Vali 2 tube rolling
Mar 28, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #1,981 of 6,436
I was thinking an external power supply for the heaters with a high quality umbilical. Then just a few extra parts in the Vali's case so it can shoot 600v to the plates. How hard can that be? :slight_smile:

Ok I will get to work on the umbilical, this should be the same as a Vali 2 only bigger I guess. I just need to hang out near junkyards and hope copper thieves are still stealing power lines or old copper pipes out of buildings so can get a cheap source on needed parts.

Oh and that tube I got is safely asleep in a Pelican case just for it. I have owned black glass RCA's but this tube is one that belongs in the Smithsonian inside a one inch thick glass case with thermal sensors and infrared detectors. I have some tubes but nothing like this, I may need to buy a new amplifier, I am not sure anything I own is worthy, probably new headphones as well. Oops basketball is on, see you in a month or two Bill.

Mar 28, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #1,982 of 6,436
Ok I will get to work on the umbilical, this should be the same as a Vali 2 only bigger I guess. I just need to hang out near junkyards and hope copper thieves are still stealing power lines or old copper pipes out of buildings so can get a cheap source on needed parts.

You're kidding me, right? Long crystal six-9's OFC is the minimum acceptable. Oh, and foamed PTFE insulation of course (but that shouldn't even need to be said). Doubt that's available at your local junkyard. What kind of operation are you runnin' here?

Oh and that tube I got is safely asleep in a Pelican case just for it. I have owned black glass RCA's but this tube is one that belongs in the Smithsonian inside a one inch thick glass case with thermal sensors and infrared detectors.

You might just be worse than me. Most would think that impossible... :kissing_smiling_eyes:

Mar 29, 2019 at 7:46 AM Post #1,983 of 6,436
No adapter required, that's the beauty. Basically they're a 9 pin 6sn7.
Interesting, @Mr Trev ... Once I get the hang of rolling, I might try it out. I'm getting my first taste of a larger 6SN7 tube (JJ Electronics, Slovakia) in my little toaster. It's doing SOMETHING to the SQ. I'm listening to the Doobie Brothers (Rockin' Down The Highway), first thing in the morning... no coffee (Loki Mini on bypass). The guitars (frequency) are more pronounced? Clearer imaging? I'm able to parse apart the different instruments & vocals? I had better drink my coffee.
Has anyone run across a Vali adapter for dual 1610's? I really want to try a pair of these:

:smiley::slight_smile:

I'd double-dog-dare you to set (photoshop) this up. :ksc75smile: Great image. I'm assuming that was used on RADAR, television, or AM/FM installations.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #1,984 of 6,436
...anyone willing to try this one?
giant_tube.jpg

Mar 29, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #1,985 of 6,436
^^^ Wait?? There's a tube in that picture??? :smirk:

Mar 29, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #1,986 of 6,436
Mar 29, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #1,987 of 6,436
I'd double-dog-dare you to set (photoshop) this up. :ksc75smile: Great image. I'm assuming that was used on RADAR, television, or AM/FM installations.

There's actually an (audio) app for that. :relaxed: The Kronzilla SX1 Mk 2. 50 watts of single-ended triode power per tube. Bet that would make my Aeon's jump....

Credit for the pictures as properly due (and no, that's not me in the pic. I'm way more handsome):
http://www.stereomojo.com/KR Audio Kronzilla SX1 Mk II Review/KRAudioKronzillaSX1MkIIAmplifierReview.htm

upload_2019-3-29_9-22-52.png

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #1,988 of 6,436
Mar 29, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #1,989 of 6,436
Oh heck you were serious about wanting the amp, it is much easier to find smaller single triiode tubes and to use a bunch of them. If the amp was $16,000 in the late nineties, it has to be really pricey now.

Mar 29, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #1,990 of 6,436
No, on the right is the tube socket.

Or have I been doing this wrong all these years?

:slight_smile:
Sure. Tube socket. Yes.

This is a dangerous direction of the discussion. Let us go back to, err, tubes?

Mar 29, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #1,993 of 6,436
Mar 29, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #1,994 of 6,436
Mar 29, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #1,995 of 6,436
Oh heck you were serious about wanting the amp, it is much easier to find smaller single triiode tubes and to use a bunch of them. If the amp was $16,000 in the late nineties, it has to be really pricey now.

I spend $16k on breakfast. No biggie. The problem is the tubes are like $1500 each.

:slight_smile::stuck_out_tongue:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back