Valhalla 2 review coming soon!
Oct 5, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #211 of 907
  Can I ask where you picked up those tubes?

eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/111386804844?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The seller is great, although his listings are a bit pricey compared to others. There;s no channel imbalance or issues with matching, he even provides test data and lets you chose the pair you want. If you shoot him a reasonable offer he will work with you on price as well. 

Oct 5, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #217 of 907
Just wanted to do a quick comment on some tube rolling that I've done.  Using my HD800's, I was never very happy with the stock tubes - plenty of power but too much of an up-front, in my face kind of sound stage for my taste.  Also, I felt there was kind of a greyness to the sound, lacking color (if that makes sense to talk about sound in terms of color?). I think the my impression improved with burn-in (device or brain burn-in?) but the essential characteristics of the sound stayed the same to me. The past couple of days I've been using Telefunken 6922 Cryo in place of the stock 12XA7 tubes.  I don't recall where I got the idea to try them out (probably somewhere on this thread) but they're making a significant difference (at a somewhat steep cost unfortunately).  The sound stage seems more open - certainly wider if not as much depth.  There's more air and separation between instruments.  There also seems to be more of the color that I alluded to earlier - I'm not what other word to use.  There seems to be greater extension on both the low and high ends.  Initially, it seemed like there was a loss of low-end punch but I don't think that's the case now - it's just not as apparent with the more open sound.  At first the highs also seemed to be a little bit more harsh and bright but that seems to have settled down nicely.  One thing I'd like to hear though is some more weight to the mids - they seem to be a bit thin now.  I'm curious to know if another tube would add that without losing what I'm currently liking about this combination.  Possibly that might come with more burn-in?

On another note, I'm curious to know if anyone else has an issue with the "Input 1" RCA jacks being loose?  Just noticed today that they jiggle a bit when I attach the cables.  The "Input 2" RCA jacks are more solid.

Oct 6, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #220 of 907
Just wanted to make an update to my previous comments regarding the V2 with the HD800s.  Just let it play all day with the Telefunken tubes - they have some hours on them now.  This thing is really sounding nice.  I don't know how this compares with more expensive and highly regarded tube amps such as Eddie Current or DNA, since I've never heard them, but I can say without hesitation that I'm very pleased - what a bargain!  You just can't judge this guy based on the stock tubes though.

Oct 7, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #221 of 907
Hey Matt, or anyone else who has heard the V2 and the Crack+SB, could you give me your impressions on the strengths of each amp with the HD650's?  I'm super surprised at the lack of info and impressions to be found at large on the V2.  

From what I have read the Crack+SB has a euphonic sound with quite a bit of punch. I am just worried that the combo will be too warm and lack resolve.  If you could only have the Crack+SB or the Valhalla 2 to pair with your 650's what would you pick?

Oct 7, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #222 of 907
  Hey Matt, or anyone else who has heard the V2 and the Crack+SB, could you give me your impressions on the strengths of each amp with the HD650's?  I'm super surprised at the lack of info and impressions to be found at large on the V2.  

From what I have read the Crack+SB has a euphonic sound with quite a bit of punch. I am just worried that the combo will be too warm and lack resolve.  If you could only have the Crack+SB or the Valhalla 2 to pair with your 650's what would you pick?

The Val 2 was a better IMO for the 800. I loved the crack with the hd6x0, but the signature just got to mushy/tubey with the crack/800. The Val 2 allows the 800 to play out it's strengths while lending just a slight tilt of tube goodness. 

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #223 of 907
Thanks for the reply!

Wow.  I am kind of surprised at how well the Crack/HD650 combo ranks considering BOTH components are considered thick sounding.   I would have thought the net result would be over the edge...

I really enjoy my HD650's and want an amp that is clear but adds a touch more bass quantity/slam and a touch more treble than my current set up (I plan on feeding my amp with a modi and building a DIY version of a Corda crossfeed with adjustable bass, treble and crossfeed level). Does the high damping factor of the Val 2 provide any noticeable advantage over the Crack+SB?

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #224 of 907
The Crack and Val 2 sound just about as different as two tube amps can sound. The Val sounds more like a solid state amp than a tube amp. But since you've got a crack already, why not try it with the 800 to see if it happens to curl your toes anyway. Nothing to loose. 

Oct 13, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #225 of 907
  The Crack and Val 2 sound just about as different as two tube amps can sound. The Val sounds more like a solid state amp than a tube amp. But since you've got a crack already, why not try it with the 800 to see if it happens to curl your toes anyway. Nothing to loose. 

Hi Matt,

Long time.  How do you find the synergy between the Val 2 & the HD600 ?  Do you use different tubes with the HD600 than with the HD800, or do you just use the same ones ?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back