Vali 2 tube rolling
Jan 30, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #211 of 6,436
  We have a convert here peoples! :) 

Enjoy!

+1

Yeah this tube performs very, very well. So far the price to performance ratio of he Tesla E88CC can't be beaten, gonna roll some more expensive tubes though to be able to make a more qualified statement. E188CC's are tempting according to @Guidostrunk's description ...

@bboris77, enjoy rediscovering your music!

Jan 30, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #212 of 6,436

COOL!!!
I also have a Tesla E88CC from the 1970's in route.
We'll be waiting to hear what you think about the EH 6922 compared to the Tesla. I'd have a hard time waiting to do an A/B of 2 new tubes.
For the very little money the EH 6922 costs, it's a deal and nice step up from the stock tube. Hopefully the Tesla is even better.

Ok, so I popped in the EH 6922 and here is my opinion after a couple of hours. It is definitely more forward sounding than the Tesla E88CC. There is more emphasis on the treble so initially it appears more detailed in comparison to the Tesla and the stock tube. However, it is missing the overall warmth and the slam factor that the Tesla brings to the table. EH 6922 still has a very solid low end compared to the stock tube, but the Tesla is an absolute monster when it comes to the bass which gives the mids a wonderful foundation. When it comes to the stock tube, I sincerely could not hear any sounds below 30hz whereas both the EH 6922 and the Tesla can easily resolve 20Hz, with the Tesla being significantly more pronounced in the low end. 

Out of the three, I would definitely pick the Tesla, but at this point it gets subjective as you have to hear how these tubes integrate with the rest of your gear. For example, the Tesla pairs wonderfully with my Q701 as it brings its low end alive.

In conclusion, I would say that the EH 6922 is like a technically better version of the stock tube as they have somewhat similar sound signatures, with the Electro-Harmonix being the better sounding one. It resolves more detail across the spectrum and expands the low end. The Tesla does all this but in a very natural sounding way with lots of warmth and oomph which sets it apart from the group at least to my ears.

Jan 30, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #213 of 6,436
  Ok, so I popped in the EH 6922 and here is my opinion after a couple of hours. It is definitely more forward sounding than the Tesla E88CC. There is more emphasis on the treble so initially it appears more detailed in comparison to the Tesla and the stock tube. However, it is missing the overall warmth and the slam factor that the Tesla brings to the table. EH 6922 still has a very solid low end compared to the stock tube, but the Tesla is an absolute monster when it comes to the bass which gives the mids a wonderful foundation. When it comes to the stock tube, I sincerely could not hear any sounds below 20hz whereas both the EH 6922 and the Tesla can easily resolve 10Hz, with the Tesla being significantly more pronounced in the low end. 

Out of the three, I would definitely pick the Tesla, but at this point it gets subjective as you have to hear how these tubes integrate with the rest of your gear. For example, the Tesla pairs wonderfully with my Q701 as it brings its low end alive.

In conclusion, I would say that the EH 6922 is like a technically better version of the stock tube as they have somewhat similar sound signatures, with the Electro-Harmonix being the better sounding one. It resolves more detail across the spectrum and expands the low end. The Tesla does all this but in a very natural sounding way with lots of warmth and oomph which sets it apart from the group at least to my ears.

Thank you bboris77 for your impressions of these 2, (3 including the stock) tubes  back to back. Looking forward to my Tesla arriving.

Perhaps the Bulgarian Postal service have handed it off to the Pony Express here in the states and I will see it soon............

Jan 30, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #215 of 6,436
  Ok, so I popped in the EH 6922 and here is my opinion after a couple of hours. It is definitely more forward sounding than the Tesla E88CC. There is more emphasis on the treble so initially it appears more detailed in comparison to the Tesla and the stock tube. However, it is missing the overall warmth and the slam factor that the Tesla brings to the table. EH 6922 still has a very solid low end compared to the stock tube, but the Tesla is an absolute monster when it comes to the bass which gives the mids a wonderful foundation. When it comes to the stock tube, I sincerely could not hear any sounds below 20hz whereas both the EH 6922 and the Tesla can easily resolve 10Hz, with the Tesla being significantly more pronounced in the low end. 

Are you sure you can resolve bass as low as 10Hz?
I didn't think the human ear could clearly hear that low.

Jan 30, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #216 of 6,436
  Are you sure you can resolve bass as low as 10Hz?
I didn't think the human ear could clearly hear that low.

