Vali 2 tube rolling
Sep 12, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #931 of 6,436
Sep 14, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #932 of 6,436
ECC88/E88CC Mullard, Tesla, Tungsram, or a Bugle Boy might suit.

After listening to the Tesla E88CC, for the most part, it has lived up to expectations already expressed in this thread. The only fly in the ointment is that I find it a little too bright.

How would you rank the following 6922 tubes in the order of brightest sounding?

1.) EH 6922
2.) Gold Lion E88CC
3.) Philips PCC88
4.) Tesla E88CC

FYI, for the time being, since time is of the essence, I have decided to avoid tubes that require an adapter.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #933 of 6,436
After listening to the Tesla E88CC, for the most part, it has lived up to expectations already expressed in this thread. The only fly in the ointment is that I find it a little too bright.

How would you rank the following 6922 tubes in the order of brightest sounding?

1.) EH 6922
2.) Gold Lion E88CC
3.) Philips PCC88
4.) Tesla E88CC

FYI, for the time being, since time is of the essence, I have decided to avoid tubes that require an adapter.

UPDATE: After burning in the Tesla tube for a couple more hours, most of the treble harshness has subsided. I am now quite pleased with it.

What I have learned is that assuming that the tube in question has been burned in for a minimum of 24-hrs. or maximum of 50-hrs., for best possible sound it must be warmed up for a minimum of 30-45 min.(if switched on from a cold state) and played with music at medium or slightly above medium volume for a minimum of 3-hrs. before listening to it critically.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #934 of 6,436
Out of curiosity, how does the Philips PCC88 compare with the Tesla E88CC? Which of the two is brighter? Any input would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #937 of 6,436
Im a newbie to tubes and rolling and amps and will be needing help. I have recently aquired an hd800 classic and comparing it to the k712 driven by the chord mojo, the highs seems unnatural(newbie term) to me compared to the k712. Instruments with distant depth have a low macrodinamics and seems not present.

I have pulled the trigger on a vali 2 which will arrive on october and was wondering what is a good tube for the vali 2. Others recommend the GE5670 and have questions.

1. What is the adapter specs needed for the GE5670.
2. Are there other tubes better for the hd800 and what is the adapter needed.

Looking for the most natural sound signature, detailed imaging with wide soundstage for the hd800 driven by the mojo>vali2

Thanks

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #938 of 6,436
Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #939 of 6,436
Im a newbie to tubes and rolling and amps and will be needing help. I have recently aquired an hd800 classic and comparing it to the k712 driven by the chord mojo, the highs seems unnatural(newbie term) to me compared to the k712. Instruments with distant depth have a low macrodinamics and seems not present.

I have pulled the trigger on a vali 2 which will arrive on october and was wondering what is a good tube for the vali 2. Others recommend the GE5670 and have questions.

1. What is the adapter specs needed for the GE5670.
2. Are there other tubes better for the hd800 and what is the adapter needed.

Looking for the most natural sound signature, detailed imaging with wide soundstage for the hd800 driven by the mojo>vali2

Thanks

My advice would be for you to try your new Vali 2 with the provided stock tube and let us know how it sounds to you. We will then have a familiar reference point. I don't think as many will have heard the 5670 and that would make comparisons difficult. I presume your HD800 is well burned in as, for me, it betters the AKG in all the aspects you are looking for when paired with Mojo, but then we all hear things a bit differently which means always being circumspect about advice.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #940 of 6,436
So, I was about to pull the trigger on some Reflector 6N3P from eBay but the time ran out and the auction that ended hasn't been delisted. I had be traveling a lot lately and I didn't want to buy from Lithuania and not be home when it arrived.

I'm wondering if anyone has an extra one or two that they would be willing to part with for a reasonable price?

Reflector 6N3P? Anyone?

Sep 29, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #942 of 6,436
Thanks for the advice. Will stick with the stock and will ask suggestions after. .
Actually I would approach the the problem like a decision tree. Pick up 2 cheap new tubes to tell you which NOS pathway to go down.

Pick up a JJ standard pin and gold pin tube.

If you like the stock tube, try an ECC804 tube

If you like the JJ standard pin, go down the mullard/amperex/Telefunken route

If you like the JJ gold pin, you can try a 6cg7 or 6sn7 via adapter

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #943 of 6,436
So, I was about to pull the trigger on some Reflector 6N3P from eBay but the time ran out and the auction that ended hasn't been delisted. I had be traveling a lot lately and I didn't want to buy from Lithuania and not be home when it arrived.

I'm wondering if anyone has an extra one or two that they would be willing to part with for a reasonable price?

Reflector 6N3P? Anyone?
I do send me a pm.

Oct 14, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #944 of 6,436
So I just got a Vali 2 with a number of tubes (have a bunch on order from Europe as well). I thought the stock tube was really bland and quickly made me question the amp all together. I popped in a Tesla ECC88 (72) Gold Pin and WOW!!!! What a difference. The bass is huge, and the treble is sparkling and stunning. I can't wait to try out the others.

Oct 14, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #945 of 6,436
So I just got a Vali 2 with a number of tubes (have a bunch on order from Europe as well). I thought the stock tube was really bland and quickly made me question the amp all together. I popped in a Tesla ECC88 (72) Gold Pin and WOW!!!! What a difference. The bass is huge, and the treble is sparkling and stunning. I can't wait to try out the others.

FYI, the Tesla E88CC is the only other tube that I have tried other than the stock one. It has ended my tube rolling tendencies into the foreseeable future, as I have been quite pleased with it. I highly recommend this tube for hp's that have tonal qualities ranging from relatively neutral to dark(warm).

Tube rolling can be quite addictive and can become quite expensive. With that in mind, I have decided to limit my tube choices to those that are $50 or less and can be obtained from upscale audio. The Tesla's meet that criteria.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back