Vali 2 tube rolling
Jul 10, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #3,436 of 6,436
Jul 10, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #3,437 of 6,436
No logo is not huge deal (they can rub off), but the fact that the person listing does not show the bottom of the tubes and the TF embossed diamond <> on the bottom is suspect. Perhaps you can ask for a pic of the bottom of the tube. Gotta say -- I have not seen many (or any TF 6DJ8s with gold or copper pins, but I'll leave that to the other experts here. Structurally it does look like a TF ECC88, however.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #3,439 of 6,436
I'm a new Vali 2 owner trying to get into the confusing world of tube rolling. Any guesses as to whether this Telefunken ECC88 6DJ8 tube (which seems to normally go for around $75 used) is genuine Telefunken? It doesn't have the Telefunken logo that I am seeing on other tubes.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-ECC88-6D...999829&hash=item469950c153:g:-K0AAOSwFaFdJlD3

As Ripper noted, the fact they are purposely omitting a clear shot of the diamond on the bottom is suspect. If you save the 2 pictures and then zoom in on them, it's pretty clear there is no diamond. No diamond means it is not a true Telefunken. Just that simple. They also seem to have a little difficulty with math. If 62 is minimum on their tester and indicates 65% of a new tube, then a new tube would measure at 95, not 82. So the tube is NOT new, and to have exactly matched triodes in a used vintage tube is even more suspect than the intentional lack of a photo of the diamond. My recommendation would be to not only pass on this tube, but pass on this seller.

Jul 10, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #3,440 of 6,436
Jul 10, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #3,443 of 6,436
As Ripper noted, the fact they are purposely omitting a clear shot of the diamond on the bottom is suspect. If you save the 2 pictures and then zoom in on them, it's pretty clear there is no diamond. No diamond means it is not a true Telefunken. Just that simple. They also seem to have a little difficulty with math. If 62 is minimum on their tester and indicates 65% of a new tube, then a new tube would measure at 95, not 82. So the tube is NOT new, and to have exactly matched triodes in a used vintage tube is even more suspect than the intentional lack of a photo of the diamond. My recommendation would be to not only pass on this tube, but pass on this seller.

This was a very well written and thoughtful response. Of course I just got out of one of my book clubs and we tend to hit the cafe for beer and wine so maybe it will look different for me tomorrow, for tonight I am suitably impressed. :ksc75smile:

Jul 11, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #3,444 of 6,436
Looking for a 57 PCC88 Valvo Hamburg single, does anybody have 1 handy for sale? Thought I`d give it a shot, seems like a bunch of GE fanboys in here especially @bcowen :ksc75smile:

There was a Valvo doing 45 mph in the left lane on my way to work this morning. Wish I'd been driving a bulldozer. Oh, wait...maybe it was spelled Volvo. Nevermind.
Second door on the right....we only like GE tubes here. :slight_smile:

Jul 11, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #3,445 of 6,436
There was a Valvo doing 45 mph in the left lane on my way to work this morning. Wish I'd been driving a bulldozer. Oh, wait...maybe it was spelled Volvo. Nevermind.
Second door on the right....we only like GE tubes here. :slight_smile:

You may or may not know the etymology but the word volvo used to mean "I tube roll", later the meaning was shortened to "I roll", but I could be wrong of course. :)

It is nice to see @bcowen practicing a non-derogatory statement about GE, kinda, sorta. If all goes well by this time next week he will have tubes in hand and will render his expert opinion on the mystery tubes.

Jul 11, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #3,446 of 6,436
You may or may not know the etymology but the word volvo used to mean "I tube roll", later the meaning was shortened to "I roll", but I could be wrong of course. :)

This morning it meant "I roll slowly." Or more precisely "I don't have a friggin' clue how to drive an automobile." Direct Swedish translations are difficult I guess. :slight_smile:

It is nice to see @bcowen practicing a non-derogatory statement about GE, kinda, sorta.

All the derogatory talk about GE tubes has resulted in the prices dropping to pennies on the dollar, so now that I've scooped up 5k of them on the cheap we need to start talking about how awesome they are. The master plan is unfolding exactly as hoped for. :sunglasses:

The tubes that REALLY suck are 50's / 60's Telefunkens, Genalex, Philips and Volvos Valvos, any European-made tube with a pinched waist bottle shape, any pre-1960 Western Electric 300B, and especially (oh, SO especially) any tubes made in the Mitcham, Heerlen, Blackburn, or Hamburg factories regardless of date. If you have any of those, get rid of 'em now before word gets out. :stuck_out_tongue:

Jul 11, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #3,447 of 6,436
This morning it meant "I roll slowly." Or more precisely "I don't have a friggin' clue how to drive an automobile." Direct Swedish translations are difficult I guess. :slight_smile:

All the derogatory talk about GE tubes has resulted in the prices dropping to pennies on the dollar, so now that I've scooped up 5k of them on the cheap we need to start talking about how awesome they are. The master plan is unfolding exactly as hoped for. :sunglasses:

The tubes that REALLY suck are 50's / 60's Telefunkens, Genalex, Philips and Volvos Valvos, any European-made tube with a pinched waist bottle shape, any pre-1960 Western Electric 300B, and especially (oh, SO especially) any tubes made in the Mitcham, Heerlen, Blackburn, or Hamburg factories regardless of date. If you have any of those, get rid of 'em now before word gets out. :stuck_out_tongue:

Now the real great GE 6sn7 is the one going to you, you may have some of them in your 5,000 tube stash but I will give you the particulars on it as we form a partnership to sell the appropriate year and model.

(How hard can it be to add or erase a few extra white dots on the side of a tube? This could be a goldmine!)

Jul 11, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #3,448 of 6,436

What do you think about this listing? Amperex font kinda thin? No pictures of codes, appear to be small halo o getter, not Heerlen 6922.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-QUAD-A...s-ECC88-CCA-NEW-4-Perfect-Valves/183877914824
Other than that, good to go?!??

Jul 11, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #3,449 of 6,436
What do you think about this listing? Amperex font kinda thin? No pictures of codes, appear to be small halo o getter, not Heerlen 6922.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-QUAD-A...s-ECC88-CCA-NEW-4-Perfect-Valves/183877914824
Other than that, good to go?!??

BangyBang is getting pretty sloppy with his re-screening. Maybe he's finally figured out that anyone that knows anything about tubes isn't going to buy his fakes, and those that don't won't know the difference anyway?

His "USA Made" relabels look a bit more believable. Maybe he should use that same screen for the others:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GOLD-PIN-M...988751&hash=item46992f7407:g:gWMAAOSwX9BdI~G4

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #3,450 of 6,436
I'm gonna hold out for the special BB 'calligraphy' version ...

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back