Vali 2 tube rolling
Apr 13, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #2,161 of 6,436
Apr 13, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #2,162 of 6,436
Interesting concept… totally ass-backwards for the Vali2 though. I suppose one could go through the infinte loop of adapters (6dj8>6sn7>multi-adapter in 6dj8 mode)
that is eaxcly what I wonder about. only 2 adapters tho'

Apr 13, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #2,164 of 6,436
You have to be working with an amp which uses 6sn7 tubes, and then use whatever. Not designed for 6922 socket use.
thank you. I was just thinking of buying Lyr 3...:worried:

Apr 13, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #2,165 of 6,436
I have full confidence in your recommendations, Tom. But I have a few more coming just in case your "very good" turns out to be totally awesome. LOL!

I bought a bunch before telling you Bill. I know how you are.

My good may be your “I should have my head examined if I ever listen to THIS guy again!!!!!”

Apr 13, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #2,166 of 6,436
Apr 13, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #2,167 of 6,436
I bought a bunch before telling you Bill. I know how you are.

My good may be your “I should have my head examined if I ever listen to THIS guy again!!!!!”

If I don't like them I figured I'd pawn them off to some unsuspecting newbie by saying you recommended them. :hushed::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Apr 13, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #2,168 of 6,436
If I don't like them I figured I'd pawn them off to some unsuspecting newbie by saying you recommended them. :hushed::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I need to start working on plausible deniability. I believe everything I know about tubes I learned from you Bill, I did have a couple things follow me home though. IMG_0676 (1).jpg

Apr 13, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #2,169 of 6,436
I need to start working on plausible deniability. I believe everything I know about tubes I learned from you Bill, I did have a couple things follow me home though.

Sweeeeeet! I see lit filaments. How's it sound?

Apr 13, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #2,170 of 6,436
It is starting to warm up, I will definitely need to change my speakers at some point. Mine do not do the amp justice right now, the sound he demo'd was to die for. After about a half hour it is really starting to come around or my music quality got better lol.

Apr 13, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #2,171 of 6,436
It is starting to warm up, I will definitely need to change my speakers at some point. Mine do not do the amp justice right now, the sound he demo'd was to die for. After about a half hour it is really starting to come around or my music quality got better lol.

Awesome. And the tube rolling possibilities make Schiit stuff look like junior varsity. :slight_smile:

Apr 14, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #2,172 of 6,436
Awesome. And the tube rolling possibilities make Schiit stuff look like junior varsity. :slight_smile:

perhaps it does. but I have arrived at the straight short line to the endgame. The adapter for 6J5 did it for me. and today, IMG_20190414_161038.jpg

2 old dirty RCA Radiotrons from 1939 and 1940. Sure I still have some pairs of old Russian 6S2S, a couple of MELZ 6N8S and similar stuff coming in the mail. I also have those Soyuz 6S2S from 1979, which are wonderful. 2 single 6J5 triods in the Vali 2 to AKG 702 do it for me - I am getting the sound quality and signature that I enjoy, and never before thought it existed (andwhat it consisted of). Thank you all for guidance. I will be writing a little more on my way to this point, but endgame it is. After all, my purpose has always been listening to music, not tube rolling. Sure, I will still stick in some dual triodes 6SN7, 6C8G, and maybe some miniature noval tubes occasionally. Maybe, if I need a second system, I'll get a Lyr 3. But otherwise, I am now in Jason Stoddard's Onsanity.

Apr 14, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #2,173 of 6,436
Double-adapting is illegal. @Paladin79 only gets away with it because he bribes the tube cops. :slight_smile:

Using socket savers, which are a passthrough is not double adapting, so a Loctal adapter is also a passthrough. No doubling adapters in this thread:ksc75smile:

Apr 14, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #2,174 of 6,436
perhaps it does. but I have arrived at the straight short line to the endgame. The adapter for 6J5 did it for me. and today,

2 old dirty RCA Radiotrons from 1939 and 1940. Sure I still have some pairs of old Russian 6S2S, a couple of MELZ 6N8S and similar stuff coming in the mail. I also have those Soyuz 6S2S from 1979, which are wonderful. 2 single 6J5 triods in the Vali 2 to AKG 702 do it for me - I am getting the sound quality and signature that I enjoy, and never before thought it existed (andwhat it consisted of). Thank you all for guidance. I will be writing a little more on my way to this point, but endgame it is. After all, my purpose has always been listening to music, not tube rolling. Sure, I will still stick in some dual triodes 6SN7, 6C8G, and maybe some miniature noval tubes occasionally. Maybe, if I need a second system, I'll get a Lyr 3. But otherwise, I am now in Jason Stoddard's Onsanity.

I am glad the adapter is working well for you, I still prefer the separation of single triodes, and finding the perfect pair that suit your ears is part of the fun. My favorites to date are Sylvania's, VT 94D's but you can find the civilian version with three hole long black plates on occasion as well.

Apr 14, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #2,175 of 6,436
perhaps it does. but I have arrived at the straight short line to the endgame. The adapter for 6J5 did it for me. and today,

2 old dirty RCA Radiotrons between 1939 and 1940. Sure I still have some pairs of old Russian 6S2S, a couple of MELZ 6N8S and similar stuff coming in the mail. I also have those Soyuz 6S2S from 1979, which are wonderful. 2 single 6J5 triods in the Vali 2 to AKG 702 do it for me - I am getting the sound quality and signature that I enjoy, and never before thought, it existed (and what it consisted of). Thank you all for guidance. I will be writing a little more on my way to this point, but endgame it is. After all, my purpose has always been listening to music, not tube rolling. Sure, I will still stick in some dual triodes 6SN7, 6C8G, and maybe some miniature noval tubes occasionally. Maybe, if I need a second system, I'll get a Lyr 3. But otherwise, I am now in Jason Stoddard's Onsanity.

The Vali 2 is a great "test platform" as @Paladin79 has pointed out. Its sonic quality with a miniature, a dual adapter, or a single 6SN7 tube will show you the potential of a given envelope. A Lyr 3 is a Vali 2 on steroids, also a tube-hybrid (with added Stoddard genii like Continuity and Coherence) so if you like Vali, you may love Lyr 3. I chose the Valhalla 2 because I had purchased a matched pair of Foton 6H8C and I wanted a "Pure" OTL tube HP amplifier.
Other folks will tell you that if 'Tubiness' is what you are looking for then a DIY Bottlehead may be a better choice. I have never been interested in electronics and learning to solder, so I chose the "Plug and Play" option with a track-record since 2015. Having never heard a Bottlehead, I am not qualified to compare, but I am VERY well pleased with everything about the Valhalla, and now have no desire for a Saga, or Freya, as I use the VH2 as my tube-buffer for the Sprout100 speakers.

I will also echo a concern voiced by @Paladin79 when I was deciding which way to go...With 300-ohm Sennheiser 6XX, the volume at full maximum sounds like it could use a "little more", so I can only imagine what 600-ohm HPs would sound like. Not to worry, not all Music likes being "loud" and certain tubes are not 'pristine' at full volume. The Fotons, after over 100-hours of Burn-in, and fully warmed-up can handle full max volume into the 6XX and are great sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back