Vali 2 tube rolling
Jun 11, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #5,432 of 6,436
Which planars are you using? I like both the stock RCA tube and EH 6922

I will probably run Vali 2 with Monoprice M1060C at office, and Lyr 3 with Hifiman Anandas at home. Some of this stuff is still in the mail, so I could change my mind over time once I see and hear it.

Jun 11, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #5,433 of 6,436
I will probably run Vali 2 with Monoprice M1060C at office, and Lyr 3 with Hifiman Anandas at home. Some of this stuff is still in the mail, so I could change my mind over time once I see and hear it.
I'm curious about the planars... I only have 400i's and Dekoni Blue - Mobius by Audeze too, but that's a different thing

Jun 12, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #5,434 of 6,436
Is it worth choosing and paying for "balanced triodes" on some of these seller's sites? And especially for new production tubes (as in 6SN7 tubes for Lry 3. Not sure if new production exists in the 6922 category...?)

Jun 13, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #5,435 of 6,436
Is it worth choosing and paying for "balanced triodes" on some of these seller's sites? And especially for new production tubes (as in 6SN7 tubes for Lry 3. Not sure if new production exists in the 6922 category...?)

With a single tube design like the Vali 2 or Lyr 3 where one triode in the tube is used for the left channel and the other for the right, there could be some value in paying a nominal upcharge to assure the triodes have decently balanced GM if you don't have a tube tester to verify for yourself. Even new production tubes can have a big variance in emission or GM between the two triodes. But they should specify what constitutes a 'balanced' tube from their perspective (usually as a percentage variance between the triodes), and if it's more than 10% I wouldn't personally consider that to be very well balanced. With a variance of 10% or less it's unlikely that it will be audible. More than that and it could be and manifested as channel imbalance depending on the overall emission output of the triodes (which will of course decline over time).

Jul 1, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #5,437 of 6,436
Just downloaded Sticky Fingers Deluxe and Let It Bleed 50th anniversary last night on HD Tracks with their killer sale prices. Both of these albums were only available at 44.1kHz 24 bit. I’m playing them thru my FiiO X3ii into my Vali 2 into my Sennheiser HD6XX’s. I noticed these recordings sound “hot” right at the edge of distortion, sometimes actually distorting and sounding saturated. For comparison I‘ve previously loaded both those albums to flac 44.1kHz 16 bit from the CDs. I noticed those are much cleaner and sound great. What’s the deal with these 44.1kHz 24 bit tracks? I rolled different tubes - mouse ears, chrome dome, 6CG7 EHX gold pin and settled on my E88CC Genelex Gold Lion as it seemed to handle this hotness the best but I’m still puzzled over the distortion.

Jul 1, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #5,438 of 6,436
Just downloaded Sticky Fingers Deluxe and Let It Bleed 50th anniversary last night on HD Tracks with their killer sale prices. Both of these albums were only available at 44.1kHz 24 bit. I’m playing them thru my FiiO X3ii into my Vali 2 into my Sennheiser HD6XX’s. I noticed these recordings sound “hot” right at the edge of distortion, sometimes actually distorting and sounding saturated. For comparison I‘ve previously loaded both those albums to flac 44.1kHz 16 bit from the CDs. I noticed those are much cleaner and sound great. What’s the deal with these 44.1kHz 24 bit tracks? I rolled different tubes - mouse ears, chrome dome, 6CG7 EHX gold pin and settled on my E88CC Genelex Gold Lion as it seemed to handle this hotness the best but I’m still puzzled over the distortion.
Granted, this is just speculation on my part since I haven't heard either version, but…
Welcome to The Loudness Wars.
Typically every reissue/remaster is just an excuse to dynamically compress the bejeesus out of the recording (read: make it louder) now a days. Quite often the recordings get so compressed they start to clip, which could explain the distortion you're hearing.

Aug 6, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #5,440 of 6,436
Are these things even remotely worth the asking price?
Seriously, that's Bangy money…
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/6cg7-Marcon...lve-rca-sylvania-lot-12bh7-12au7/254410615802

LOL! Value is, of course, a personal perspective kind of thing, but I would go away quietly with the guys in white jackets if I was ever caught spending $800 on a pair of 6CG7's (yeah, there's $50 in there for the actual $15 in shipping cost). I've seen a number of that seller's ads, and his prices are beyond ridiculous in every case. He should consider changing his seller name to 'I'm_high_tubes'. :)

Aug 6, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #5,441 of 6,436
LOL! Value is, of course, a personal perspective kind of thing, but I would go away quietly with the guys in white jackets if I was ever caught spending $800 on a pair of 6CG7's (yeah, there's $50 in there for the actual $15 in shipping cost). I've seen a number of that seller's ads, and his prices are beyond ridiculous in every case. He should consider changing his seller name to 'I'm_high_tubes'. :)
Yeah, that is other worldly kind of stuff! Whether it’s the Franken tubes that be Bcowen turned me onto or the 7A4’s that Old Deaf Donkey loves, they’re both more than enough for me; and at $10 a pop why would I spend hundreds an hundreds more?

Aug 6, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #5,443 of 6,436
Yeah, that is other worldly kind of stuff! Whether it’s the Franken tubes that be Bcowen turned me onto or the 7A4’s that Old Deaf Donkey loves, they’re both more than enough for me; and at $10 a pop why would I spend hundreds an hundreds more?

This is more in line with my wallet. :)

1596758249352.png

Aug 6, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #5,445 of 6,436
Funny that the shipping is half-again the price of the tube itself! LOL
FYI - I purchased my 4th Frankie earlier this week; I think I’m good for a while!😉

-Kev

Here's another pair with a much better price-to-shipping cost ratio. LOL!

I like the way the prices are moving on these...may have a better return than Amazon stock if at some point I decide to down-stash. :) :)

1596759662470.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back