Vali 2 tube rolling
Feb 25, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #1,111 of 6,436
Phooking struth mate! :dizzy_face:

Feb 25, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #1,112 of 6,436
IMAG0049.jpg
IMAG0050.jpg
IMAG0053.jpg
Please don't buy fakes. Here is a reference photo: 6n8s, 15 79 reflector, 6n9s reflector square getter. 6n9s square getter sound similar to 15 79.
If you can read and solder consider other options than 6dj8, for example, 6n16GVIR (black 6n1p for reference)

Feb 25, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #1,113 of 6,436
Please don't buy fakes. Here is a reference photo: 6n8s, 15 79 reflector, 6n9s reflector square getter. 6n9s square getter sound similar to 15 79.
If you can read and solder consider other options than 6dj8, for example, 6n16GVIR (black 6n1p for reference)

Many thanks for the reference photos!

Now that's a really interesting idea. Buy some extra adapters and solder to the adapter, leaving the Vali untouched. I can solder....reading might be a stretch though. :rolling_eyes:

Do you, by chance, have a cross reference list (or website) that would show the compatible flying lead tubes?

Feb 25, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #1,114 of 6,436
Phooking struth mate! :dizzy_face:

Giving the Ken-Rad VT-231 a run for its' money today. After 30 minutes of warm-up, first listen indicates a huge, nicely layered soundstage. But it's rather harsh and fatiguing right now, so more to come after it gets 25 - 30 hours of play time.

aqgj5.jpg

Feb 25, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #1,115 of 6,436
Just these ones: https://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/early-russian-6h8c-6sn7

I grabbed two awhile ago from a seller who was local all NOS. Very tempted to take a 'risk' on a metal base 1578 Melz, can get one for a decent price, tests ok but you never know!

Looks identical to the Foton I bought. I only paid $6 however… did have to wait ~1month to get it

Giving the Ken-Rad VT-231 a run for its' money today. After 30 minutes of warm-up, first listen indicates a huge, nicely layered soundstage. But it's rather harsh and fatiguing right now, so more to come after it gets 25 - 30 hours of play time.

aqgj5.jpg

You run your Vali in low gain? Do you find there's any difference in sound? Can't say I've noticed a big change. The measurements seem to imply there should be an audible change. Low gain having negative feedback lowers distortion and theoretically lessens the impact of the tube on the overall signature. At least that's what I've gathered

Feb 25, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #1,116 of 6,436
Looks identical to the Foton I bought. I only paid $6 however… did have to wait ~1month to get it

You run your Vali in low gain? Do you find there's any difference in sound? Can't say I've noticed a big change. The measurements seem to imply there should be an audible change. Low gain having negative feedback lowers distortion and theoretically lessens the impact of the tube on the overall signature. At least that's what I've gathered

99% of the time I'm in low gain. If I really want to accelerate my hearing loss, I'll go to high gain for things like the aforementioned Yes tracks that seem to be recorded at a lower level and need the extra bump. But I didn't even know about the feedback thing - I was using low gain more for the impedance match. Using the standard rule of thumb of at least 8X the amp's output impedance to the headphone's impedance, my Alpha Primes (45-47 ohm impedance depending on where you look) are right on the edge with the high gain output impedance of 5.8 ohms. I'm probably being ridiculous in even considering it as close as it is, but then I've been an audio nerd for too long to change my approach now. :expressionless: I can't say I've heard much difference between the two settings, but I haven't done any meaningful tests either.

Feb 25, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #1,117 of 6,436
99% of the time I'm in low gain. If I really want to accelerate my hearing loss, I'll go to high gain for things like the aforementioned Yes tracks that seem to be recorded at a lower level and need the extra bump. But I didn't even know about the feedback thing - I was using low gain more for the impedance match. Using the standard rule of thumb of at least 8X the amp's output impedance to the headphone's impedance, my Alpha Primes (45-47 ohm impedance depending on where you look) are right on the edge with the high gain output impedance of 5.8 ohms. I'm probably being ridiculous in even considering it as close as it is, but then I've been an audio nerd for too long to change my approach now. :expressionless: I can't say I've heard much difference between the two settings, but I haven't done any meaningful tests either.

I decided to just play it on the safe side and drink the Kool-aid. Been running high gain with the volume never higher than 9 oclock:wink:

Feb 25, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #1,118 of 6,436
Lately, I've just been too lazy to 'flick the switch'. Heck I've even been running the HD600's in low gain, yeah I gotta crank it on the volume knob but it's no prob.

Some Tubes are pesky though and the noise floor isn't as black but that's the price you pay I guess!

Feb 25, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #1,120 of 6,436
As long as you're enjoying the music luckybaer! :D

Feb 25, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #1,121 of 6,436
I'm in high gain for: HD650, DT880, K601

I'm in low gain for: AH-D2000, TX-X00, SR-80e

Goes high/low depending on who knows? DT770/80, M220

Am I doing anything incorrectly?

There's several things interacting here: the cans, the tube, how loud you want it, and (ultimately) what sounds good to you. I think the only way to do it wrong is if one setting sounds better than the other...and you don't use that setting. :nerd:

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #1,122 of 6,436
Haha... I just do whatever sounds good. For example, I just put in a pretty compressed-sounding and relatively hot CD. I had to drop the gain down to low, and set the volume knob to about 9:30 on the Vali 2 + DT880 combo. Good grief!!

Feb 26, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #1,123 of 6,436
I have a Mullard Master Series 10M ECC88/6DJ8 coming sometime later this week and a Tungsram E88CC 6922 already at home on my desk waiting to be tried out. I MAY buy a new production Genalex Gold Lion, but if I don't, I'm pretty much done with buying tubes for a while (going to save up for a big rig, as I'm pretty happy with my little desktop setup). So... my tube inventory will consist of:

6BZ7 [Canada] - came with the Vali 2
JJ E88CC/6922 - steel pin version
EH 6922 - steel pin version
Matsu$h!ta/National PCC/7DJ8
Philips PCC88/7DJ8
Tungsram E88CC 6922
Mullard MS 10M ECC88/6DJ8

Just got new pads on my favorite headphone [DT880/250 ohm], so it is time to do a lot of listening! :beyersmile:

Feb 26, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #1,125 of 6,436
I was going to wait to say anything, but I bought a second Vali 2 yesterday and all fo the accouterment to go USB in to Modi > Split between Vali A and Vali B > out to A/B switch to headphones. Should be all setup middle end of week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back