Vali 2 tube rolling
Jul 13, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #886 of 6,436
Jul 17, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #888 of 6,436
Having a little fun with a 1957 6SN7
Mn1WCby.jpg

Jul 25, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #889 of 6,436
after spending some months going back and forth to the EH 6922 Gold pin and to EH 6CG7 a few days back I switched to the stock tube and I find it quite good... actually the most balanced of the three
the 6922 is more laid back and smooth
the 6CG7 is faster, somehow in your face (in a good manner) but somehow grainy,
and the stock somewhere in the middle with a more coherent sound stage...
also the stock is the most resistive to a strange RF like buzz I get from the other two... actually the noise changes depending of the tube

I wish I could try some more but I do not want to spend more money just to experiment...

Jul 26, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #890 of 6,436
after spending some months going back and forth to the EH 6922 Gold pin and to EH 6CG7 a few days back I switched to the stock tube and I find it quite good... actually the most balanced of the three
the 6922 is more laid back and smooth
the 6CG7 is faster, somehow in your face (in a good manner) but somehow grainy,
and the stock somewhere in the middle with a more coherent sound stage...
also the stock is the most resistive to a strange RF like buzz I get from the other two... actually the noise changes depending of the tube

I wish I could try some more but I do not want to spend more money just to experiment...
I did start a vintage tube tour thread that no one seems interested in. https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/vali-2-tube-pass-of-2017.855165/

Jul 26, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #891 of 6,436
Aug 6, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #893 of 6,436
WHat makes it one of the best in your opinion?

Aug 6, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #894 of 6,436
I've been through all the top tubes that the 6922/E88CC family has to offer.

From Siemens CCa, Tele E188CC, to Philips Heerlen pinched waist.
Out of all the top tubes , the Valvo Heerlen has the most engaging midrange out of all of them. Comparable soundstage of the Siemens, but with better depth and holography. Very vivid 3D imaging.

I wouldn't be parting with it if I didn't need the funds due to my pad purchasing madness the past 3 days. Lol.

Also, I don't sell anything on here for profit. I sell everything for what it cost me, to give others an opportunity to save $ . This tube was part of a pair that I got in a trade. That trade set me back $130. So now someone has a chance to own one of the best for less. I'll send it off to ebay if a few days if no interest. It's almost impossible to get this tube for under $100 on the web, let alone find one.

Cheers

WHat makes it one of the best in your opinion?

Aug 6, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #895 of 6,436
I've been through all the top tubes that the 6922/E88CC family has to offer.

From Siemens CCa, Tele E188CC, to Philips Heerlen pinched waist.
Out of all the top tubes , the Valvo Heerlen has the most engaging midrange out of all of them. Comparable soundstage of the Siemens, but with better depth and holography. Very vivid 3D imaging.

I wouldn't be parting with it if I didn't need the funds due to my pad purchasing madness the past 3 days. Lol.

Also, I don't sell anything on here for profit. I sell everything for what it cost me, to give others an opportunity to save $ . This tube was part of a pair that I got in a trade. That trade set me back $130. So now someone has a chance to own one of the best for less. I'll send it off to ebay if a few days if no interest. It's almost impossible to get this tube for under $100 on the web, let alone find one.

Cheers
Pad as in ear pads or pad as in pipe aquisation disorder?

Aug 7, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #898 of 6,436
Hi, I purchased some K7XXS and wanted an amp that would warm it up, but was still clear and accurate when I was told about the Vali 2. I was wondering, since I know little about audio and less about tubes, if you all had any suggestions as to the tubes I should buy for this particular amp headphone combo. Thank you!

Aug 7, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #899 of 6,436
Hi, I purchased some K7XXS and wanted an amp that would warm it up, but was still clear and accurate when I was told about the Vali 2. I was wondering, since I know little about audio and less about tubes, if you all had any suggestions as to the tubes I should buy for this particular amp headphone combo. Thank you!
JUst take the time and read throug the whole thread and learn a bit. Also give this a read http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm . It will teach you a bit about most of the tubes you wont need an adapter for.

Aug 8, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #900 of 6,436
Pretty much what chef8489 wrote. There are a few cheat sheets around the thread, but like everything in audio, there's an aspect of personal taste and preferences.
The path I took:
1. Look at tube pricing (TubeDepot and the likes) and decide what's reasonable. I personally didn't check the specs beyond Schiit's "6DJ8, 6922, ECC88, 2492" note. There are more, perhaps better.
2. Look for comments on the tubes in this thread and on the internet.
3. Buy one or two of the favourites.

If you're in a rush, it's generally agreed that the Electro-Harmonix 6CG7 is a warm(er) sounding tube than the Vali 2's stock one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back