You are absolutely correct. I double checked the test that I had used which is on this web page:
http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencychecklow.php

It seems that there is an issue with this test since when after the announcer says: "10Hz", the sound that is actually played is 20Hz. I confirmed this by going to this page and playing various tones:
http://www.audiocheck.net/testtones_subwooferharmonicdistortion.php

However, since I used the same test on the stock GE tube, both the Tesla and the EH 6922 seem to have an advantage over it since they are able to reproduce the 20Hz tone.

Jan 30, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #217 of 6,436
  You are absolutely correct. I double checked the test that I had used which is on this web page:
http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencychecklow.php

It seems that there is an issue with this test since when after the announcer says: "10Hz", the sound that is actually played is 20Hz. I confirmed this by going to this page and playing various tones:
http://www.audiocheck.net/testtones_subwooferharmonicdistortion.php

However, since I used the same test on the stock GE tube, both the Tesla and EH 6922 seem to have and advantage over it since they are able to reproduce the 20Hz tone.

Fair enough.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #218 of 6,436
I have the Sylvania stock tube and I was wondering if there is much a difference between it and the stock GE tube, not sure if anyone has both.  I ordered an extra stock tube with my V2 and probably should have specified to not send me the same tubes.  For what it's worth the stock Sylvania tube sounds quite respectable but more restrained in comparison to the JJ E88CC and EH6922 tubes.

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:46 AM Post #219 of 6,436
  I'm a BIG fan of the Amperex 6DJ8 / 6922 / 7308!

I have been going back and forth between The Amperex (various versions), 6F8G (w/ adapter), Tunsgram PCC88 and EH 6922. I am looking for more detail and bass as I am using HifiMan 400S. I find more of both in the Amperex (but not harsh brightness!) and the EH 6922. The 6F8G need 600mA of current and that is the max for the V 2 so I may not be getting what I could from that tube with this amp. It sounds very nice, but I keep going back to the Amperex tubes. The PCC88 is juat a little tame for me and using hp that are already a bit rolled off not what I am looking for at least in the Tungsram variety.

If the '32' Tesla I have in route isn't great, it will likely go back on E-Bay!

I'm in agreement with this. I played a bit with the 6SN7s I had here. I'm listening right now with a Tung Sol/Emerson which has a bit of lushness but I don't feel I'm getting any serious benefit over the Amperex PQ which has a better presentation through all frequencies in spaciousness, dynamics and delivery of frequencies at both extremes.

I have the Sylvania stock tube and I was wondering if there is much a difference between it and the stock GE tube, not sure if anyone has both.  I ordered an extra stock tube with my V2 and probably should have specified to not send me the same tubes.  For what it's worth the stock Sylvania tube sounds quite respectable but more restrained in comparison to the JJ E88CC and EH6922 tubes.

I don't know if it would be true of those tubes, but I've not been a fan of Sylvania tubes in general. They tend to sound rather boring. 

Jan 31, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #220 of 6,436

+1

Yeah this tube performs very, very well. So far the price to performance ratio of he Tesla E88CC can't be beaten, gonna roll some more expensive tubes though to be able to make a more qualified statement. E188CC's are tempting according to @Guidostrunk's description ...

@bboris77, enjoy rediscovering your music!

Thank you, and it is absolutely true about rediscovering your music - I am really enjoying the Vali 2, Tesla E88CC and Q701 combo. It cannot stress enough how well this tube complements the Q701. It literally went from a 7 out of 10 headphone to a 9 out of 10. The Tesla warmed up and solidified the low end of the Q701 just enough to make it sound essentially perfect to my ears.

Jan 31, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #221 of 6,436

i have all three of these tubes - the sylvania stock tube, JJ E88CC and the EH6922 - also the EH 6CG7 - initially the 6CG7 is a bit loose in the treble (distortion?) - the 6922 sounded, at least initally, like the JJ and the sylvania.  but the more i listened to 6922 - after maybe 10 hour (not straight 10 hours) listening the treble started getting loose like the 6CG7 - it's not that it's bad - i would say it is interesting.

the JJ and the Sylvania sounded more alike than not - however i THINK i prefer the JJ over the sylvania and over the EHs.

Jan 31, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #222 of 6,436
i have all three of these tubes - the sylvania stock tube, JJ E88CC and the EH6922 - also the EH 6CG7 - initially the 6CG7 is a bit loose in the treble (distortion?) - the 6922 sounded, at least initally, like the JJ and the sylvania.  but the more i listened to 6922 - after maybe 10 hour (not straight 10 hours) listening the treble started getting loose like the 6CG7 - it's not that it's bad - i would say it is interesting.

the JJ and the Sylvania sounded more alike than not - however i THINK i prefer the JJ over the sylvania and over the EHs.

