Valhalla 2 review coming soon!
Sep 25, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #196 of 907
  I have no idea why this amp isn't talked about more. Schiit did an amazing job with this thing. Better than the bottlehead crack with speedball in my opinion. It also costs less. I just got it and so far it is better than expected.

+1 I made this same comment a few weeks ago. I don't know that I'd call it better than the BHC w/sb, just different. The BHC is a tube amp that sounds tubey. The Val2 is a tube amp that sounds...well. solid state. It's very clean and resolving. Beautiful with the hd600/650/800. It also sounds very good with the ma900 and if you put it on high gain it works pretty darn good with efficient planars like the he400/400i. 

Sep 25, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #199 of 907
She's my niece. Thanks.  
smile.gif

Sep 26, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #200 of 907
Right out of the packaging these '60s Foton tubes sound awesome. Definitely a little more open and distant sounding. Not sure if I like the distance this adds but I really like the openness it adds (this is a very minor thing to me, however); I'm going to wait until these puppies get some hours on them.

Oct 2, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #201 of 907
I feel that this amp is still flying way under the radar around here. Maybe I need to start a tour. Drives the following incredibly well:

*hd600

*hd650

*sony ma900

*he400i 
eek.gif

*hd800 
eek.gif
eek.gif

*vsonic gr07 mkii (iems)

Oct 3, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #204 of 907
Right out of the packaging these '60s Foton tubes sound awesome. Definitely a little more open and distant sounding. Not sure if I like the distance this adds but I really like the openness it adds (this is a very minor thing to me, however); I'm going to wait until these puppies get some hours on them.

Ugh, wish I could get them. I'm about flat out broke since I just got the Val 2 and HD800. 

The stock tubes actually aren't bad at all. I have some $80 a pair Matsush1ta (1 = i, spam filter thinks I'm cursing) E88CCs with Mullard tooling and rolled them. Soundstage is huge on these but with the HD800 everything seemed way too distant. I actually somewhat prefer the stock tubes to them since it has a more in your face sound. 

The feeling that I was seated in the rear of the auditorium, plus a lack of dynamics, is why I returned the Valhalla 2, but it's remarkable with the HD800 in many respects.

Oct 3, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #206 of 907
Is the Valhalla 2 a big step up compared to the Vali? I bought my HD800's this spring and I've been using them with the Vali ever since, sounds very good imho but you know, you can always find something better :) 

Oct 3, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #207 of 907
  I'm considering getting the Valhalla 2 for my HD800, can you go more into detail on why you returned it? Thanks! 

Hi ModestMeowth,

First, I would like to encourage you to try it with your HD800, before listening to me or any other people who have moved on.  

I also want to confess that I have a bias against using tube gear, because I immediately fall into wondering whether it would sound better if I were to try these tubes or those tubes, instead of just accepting the amp with its stock tubes. I tend to get obsessive with such things, as evidenced by the many hours I've spent rolling op-amps in my iBasso PB2 portable amp. 

But getting back to the sound of the Valhalla 2, in the context of my personal tastes, I appreciated it for its neutrality, its resolution, and most significantly, for how it exhibits none of the edginess one normally hears with most solid state amps driving the HD800.  But, as I mentioned earlier, I was surprised at how laid back the Valhalla 2 sounds - as if you are seated well back from the stage, instead of front and center.  The sound stage is huge with the Valhalla 2 > HD800, greater than I'm accustomed, from years of listening to the LCD-2 on solid state amps, especially.  In time, I could have adapted, I'm sure. Along with the distant seating, however, came a lack of dynamics - a lack of punch or slam.  In truth, and I say this with almost a forced humility, that laid back, big soundstage, reduced dynamics sound of the Valhalla 2 (relative to my OPPO HA-1, for example) translates to a more natural and realistic sound than I'm used to hearing.  In other words, I'm admitting that I'm probably conditioned to enjoy a level of dynamics and closeness that is quite unnatural - but its what I like!  

Again, I'll say, in time, I could have adapted, but I'm on a (ridiculous) quest to push my HD800 in the direction of sounding like the LCD-2.  I know I'll never get there, but the Valhalla 2 was a move in the wrong direction for what I'm trying to achieve - except that it had none of the harsh treble that the HD800 is so effective at revealing in my solid state amps.

In short, I think the Valhalla 2 is a great amp for the HD800, but I'm trying to feed the HD800 with a signal that will allow it to retain its many strengths, while also acquiring some attributes of the LCD-2 (as defined by my tastes).

Mike

Oct 3, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #208 of 907
Interesting how we all hear differently.  In regards to the sound stage with HD800's, rather than feeling like I'm seated away from the stage, I'm finding the sound too upfront, almost in my face.  I would prefer to hear a little more distance and air.  This is with the stock tubes by the way.  I've only had the Vahalla 2 for a few weeks now, so maybe my impression will change with more burn-in.

Oct 5, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #209 of 907
  Interesting how we all hear differently.  In regards to the sound stage with HD800's, rather than feeling like I'm seated away from the stage, I'm finding the sound too upfront, almost in my face.  I would prefer to hear a little more distance and air.  This is with the stock tubes by the way.  I've only had the Vahalla 2 for a few weeks now, so maybe my impression will change with more burn-in.

Get some Foton 6N6Ps, I got '60s but I hear some people prefer the '70s Novosibirsk tubes. I found the Foton tubes I got to add a little more separation and distance; with some more time on the tubes I think that I like them a bit more than the stock ones. 

It cost me about 50 dollars for the tubes I got but the 70 tubes are cheaper, you can also get some box-plate versions for around 100 a pair.

Edit: I want to add that the separation helped vocals come out of complex/low-end heavy music a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back