to NATO? Come on.

Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back