1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Vali 2 tube rolling

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by capt369, Jan 8, 2016.
First

Back
298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307
309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316
Next

Last
  1. bcowen
    True, of course. But out of interest, I re-tested the first Frankie I started with (the Lansdale labeled 7N7) a few weeks ago. That tube has probably in excess of 1k hours on it, some of that just at idle but the majority of it playing music. It measures identically to where it started. Now there is always some variation in test readings with a Hickok from day to day, but that variation is pretty small so any actual drop in transconductance masked by that would be pretty small too. I have a '54 Foton with a lot of hours on it....I'll run that through the tester and see how it reads. Original factory solder in that one though...

2. bcowen
    I have no peers. Only superiors and inferiors. I'm in the middle. :stuck_out_tongue:

3. attmci
    No worries, you are a true tube roller from that famous thread. Have you heard of Christmas tree tube?

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/feliks-audio-elise-new-thread.782754/page-871

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  4. TK16
    How you liking the pre burned in pair of WE JW 396A's? :ksc75smile:

bcowen likes this.
  5. bcowen
    *Ebay Seller Alert*

Just received these. Advertised as "Unused / Tested." On the Hickok 752A, minimum good for a 6DJ8 (which is the equivalent of a 6N23) is 775. Two tubes had such high interelement leakage (200k) I didn't even do a GM test on them for fear of damaging my tester. Two tubes had both triodes that registered below 200. Of the other 4, there was only ONE triode on ONE tube that measured above 775 -- all the rest were well below minimum. Unused? Unlikely. Tested? With what? A multimeter? I did re-test a couple other 6DJ8's just to be sure my tester hadn't gone whacko, and those tested exactly as they had before...so it's not a tester issue.

I've asked for my money back with no response. I'll wait the 7 days required by Ebay and then file a claim if still no response, but my advice is to steer very clear of this seller. Not a lot of money involved (only $30 with shipping), but if he's misrepresenting these as badly as he did it's probable he's doing it with whatever else he's selling.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6N23P-X8-V...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

upload_2019-9-22_9-50-55.png

TK16 likes this.
  6. TK16
    Lol, think I warned you against buying 6N23P`s. If you want Russian 9 pins stick to the 6N3P. Every single pair tested close to 5,000 Gm and many much higher than that. 50`s Reflektor or Foton are the best.; 60`s are quite good as well.

bcowen likes this.
  7. bcowen
    Yes, you did warn me about the 6N23P's.....*after* I bought those. :slight_smile:

I'll go look for some 6N3P's now....

I also just received an email from a Ukraine seller I've bought from before (with good results). He has 8 ribbed plate '52 - '55 Foton 6N8S's that he can get from a friend, and says they will be fully tested before shipping. I spoke for 4 of them. If anybody else is interested in the other 4, I'll be happy to send his contact info....PM me if interested.

TK16 likes this.
  8. bcowen
    So what do you think about these? Triple mica, but '80's production...

upload_2019-9-22_11-0-32.png

9. TK16
  10. Keno18
    Update on my sonic nirvana: Switched from Tidal to Amazon Music. Amazon now streams in actual hi-res. Compared the two, Amazon won out. Better SQ and app UI. Still using the 12ax7 EH. Keeps the post on topic.:)

bcowen likes this.
  11. bcowen
    Decided to give Amazon a try. Desktop player downloads and installs just fine. Try to open it....just nothing. Reboot. Nothing. Uninstall/reinstall/reboot. Nothing. Grrrrr. Uninstalled permanently and back to Tidal. Unless it is a monumental (and I mean MONUMENTAL ) improvement in sound quality, I'll keep on spending $7 more a month for Tidal which always works without issue. Amazon will have to find someone else to be a debugger for them...not my calling in life. :relaxed:

12. Paladin79
    Very odd, I have it running on 6 devices no problem.

On a couple devices I already had Amazon music and Amazon HD started running automatically lol

I use Windows 10 and Apple both

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    ScubaMan2017 and bcowen like this.
  13. bcowen
    I'm just trying to get it to run on my Win 10 laptop. No go. I've spent over an hour trying every trick I know, which exceeded my patience level with buggy software by about 59 minutes. Be interested to see if there's any inquiry by Amazon since I cancelled my subscription 2 hours after starting it. :relaxed:

ScubaMan2017 likes this.
  14. Keno18
    Didn't play through the desktop speakers? What are your speakers set to?

bcowen likes this.
  15. bcowen
    Intended to play it through the Lyr 3 and my headphones. The program doesn't open up at all. Double-click the desktop icon, and nothing. Go into the program directory and click directly on the .exe file, and nothing. Doesn't even show up in Task Manager. Tried opening with "Run as Administrator," tried running in compatibility mode...nothing. Like I'm trying to open a desktop shortcut that leads nowhere, except I don't even get a message that the program couldn't be found. It installs with no error messages and puts up a desktop icon, but that's the end of it.

Edit: Put this on to get rid of my frustration, but it just made me sad. I loved Ocasek. :frowning2: Soiunds awesome with Mr. '52 Foton though. :laughing:

upload_2019-9-22_19-1-8.png

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    ScubaMan2017 and Ripper2860 like this.
First

Back
298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307
309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316
Next

Last