Valhalla 2 review coming soon!
May 4, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #722 of 907
How do you like the Bugle Boy's? I have a pair of Sennheiser HD800 with no mods and I just ordered a Valhalla 2 hoping it will help with the treble spikes. Any tubes you can recommend? 

May 4, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #724 of 907
  Hi,

Has anyone ever compared the Valhalla 2 with the Asgard 2? Wondering if the Asgard 2 is as good as the Valhalla 2 with a variety of headphones (low and high impedance)? I have an Asgard 2 and the sound is quite warm and have enjoyed listening to it for a while now. Wondering if the Valhalla 2 is worth it as a future upgrade?

Thanks.

I currently have an Asgard 2 and should be receiving a Valhalla 2 by the end of the week, so I will share my thoughts. I will be using them with Sennheiser HD800 and HD800S so I can try to figure out which combination I like best. I have only heard the Asgard 2 with the Sennheiser HD800 and it sounds really good, but the treble spikes are a little bit too much sometimes. 

May 4, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #725 of 907

How do you like the Bugle Boy's? I have a pair of Sennheiser HD800 with no mods and I just ordered a Valhalla 2 hoping it will help with the treble spikes. Any tubes you can recommend?

Hello Carlosp,

I'm probably not the best person to ask, but what I can tell you is it's 100% worth the upgrade.

What I knew immediately, was the separation in instruments was much,  much better.
Also, the highs aren't as ear piercing as before ( but this might be because I'm getting used to the headphones). 

Paid only $30 for them, would recommend them any day of the week.

I'v only tried the Bugle Boys, so I can't really recommend anything else.

May 7, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #726 of 907
I've been trying to decide on a DAC to pair with my Valhalla 2/HD650. Seems that a lot of people just get the Bifrost to complete the stack but is it the best pairing insofar as performance is concerned? 

May 7, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #727 of 907
  I've been trying to decide on a DAC to pair with my Valhalla 2/HD650. Seems that a lot of people just get the Bifrost to complete the stack but is it the best pairing insofar as performance is concerned?

It's definitely a matter of personal preference regarding which DAC is the best match for HD650/Valhalla 2, but for me, I can't think of a better match than the Bifrost multibit.  A wonderful synergy with HD6XX and HD800.  The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

May 7, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #728 of 907

... I can't think of a better match than the Bifrost multibit.  A wonderful synergy with HD6XX and HD800.

+1
I haven't compared my system to other DAC/amp combinations, but my iTunes > BitPerfect > Bifrost Multibit > Valhalla 2 > HD600 system is amazing to my ears.

May 7, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #729 of 907
PC -> Gustard U12->M8 DAC from SMSL->Valhalla 2 -> HD650 sounds really good. 

M8 DAC from SMSL was offered from Massdrop for only $150 or so. However, it should be mated with a better power supply to realize its potential. 

May 7, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #730 of 907
I'm sure the Bifrost MB is a very good DAC with the Valhalla2. However, haven't heard it, I'm using the Gungir MB with the Valhalla2 and the 650s when listening SE.
Highly recommend trying one of the Schiit Multibit DACS!
So is it the best for performance? Probably the Gumby and the Yggy are better, so depends on the $budget, or if you care about stacking two units of the same size.
I would not hesitate with the BifrostMB if the budget is $600.

May 14, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #731 of 907
Can anybody provide a direct comparison between a Bifrost and Bifrost Multibit? I have the Bifrost between my Valhalla 2 and my computer and I think it sounds just fine and really don't see (hear) how the more expensive Multibit could sound any better.

Before I made my purchase (beginning of 2016), I directly asked the guys at Schiit what makes the Multibit better and I could not get an answer. To me, that was kind of like saying "Well, we'll take your extra money if you want to give it to us, but there's no appreciable difference."

May 14, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #732 of 907
Can anybody provide a direct comparison between a Bifrost and Bifrost Multibit? I have the Bifrost between my Valhalla 2 and my computer and I think it sounds just fine and really don't see (hear) how the more expensive Multibit could sound any better.

Before I made my purchase (beginning of 2016), I directly asked the guys at Schiit what makes the Multibit better and I could not get an answer. To me, that was kind of like saying "Well, we'll take your extra money if you want to give it to us, but there's no appreciable difference."

Multiple thoughts here (for and against):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/799894/dc-area-head-fi-meet-saturday-february-27-2016-impressions-thread/135#post_12473308
http://www.head-fi.org/t/805649/schiit-bifrost-vs-bifrost-multibit-bimby-amp-recommendations

I'd also suggest a general perusal of the Bifrost threads.

May 14, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #733 of 907

Yeah, kind of like I thought. I'm happy with my setup and glad I saved a couple hundred bucks! Some people perceive a difference and others don't.

Jun 8, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #734 of 907
After lurking in these threads for a couple of weeks now, I have my very own Valhalla 2 on the way.

She arrives tomorrow and will be joined with (this sounds creepier than I intended) my HD600s. I've only run them through the Audioengine D1 since I got them about 2 years ago so, I am pretty excited to light them up for the first time.

Thanks for all the great info you guys have posted!

Jun 10, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #735 of 907
After lurking in these threads for a couple of weeks now, I have my very own Valhalla 2 on the way.

She arrives tomorrow and will be joined with (this sounds creepier than I intended) my HD600s. I've only run them through the Audioengine D1 since I got them about 2 years ago so, I am pretty excited to light them up for the first time.

Thanks for all the great info you guys have posted!
I also had a D1 but I was running it into a Headroom micro dac in front of my HD600's. The Valhalla 2 was a huge improvement IMHO. Can't wait to hear what you think! Enjoy!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back