Valhalla 2 review coming soon!
Jan 24, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #331 of 907
Any update on the Crack vs V2?

Just got my V2 yesterday.  I'm coming from the Topping VX1.  Pairing it with HD650s and Magni.  I'm so far unsure the 650s have improved dramatically.  It's definitely more resolving and the highs have definitely improved, but I feel like the bass is less impactful.   Does this improve with burn-in?  It's weird, but the 650s seem to be brighter with the V2.  What in your opinions is the appeal of a tube amp that sounds solid state, vs a solid state amp?

Are you actually saying that the Valhalla 2 sounds like a Solid State amp? What do you consider a typical Tube amp sound or expect a typical Tube amp to sound like? :confused:

Jan 24, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #334 of 907
Very interesting. I'm very new to this... How can a power cable affect SQ?

By preventing the EMI and RFI that is all around one's components from entering the power cord, or by preventing the escape of EMI from cords pulling current when operating components. Essentially, lowering the noise floor of your system. Some power cords work better than others; Shunyata's happen to work particularly well. 

They also improve SQ by improving dynamic current delivery during transients. Check out Shunyata's web site for more information, informative videos and data. 

Jan 25, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #335 of 907
I was considering the Valhalla 2 for my HD650, since I read some reviews that said the cheaper Vali isn't the best match. Has anyone used the HD650 with the Valhalla 2, and how did it pair up?

Also, why did they put a 1/8 headphone jack on it? 1/4 would seem to make more sense.

Jan 25, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #336 of 907
Yes, that is my setup along with the Modi 2 Uber. You will love it! Just give it all some time to break in. 1/8 inch is for iPhones and computers. Also, some DACs like the Audioquest Dragonfly use 1/8 inch.

Jan 25, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #337 of 907
Yes, that is my setup along with the Modi 2 Uber. You will love it! Just give it all some time to break in. 1/8 inch is for iPhones and computers. Also, some DACs like the Audioquest Deagonfly use 1/8 inch.

Thanks, it seems like a leading option.

Still, the 1/8 jack doesn't make much sense. It's much better to have a 1/4 jack and an adapter than the other way around.

Jan 26, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #342 of 907
  i have the valhalla 1 worth upgrading? what are the differences?

Do you need preamp outs or high/lo gain switch? do you need to run low impedance cans from this amp? if not, and you are happy with your original, it wont make much of a difference.

Jan 28, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #344 of 907
Bump...

Would really like more feedback on Crack vs Val2.  Also on whether this thing warms up after some break in.  I'm about 30 hours in and the highs are a little harsh to my ears.  I'm considering returning to Schiit and getting the Crack+speedball, unless anyone can convince me otherwise.  

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #345 of 907
  Any update on the Crack vs V2?

Just got my V2 yesterday.  I'm coming from the Topping VX1.  Pairing it with HD650s and Magni.  I'm so far unsure the 650s have improved dramatically.  It's definitely more resolving and the highs have definitely improved, but I feel like the bass is less impactful.   Does this improve with burn-in?  It's weird, but the 650s seem to be brighter with the V2.  What in your opinions is the appeal of a tube amp that sounds solid state, vs a solid state amp?

how do you mean you are pairing it with the Magni?  That would be double-amping...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back