Vali 2 tube rolling
Apr 10, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #2,146 of 6,436
I picked up a secondhand Vali 2 last week to go with a new pair of HD800S's that I got for a song after selling off all my desktop gear and swearing I was only going to buy IEMs going forward (That lasted all of 6 months, Lol). I've never had a tube amp before and was bit shocked at how bright the Vali 2 was with the stock tube (USA 6DJ8) I grabbed a couple of tubes off a guy locally while I wait for my JJ E88CC gold to arrive.

Westinghouse 6DJ8 - West German. I like this one, it retains the soundstage of the stock while smoothing things out a bit at the top end. The bass is very present with this guy.

Rogers 6DJ8/ECC88 - Holland. This one is more along what I expected from a tube amp. The staging shrinks a bit and the bass is less pronounced than the Westinghouse (bass is similar to stock) but the highs take on what I can only describe as a lush "tubey" sound that is very pleasing.

I flip-flop back and forth between them and I do enjoy both of them, I've got the Westinghouse in right now and "Inertia Creeps" by Massive Attack is thumping but with the Rogers in, the same song is more liquid and musical.

Apr 11, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #2,147 of 6,436
I am getting ready to try some Westinghouse in the Vali tonight but mine will be 6sn7's. I found a couple NOS that I have heard good things about. I got a matched pair but I like to listen to them individually in a couple amps before consigning the pair to a Freya.

Apr 11, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #2,148 of 6,436
I picked up a secondhand Vali 2 last week to go with a new pair of HD800S's that I got for a song after selling off all my desktop gear and swearing I was only going to buy IEMs going forward (That lasted all of 6 months, Lol). I've never had a tube amp before and was bit shocked at how bright the Vali 2 was with the stock tube (USA 6DJ8) I grabbed a couple of tubes off a guy locally while I wait for my JJ E88CC gold to arrive.

Westinghouse 6DJ8 - West German. I like this one, it retains the soundstage of the stock while smoothing things out a bit at the top end. The bass is very present with this guy.

Rogers 6DJ8/ECC88 - Holland. This one is more along what I expected from a tube amp. The staging shrinks a bit and the bass is less pronounced than the Westinghouse (bass is similar to stock) but the highs take on what I can only describe as a lush "tubey" sound that is very pleasing.

I flip-flop back and forth between them and I do enjoy both of them, I've got the Westinghouse in right now and "Inertia Creeps" by Massive Attack is thumping but with the Rogers in, the same song is more liquid and musical.

A West German Westinghouse, huh? Can you post a pic? That may be a Telefunken in disguise...

Apr 11, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #2,149 of 6,436
A West German Westinghouse, huh? Can you post a pic? That may be a Telefunken in disguise...

Ugghh. I don't know why that didn't post my pics. Lets try again.

9CE6B3E5-1E4B-4521-95C6-D5761D9D8713.jpeg FB8A135D-1FD6-4AFB-8841-890E9564B3CD.jpeg 3D527D2D-D41B-41F5-8875-18D8A58CBDBC.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #2,150 of 6,436
I am getting ready to try some Westinghouse in the Vali tonight but mine will be 6sn7's. I found a couple NOS that I have heard good things about. I got a matched pair but I like to listen to them individually in a couple amps before consigning the pair to a Freya.

The D-getter version is well liked by many over in the Lyr 3 tube rollers thread....

Apr 12, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #2,151 of 6,436
The D-getter version is well liked by many over in the Lyr 3 tube rollers thread....

I never really had a reason to get a Lyr 3 but have tried most all other Schiit equipment. I should be involved in some double blind tube HP amp testing soon and I will hear one in the mix. The majority of gear will be Class A and that is where my preferences lie.

The Westinghouse tubes are very nice right out of the box and I already have a set nestled inside the Freya along with a set of CBS Hytrons. Those feeding a headphone amp with the Melz 1578 are about as good as I have had headphone gear sounding for my tastes at least. I like the bass and mids of the Westinghouse and they are well matched so I needed to do very little adjusting. It is nice to use the vali for first impressions though, it is a handy little amp.

Oh Ripper pointed these out to me and they are the top D getter, a nice tube to score at $16 each.

My next quest will most likely be for the Western Electric 231A, another version of the 6080, 5998, 6AS7G.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #2,152 of 6,436
Ugghh. I don't know why that didn't post my pics. Lets try again.

Thanks for the pics! From what I can see there is no diamond molded into the glass at the bottom between the pins, so not a Telefunken. Doesn't mean it can't be a great tube though.

Apr 12, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #2,153 of 6,436
I never really had a reason to get a Lyr 3 but have tried most all other Schiit equipment. I should be involved in some double blind tube HP amp testing soon and I will hear one in the mix. The majority of gear will be Class A and that is where my preferences lie.

The Westinghouse tubes are very nice right out of the box and I already have a set nestled inside the Freya along with a set of CBS Hytrons. Those feeding a headphone amp with the Melz 1578 are about as good as I have had headphone gear sounding for my tastes at least. I like the bass and mids of the Westinghouse and they are well matched so I needed to do very little adjusting. It is nice to use the vali for first impressions though, it is a handy little amp.

Oh Ripper pointed these out to me and they are the top D getter, a nice tube to score at $16 each.

My next quest will most likely be for the Western Electric 231A, another version of the 6080, 5998, 6AS7G.

What amp are you going to use the 231A in?

Apr 12, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #2,154 of 6,436
Apr 13, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #2,155 of 6,436
The starter stash of 7A4's just arrived. Unfortunately the adapter just arrived in NY, and will spend the requisite week on vacation there before proceeding south. Maybe next weekend I'll be able to give them a whirl.

Round black plate, but same squared off bottle top as Frankentube. What to call it....we already have Frankenminion. Only one triode instead of 2, but HalfenFrank just doesn't flow. Since it's closely related, how about Frankintube?

See what I did there? LOL!!!

7A4.jpg

Apr 13, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #2,156 of 6,436
The starter stash of 7A4's just arrived. Unfortunately the adapter just arrived in NY, and will spend the requisite week on vacation there before proceeding south. Maybe next weekend I'll be able to give them a whirl.

Round black plate, but same squared off bottle top as Frankentube. What to call it....we already have Frankenminion. Only one triode instead of 2, but HalfenFrank just doesn't flow. Since it's closely related, how about Frankintube?

See what I did there? LOL!!!

LOL Ah the troubles that come with vacuum tubes! What to name them?

Those are very good sounding tubes as you will no doubt discover once your adapter arrives. There appears to be quite a few of these out there and the price is not outrageous. I now have a dedicated area in my home shop for tubes. They are safely protected in surrounding foam rubber six to a box. I wanted to be able to test and re-flow tube pins in the same area and then safely protect them when done. I keep the original boxes but I change tubes out so often that this made more sense to me. IMG_0657.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #2,157 of 6,436
Those are very good sounding tubes as you will no doubt discover once your adapter arrives.

I have full confidence in your recommendations, Tom. But I have a few more coming just in case your "very good" turns out to be totally awesome. LOL!

upload_2019-4-13_9-53-36.png

Apr 13, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #2,158 of 6,436
Hoarder!!! :unamused:

Apr 13, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #2,159 of 6,436
Apr 13, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #2,160 of 6,436

Users who are viewing this thread

Back