Your assessment of these tubes is precisely the way I hear them too. I enjoy swapping tubes when I come across a song that is dynamically engaging to really hear the different tube signatures. All said I'm completely satisfied with this small assortment of tubes as they cover all of my main headphones unique characteristics nicely. Enjoy.

Jan 31, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #223 of 6,436
More tubes on the way ... Bought another Tesla E88CC goldpin, yellow print label, factory code "32". I thought having a backup surely isn't a bad idea, considering demand will rise massively thanks to this thread  
wink_face.gif

Together with the Tesla I ordered a real specialty, a Valvo E88CC made by Radiotechnique France. It's gonna be interesting to compare the Valvo (basically a Philips tube) in the higher E88CC quality, with the lower grade Philips Miniwatt PCC88 (7DJ8) that was made in the Dutch Heerlen factory.
I still didn't want to pull the trigger on a good E188CC tube. I would consider ordering a Heerlen made E188CC Valvo Red label or E188CC Philips SQ, if the Dutch tonality turns out to be a good match with the Beyer T90's. But, they are really $$$$$ !!

@Guidostrunk, your input would really be appreciated, you seem to have lots of knowledge about these E188CC's. Do you own Beyerdynamic Tesla headphones, or other treble happy cans? Have you tried some Mullards?

Jan 31, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #224 of 6,436
Pardon me if I repeat - I've been offline for a while from the perspective of replacing a DAC (sold my Grace Design m9XX, bought Bifrost 4399 that needed upgraded 4490 board, snow storm, etc). So the Schiit stack I'm using is Bifrost 4490 > Sys > Asgard 2 (baseline) and Vali 2 (tubes). The solid-state amplifier allows me to keep a baseline reference point that can run all my headphones.

A while back, I acquired my very first, very cheap RCA 6CG7 - paid $5 for it. On my HD800 headphones, this was a significant upgrade over the original tube. But due to the random nature of the purchase, I decided to buy a triode-matched EH 6CG7 tube to test later. Using the same HD800, I still like the upgrade versus the original tube. However, on my other headphones, Grado SR60i, AKG K7XX, and HiFiMan HE400i, I had no issues with the original tube. I wanted to first verify that I liked the EH 6CG7 as well on these headphones, which I would more commonly use.

So this morning, using HE400i, I picked a test track, with a diverse collection of music - acoustic (one of the groups I actually went to see live), orchestral, electronic. Some of the electronic can become fatiguing - in the middle of track #4, Circuit Breaker by Röyksopp, I'd had enough. In my opinion, the original RCA 6CG7 sounded remarkably similar to the EH 6CG7. The tube, my favorite to this point - opened up the soundstage a little more than the stock, but was starting to tire me on what I think is a fairly balanced headphone. Instead of switching back to the original tube, I tried next EH 6922, which I bought from the same company and asked to be verified triode-balanced. The stage shrank a little, but I flew through the same track with no issues on the HE400i. I'm still listening to my mix of music as I write this.

TL;DR 6CG7 opens up the sound a lot, but fatigues me thus far on my less than ideal music. 6922 (someone recommended it a while ago) restricts the sound versus the 6CG7, but is much more palatable. 6922 seems like a good balance - not syrupy like the Mullard was I first tried. I'll need to continue trying different headphones with 6922 before going back to the original tube to compare 6922 and original.

Jan 31, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #225 of 6,436
PM @billerb1 . He has all the info on the Beyer/Heerlen combo. He's the reason why I'm hooked on Heerlen , tubes. His stash of tubes says it all. Lol.
I'll get him to chime in with his thoughts. Especially to answer your question in regards to Beyers.

Cheers
More tubes on the way ... Bought another Tesla E88CC goldpin, yellow print label, factory code "32". I thought having a backup surely isn't a bad idea, considering demand will rise massively thanks to this thread  :wink_face:  . 

Together with the Tesla I ordered a real specialty, a Valvo E88CC made by Radiotechnique France. It's gonna be interesting to compare the Valvo (basically a Philips tube) in the higher E88CC quality, with the lower grade Philips Miniwatt PCC88 (7DJ8) that was made in the Dutch Heerlen factory.
I still didn't want to pull the trigger on a good E188CC tube. I would consider ordering a Heerlen made E188CC Valvo Red label or E188CC Philips SQ, if the Dutch tonality turns out to be a good match with the Beyer T90's. But, they are really $$$$$ !!

@Guidostrunk
, your input would really be appreciated, you seem to have lots of knowledge about these E188CC's. Do you own Beyerdynamic Tesla headphones, or other treble happy cans? Have you tried some Mullards?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back