Vali 2 tube rolling
Jul 12, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #3,466 of 6,436
I am guessing that eBay tubes are possible frauds and counterfeits, and one might look at reputable brick and mortar business like Upscale Audio, Vivatubes.com, and Tubemongers.com if you want something that is actually a tube, as advertised. It appears that the "qualifications" to be an eBay tube vendor are similar to the intelligence testing required to get internet access-- non-existent. While the three transactions I have had on eBay resulted in only one bad experience, the more expensive and "rare" that they claim their product, the more likely it is a rebranded GE valve or worse (Is that possible?) it could be a counterfeit tube made to the lowest possible standards in a Chinese factory run by members of the People's Army.
I`m adding Brent Jessee to the "bad" list. Recently paid top dollar for a pair of Brimar 12AU7 square getters. His test readings on the better testing tube was 2,200-2,300. On my Hickok 752 this tube tested 1,800-1,350 and noisy. Won`t buy from him again. 1,350 is the minimum testing. Paying those premium money tubes, I`d expect proper testing tubes every time. @bcowen had a bad experience with him as well. GE possibly.

Jul 12, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #3,467 of 6,436
@bcowen had a bad experience with him as well. GE possibly.

Like I'd actually pay money for a GE. LOL!!

It was a WH-D 6SN7 that struggled to hit minimum readings....

Jul 12, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #3,468 of 6,436
Robert, I agree. And I'll add (of my own personal opinion) that buying tubes on eBay without having a tube tester is at best risky, and at worst can be catastrophic. There is no way of knowing if the tube(s) purchased perform at a level even close to what the seller is advertising, no way of knowing if the tube has been tested at all (regardless of what the listing might state), and no way of knowing if the tube may even have a dead short in it that could cause serious damage to some components. Simple emission testers are dirt cheap (many people spend 2x - 3x as much on a single pair of tubes), and will at least provide enough info that the tube is safe to use and has output in a usable range.

I have been involved in tubes for less than a year, and it amazes me that a vendor would offer a tube which others sell for hundreds more. Beware, buyer, on eBay, if it looks too good to be true, Trust and Believe it is NOT.
I don't have a tube tester, and I guess the 12 tubes I have bought was sheer luck. But, I also am no longer buying "Tests Good" tubes from eBay vendors.
This is not to say that eBay folks are ALL bad, but without a tester, you are playing Russian Roulette buying a $12 "real" ECC88 Bugle Boy for a $400 amp...

Jul 12, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #3,469 of 6,436
Like I'd actually pay money for a GE. LOL!!

It was a WH-D 6SN7 that struggled to hit minimum readings....
Hmmm I should give you the option to buy the top four tubes in the challenge without knowing brand, that could prove interesting. :smile_phones:

Jul 12, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #3,470 of 6,436
But, I also am no longer buying "Tests Good" tubes from eBay vendors.

"Tests Good" is just another way of saying "Doesn't Test Bad." :relaxed:

The tube could be sitting right on its bare minimum value for "good," a needle width away from being "not good." So how much life does a tube like that have left? 100 hours? Maybe 200. Maybe 500 or 1000. Just no way of knowing. And after all that, there's no way of knowing if the tester the seller is using is working properly or is even remotely in calibration. I've purchased probably 40 testers in the past couple years to refurbish and re-sell. Most have been advertised as "Works!!" Some "Works Perfectly!" None have worked perfectly, and only a few have actually worked at all, at least as far as being reasonably calibrated and working well enough to give reliable readings. Point being is that some sellers might honestly believe they are selling a tube as advertised, but have no clue how to calibrate their tester (or are too lazy to do it) or that their tester is wildly out of calibration to begin with so the readings obtained are pretty much fake news.

Jul 12, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #3,471 of 6,436
Hmmm I should give you the option to buy the top four tubes in the challenge without knowing brand, that could prove interesting. :smile_phones:

Yeah, attractive too. I'm sure the looks of the Lyr would be greatly enhanced with a PVC pipe sticking out of the top of it long term. LOL!!!

Jul 12, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #3,472 of 6,436
IMG_0998.jpg Very very soon, these will be in the hands of @bcowen. Four digit numbers burned into each so that I will always know which tube is which, no matter how much Bill argues. :L3000:

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #3,473 of 6,436
Yeah, attractive too. I'm sure the looks of the Lyr would be greatly enhanced with a PVC pipe sticking out of the top of it long term. LOL!!!

The tubes would be removable with absolutely no damage done, unless you cook them for 100 hours or some such lol. You might just up your image a bit, consider them ghetto chic and you will be fine.

Each will have a Greek warrior imprint on two sides. That which was intaglio is now cameo, you may not know what that means but it just reeks of class. There is a mystery within each pvc pipe, you are Theseus and each pvc tube is your labyrinth.

Does that not sound better than, this cost me $6.00 and a trip to Lowes? Use your imagination man! :ksc75smile:

I am working on them as we speak, I should start sealing them up soon, photos have already been taken, but I have a few more to do just to make absolutely certain I am covered should you question the integrity of what I am doing here.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #3,475 of 6,436
What is the dosage on the tubes? 4x day? See it is child proofed so I won`t be able to open the bottle myself.

The bottles are indeed Bill proof.

The dosage is similar to prednisone. You should start out with 8 the first day, then 7, then 6. It is better to taper off gradually (redundancy). When you get to the very last pvc tube you should have then picked your favorite or least favorite tube!!! There is also a chance your poison ivy will be better or you will be banned from baseball.

Jul 12, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #3,476 of 6,436
... you are Sisyphus and each pvc tube is your Boulder.

Fixed it for you ...

-- or --

You are Schroeder and each PVC tube contains a Cat. :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #3,477 of 6,436
Fixed it for you ...

-- or --

You are Schroeder and each PVC tube contains a Cat. :wink:

I am about to wrap up this project, now I just hope everything holds together and nothing gets too hot lol. I let one run for several hours but I may not have that kind of time with all eight of the test tubes. Before long I will send over photos with little cards next to each tube and pvc holder. With that you will know which tube is where, just don't tell Bill any of the tubes other than the fact one of them is a GE.:smile_phones:

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #3,478 of 6,436
I am about to wrap up this project, now I just hope everything holds together and nothing gets too hot lol. I let one run for several hours but I may not have that kind of time with all eight of the test tubes. Before long I will send over photos with little cards next to each tube and pvc holder. With that you will know which tube is where, just don't tell Bill any of the tubes other than the fact one of them is a GE.:smile_phones:

You'll have to spell GE for @Ripper2860 or he'll get it wrong. Don't want the test invalidated....

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #3,479 of 6,436
See it is child proofed so I won`t be able to open the bottle myself.

Yeah, that worried me too. Went ahead and ordered some more cut-off discs for the Dremel to make it easier. :smiley:

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #3,480 of 6,436
Yeah, that worried me too. Went ahead and ordered some more cut-off discs for the Dremel to make it easier. :smiley:
Good luck with that, these could be pretty permanent after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back