Vali 2 tube rolling
Mar 30, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #5,656 of 6,436
I purchased this tube from Tube Depot. Philips PCC88. Doesn't a white top mean that the tube was compromised/leaked?
PhilipsPCC88.jpg

Mar 30, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #5,657 of 6,436
I purchased this tube from Tube Depot. Philips PCC88. Doesn't a white top mean that the tube was compromised/leaked?
I contacted Tube Depot, and they said it's bad. They are sending me a replacement. What would happen if I had stuck this into my Vali 2?

Mar 30, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #5,658 of 6,436
I contacted Tube Depot, and they said it's bad. They are sending me a replacement. What would happen if I had stuck this into my Vali 2?
It might have blasted off and launched 5 feet into the air before exploding and showering the immediate area with glass shrapnel! 🚀🧨

Mar 30, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #5,659 of 6,436
At least they're sending you a replacement, that's good then.
It might have blasted off and launched 5 feet into the air before exploding and showering the immediate area with glass shrapnel! 🚀🧨
:sweat_smile: LOL jokes aside would it cause any serious issue? Or just bad sound but otherwise ok?

Mar 30, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #5,660 of 6,436

:sweat_smile: LOL jokes aside would it cause any serious issue? Or just bad sound but otherwise ok?
It looks as though the vacuum was breached; there is no reflective material inside the tube top. I doubt that the tube would function. If it were in the Vali 2, my guess is that any circuit protection would be tripped.

Mar 30, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #5,661 of 6,436
Oh please. Talk about exaggerating. It could, however, have formed a singularity and quickly developed a black hole consuming most of the Milky Way galaxy. Disaster avoided, thankfully. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #5,662 of 6,436

It would probably not sound at all. The loss of vacuum would cause the filaments to fry instantly (like losing vacuum in a light bulb). No filaments = no heat to the cathodes = no electron emission.

Apr 1, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #5,663 of 6,436
Got my 7n7 adapter (less than 2 weeks from Bulgaria, quicker than it took to get the tube from the US - go figure) and can finally try out the much coveted "Frankie". So far the only bad thing I can say is that since I unceremoniously de-LEDed my Vali2, and the "Frankie" has so much getter flashing, I can't tell if the amp is turned on or not.

Apr 2, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #5,664 of 6,436
Got my 7n7 adapter (less than 2 weeks from Bulgaria, quicker than it took to get the tube from the US - go figure) and can finally try out the much coveted "Frankie". So far the only bad thing I can say is that since I unceremoniously de-LEDed my Vali2, and the "Frankie" has so much getter flashing, I can't tell if the amp is turned on or not.
LOL! If you turn the volume knob up and hear sound in the headphones, it's likely on. Hope this helps. :laughing: :laughing:

Apr 5, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #5,665 of 6,436
So uhhhhh I'm still forever waiting for my Vali 2+ to ship (April 15th). Figure now I have some time to kill I need some opinions.

I'm currently using Denon AH-D2000 and I believe Vali 2+ will be plenty to drive these. I've been debating to get an Argon T60RP down the line, but would the Vali 2+ even drive the Argon well? (I know the recommended amp is Emotiva BasX with its 8W output, but figure I'd ask anyway lol).

Anyone actually tried T50RP / T60RP on the Vali 2+?

Also I've been wondering what to get for a D2000 upgrade (sorry derail the topic a bit). The next step up is TH610 but I heard it's very neutral so it's better to step all the way up to TH900 MK2 (or used TH900) if I want to retain that bottomless bass. Anyone know anything regarding this?

Ok now back to forever waiting for Vali 2+ to ship lol.

EDIT: also bought 3 tubes already so I'm also forever waiting for tubes to arrive too.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #5,666 of 6,436
I'm currently on page 364 of this thread, starting from the beginning. I just purchased an a 6922 to 6SN7 adapter from @Deyan and am looking for my first 6SN7 tube. Vivatubes has the new production Psvane tubes (CV-181T MKII, 6SN7-SE tennis ball & 6SN7-UK) and I like the looks, but how do they sound? My favorite tube so far has been the Philips PCC88 (mentioned a few posts back). I have mostly Grado HP's so I like to tame the highs a little, rather than using the Loki. Trying to keep it under $100 for my first 6SN7 tube. I saw this tube as well: https://www.vivatubes.com/tests-nos-sylvania-usa-6sn7wgta-black-t-plate-top-o-get-brown-base-tube/
What do you "experts" think?

Apr 8, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #5,667 of 6,436
I'm currently on page 364 of this thread, starting from the beginning. I just purchased an a 6922 to 6SN7 adapter from @Deyan and am looking for my first 6SN7 tube. Vivatubes has the new production Psvane tubes (CV-181T MKII, 6SN7-SE tennis ball & 6SN7-UK) and I like the looks, but how do they sound? My favorite tube so far has been the Philips PCC88 (mentioned a few posts back). I have mostly Grado HP's so I like to tame the highs a little, rather than using the Loki. Trying to keep it under $100 for my first 6SN7 tube. I saw this tube as well: https://www.vivatubes.com/tests-nos-sylvania-usa-6sn7wgta-black-t-plate-top-o-get-brown-base-tube/
What do you "experts" think?

And the adapter itself is complete.

Apr 17, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #5,668 of 6,436
Got that all recommended Matshuhita 7DJ8 tube. It sounds pretty good. Compared to my favorite Siemens E88CC it have more forward mids, slightly less bass, highs about the same. For my taste I will stay with Siemens E88CC - it has more warm and bassy sounding that I like.

Attachments

• DSC_1821.jpg
    DSC_1821.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Apr 17, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #5,669 of 6,436
Also exellent tube adapter came to me from fellow Deyan (thank you again) that can convert 6SN7 tubes to 6922 type. Need some always limited time to listen my 6SN7 tubes collection to write review on them. Respond if it will be useful and interesting. This tubes so far I have:

Attachments

• DSC_1789.jpg
    DSC_1789.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Apr 20, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #5,670 of 6,436
Did update of DAC to Schiit Modi 3 Multibit. Got myself schitty stack) DAC have different sound signature? that leads me to rethink my tubes preferences. At least it seems that with Siemens E88CC sound becomes too warm... Got any thoughts on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back