Vali 2 tube rolling
Apr 6, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #2,101 of 6,436
Could the cable be intermittent?

Interestingly, I tried three different cables. Also tried my laptop instead of my desktop, tried about 10 different USB ports on my desktop. No dice. Either the port on the DAC got fouled up somehow while it was sitting plugged in?? or it was off put by a power outage we had a few days ago. Either way, power cycles fixed it, or the insertions cleaning the connector. It is good, because the D10 has amazing sound for its size/price. Sometimes a little overhwelming -- too much detail, maybe not quite enough body or heft to the parts that should have it (I think things get a bit in your face sometimes and busy on 'phones like the HE400I). But I liked it enough to use it hours and hours a day. Voices are incredibly clear.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #2,102 of 6,436
Interestingly, I tried three different cables. Also tried my laptop instead of my desktop, tried about 10 different USB ports on my desktop. No dice. Either the port on the DAC got fouled up somehow while it was sitting plugged in?? or it was off put by a power outage we had a few days ago. Either way, power cycles fixed it, or the insertions cleaning the connector. It is good, because the D10 has amazing sound for its size/price. Sometimes a little overhwelming -- too much detail, maybe not quite enough body or heft to the parts that should have it (I think things get a bit in your face sometimes and busy on 'phones like the HE400I). But I liked it enough to use it hours and hours a day.
Just glad to hear it's OK. Technology is wonderful when it works

Apr 7, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #2,103 of 6,436
I haven't had any issues with the Fotons. A bit of a faint tinkling or pinging type sound when a tube is warming up is not at all unusual and no cause for concern (in and of itself). If it was a solder issue you'd likely hear it beyond the warm-up period.
Cool...I looked at the pin ends, and on the one tube which make the noise had some tiny cracks in the solder tip, but still connected. It does clear up after it warms up, and if I don't put on the headphones, I don't hear anything :ksc75smile:

Apr 7, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #2,104 of 6,436
Cool...I looked at the pin ends, and on the one tube which make the noise had some tiny cracks in the solder tip, but still connected. It does clear up after it warms up, and if I don't put on the headphones, I don't hear anything :ksc75smile:

If you can see cracks in the solder with the naked eye, then chances are pretty high it's not a good joint. Might be right on the edge -- when the tube is cold the connection is marginalized causing noise, and as it warms up the metal expands enough to make a good (enough) connection between the wire and pin. If that's truly the case, sad to say it will only get worse with time unless you fix it.

Apr 7, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #2,105 of 6,436
If you can see cracks in the solder with the naked eye, then chances are pretty high it's not a good joint. Might be right on the edge -- when the tube is cold the connection is marginalized causing noise, and as it warms up the metal expands enough to make a good (enough) connection between the wire and pin. If that's truly the case, sad to say it will only get worse with time unless you fix it.

good advice. I was not happy with the grey, dull looking looking solder on my Melz and my pin repair setup was already in place.

Apr 7, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #2,106 of 6,436
I checked my Melz and the solder work from the factory looks awful. It is grey and cracked. I removed that solder and used the good stuff.

Ain't this just friggin incredible? Buying Russkie tubes with lousy workmanship @$100 apiece and then rebuilding them from scratch? Glass blower skills, anyone? :triportsad:

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #2,107 of 6,436
I very, nearly, almost bought an amp solely because it used a tube like that…

LOL!! Looks like it puts out almost as much power as a 6550....but also looks like a pain to implement with a bunch of shielding requirements. I love the antennas though. :relaxed:

Eeek. @Mr Trev ...sir.... What the hell am I looking at? It kind of looks like a tube. That's missing its vacuum glass shielding. And the antennae? Um.... ?!

Sorry that was not a link, just the name of the seller I trust. Than ks for giving credit where credit is due on the photo Bill, I have that one somewhere but it is not easily accessible so I was going by memory. :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-1578-6N...m261891959e:g:g0sAAOSwiOZcTAXD&frcectupt=true

Totally understandable on the Vali and the price point. I use 6sn7's in other amps including this one so it is less of a stretch for me to pay more for a given tube. There is a big difference in using the dual, single triodes if you get a chance to try those out. You can get metal can 6j5's for very little money or pay substantially for some of the older ST's.

@Paladin79 ... I never get tired of that image. It looks like you took a Bottlehead Crack and did THINGS to it. Beautiful, diesel-punk modifications. Nice.

Apr 7, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #2,108 of 6,436
Ain't this just friggin incredible? Buying Russkie tubes with lousy workmanship @$100 apiece and then rebuilding them from scratch? Glass blower skills, anyone? :triportsad:

LOL but they sound so good! Heck even Bill is starting to think so. Mine were not acting up but I doubt the Russians are using anything like Kester solder and it may be a different lead to tin content. What I replaced that solder with is quality material with 2% silver. I saw enough with a magnifier light, I have an inspection scope but no need to get that out. I also like to leave a tiny dome of solder on the pins since that is a wear point.

@Paladin79 ... I never get tired of that image. It looks like you took a Bottlehead Crack and did THINGS to it. Beautiful, diesel-punk modifications. Nice.

Thanks Scuba, I nearly went down that road again but decided to buy a pre-built amp instead. I have to be in the right frame of mind to put that much effort into something and spring is nearly here. Time to enjoy the outdoors and work more on my outdoor music setup.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #2,109 of 6,436

Thanks, that is what I was figuring. As it is, I am going to continue listening to warmed-up tubes until I can no longer. They are not $100 tubes, they were $17 each, and play well above their weight. Since I buy cheap used tubes, I am happy that these two pins on one tube are the only ones I found. The American made Tung-Sols are well constructed, well soldered.

For these Russian tubes, I am blaming the five-year plan at the Tashkent Foton plant, and the Commisar of Quality Control. C'mon Comrade, would Joe Stalin like this soldering?:ksc75smile::ksc75smile::L3000:

Apr 7, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #2,110 of 6,436
For these Russian tubes, I am blaming the five-year plan at the Tashkent Foton plant, and the Commisar of Quality Control. C'mon Comrade, would Joe Stalin like this soldering?:ksc75smile::ksc75smile::L3000:

Maybe they are just Monday morning hangover tubes? Or Saturday afternoon go home soon tubes? :k701smile:

Apr 7, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #2,111 of 6,436
Maybe they are just Monday morning hangover tubes? Or Saturday afternoon go home soon tubes? :k701smile:

Maybe just meant to last ten years instead of forty or so? Some times you find out how long things last after that period of time is over. Some of my oldest tubes were very well made, but they were made back when the US manufactured a lot of electronics. Schiit is a good example of a company still doing some of that.

Apr 7, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #2,112 of 6,436

LOL! Just further proof they don't make things like they used to. :slight_smile:

Apr 7, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #2,113 of 6,436
They are not $100 tubes, they were $17 each, and play well above their weight. Since I buy cheap used tubes, I am happy that these two pins on one tube are the only ones I found. :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::L3000:

You obviously need some $100 tubes that would make the time spent soldering worthwhile.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::sunglasses::stuck_out_tongue:

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #2,114 of 6,436
I had to do the same thing to a couple USA made tubes, of course they were from the 1940's.

Apr 7, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #2,115 of 6,436
We joke about 1950s era Russian tubes, but in reality, if these tubes were meant for ICBMs, then they were designed for a short, one-way trip.
Thank goodness that they never got that opportunity.
I like the fact that Russia is turning weapons of war into peaceful uses...except in arguments about Russian tubes, which get heated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back