Vali 2 tube rolling
Mar 28, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #1,966 of 6,436
Has anyone run across a Vali adapter for dual 1610's? I really want to try a pair of these:

:smiley::slight_smile:
I am sure some one could fabricate, if they had the pin-outs :astonished::fearful::nerd: I hear they have a very solid Bass but the mids are rather enemic...

Mar 28, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #1,967 of 6,436
Has anyone run across a Vali adapter for dual 1610's? I really want to try a pair of these:

:smiley::slight_smile:

I could make you one but then everybody would want one and I might upset the balance of the universe. The earth would no longer be spinning in greased grooves.

Mar 28, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #1,968 of 6,436
Wow!! @bcowen actually has special 'tube fondling' gloves. Way to go, Bill! :smirk:

Mar 28, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #1,969 of 6,436
Bill should be reporting back shortly on the Melz tubes he just received. That should be interesting!

Mar 28, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #1,970 of 6,436
Wow!! @bcowen actually has special 'tube fondling' gloves. Way to go, Bill! :smirk:
DSC04324_v1.JPG

"Mister Jackson, Mister Michael Jackson, you have left something behind..."

Mar 28, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #1,971 of 6,436
@bcowen has a pretty solid and unwavering process of fondling new tubes for one week before listening to them. He says it establishes a bond and makes the tube more subservient and eager to please. I think there are deeper / darker issues at work here, but what a man does with his tubes in the privacy of his home...

Anyhow - he stated he will begin listening over the weekend and have the tubes ready to ship to @Paladin79 and me on Monday! :grinning:

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #1,972 of 6,436
Bill has a pretty solid and unwaivering process of fondling new tubes for one week before listening to them. He says it establishes a bond and makes the tube more subservient and eager to please. I think there are deeper/ darker issues at work here, but what a man dies with his tubes in the privacy of his home...

Anyhow - he stated he will begin listening over the weekend and have the tubes ready to ship to @Paladin79 and me on Monday! :grinning:

If he hates them we should get a discount. They will probably be traumatized by his tube rituals. I am just glad they are tubes and not kittens or baby ducks, he probably just stares at them for hours.

Mar 28, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #1,973 of 6,436
I agree @Paladin79--the dual Sylvania into a Vali 2 is a very impressive improvement. I was listening last night, and the bass slam is very present, but the rest is also very sweet. Of the NOS metal cans, and the wicked-old ST-types, the two pair of Sylvania tubes are by far the best! I am not sure if they are "Naughty" but they sure misbehave well :ksc75smile:
apologies for my ignorance: metal cans are metal base cans or metal body cans?

Mar 28, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #1,974 of 6,436
apologies for my ignorance: metal cans are metal base cans or metal body cans?

In this case, the 'metal cans' are the metal 6J5 tubes, typically made by RCA or Sylvania and are flat black little 'oil can' shaped tubes. They are fine sounding tubes, not microphonic, but the Glass Tube Sylvanias are better sounding on the Vali 2.

Since the headphones already had their attorney call me about their trademark "cans", I should just say Metal tubes. :ksc75smile:

Mar 28, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #1,975 of 6,436
In this case, the 'metal cans' are the metal 6J5 tubes, typically made by RCA or Sylvania and are flat black little 'oil can' shaped tubes. They are fine sounding tubes, not microphonic, but the Glass Tube Sylvanias are better sounding on the Vali 2.

Since the headphones already had their attorney call me about their trademark "cans", I should just say Metal tubes. :ksc75smile:
Thank you, got thoroughly confused. Tubes, of course.

Mar 28, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #1,976 of 6,436
I could make you one but then everybody would want one and I might upset the balance of the universe. The earth would no longer be spinning in greased grooves.

Who cares what everybody else wants. Just make one for me. I'll tell everyone the tube sucks so you won't have to make more. :slight_smile:

The 1610 pulls 3.8 amps (that's amps, not milliamps) of heater current. Think that will pose any problems for the Vali2? :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue:

Mar 28, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #1,977 of 6,436

That's sooooooo obviously not a tube fondling glove. Tube fondling gloves are ribbed for pleasure. Duh.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Mar 28, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #1,978 of 6,436
Who cares what everybody else wants. Just make one for me. I'll tell everyone the tube sucks so you won't have to make more. :slight_smile:

The 1610 pulls 3.8 amps (that's amps, not milliamps) of heater current. Think that will pose any problems for the Vali2? :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue:

amps, milliamps... practically the same thing only different. I am not sure I could gut a Vali and cram enough parts inside the case to make it feasible.

I just got a Jan 6sn7gt bottom d getter RCA and the gentleman sent me an amazing tube as a freebee, I must be living right. I need to give this holy grail of a tube two weeks burn in and another month laying next to my favorite amp before I try it though. I will be sure and report back to you Bill, I hesitate telling you what it is so you do not jump in your Mazda and make the long drive over here foregoing Tarheal basketball in the process. I will try to get a photo but the light shining off this golden chalice may be too much for my simple camera skills.

Mar 28, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #1,979 of 6,436
amps, milliamps... practically the same thing only different. I am not sure I could gut a Vali and cram enough parts inside the case to make it feasible.

I just got a Jan 6sn7gt bottom d getter RCA and the gentleman sent me an amazing tube as a freebee, I must be living right. I need to give this holy grail of a tube two weeks burn in and another month laying next to my favorite amp before I try it though. I will be sure and report back to you Bill, I hesitate telling you what it is so you do not jump in your Mazda and make the long drive over here foregoing Tarheal basketball in the process. I will try to get a photo but the light shining off this golden chalice may be too much for my simple camera skills.

Man you won't even give me time to listen to the Melz before telling me you now have something better. I think I'm going to switch to solid state and get out of this tube rat race.

Bwahahahaha…..yeah, right. :slight_smile:

Mar 28, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #1,980 of 6,436
I am not sure I could gut a Vali and cram enough parts inside the case to make it feasible.

I was thinking an external power supply for the heaters with a high quality umbilical. Then just a few extra parts in the Vali's case so it can shoot 600v to the plates. How hard can that be? :slight_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back