Valhalla 2 review coming soon!
Sep 7, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #166 of 907
  I would say the Valhalla 2 will be a nice step up from the bravo.  Try it out and see if you think it is.  If not, return it and save some money!  However, if you find it better (I bet you will), then consider a DAC upgrade.  In the meantime the fiio will be fine-o.  The Modi would be a great candidate, a highly rated DAC for just $100.  Or, to match the Valhalla 2 in terms of performance, and aesthetics/design, and with more flexibility (2-3 inputs depending on which version), get the Schiit Bifrost.  Top flight and cost efficient and future proof.

Thanks for the reply. I will try out the Fiio first since I have it. I expect to hear a difference between the valhalla and the bravo, I mean, right? Will be curious to see how big a difference I can hear.

The bifrost looks interesting but may be overkill. I only need to connect to my computer and don't see that changing any time soon. But the bifrost is cool because it can be upgraded.
More info on this and as to how that came about: http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up/690#post_10428728

We'll see. 

edited:spelling error

Sep 7, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #167 of 907
  I had the Fiio E10 (non k) out to the Valhalla (1) for a while. Honestly, the E10 was a major bottleneck. Sounded muddy all arround. Once I stepped up to even a modest ODAC, the ODAC+Valhalla was clearly a step up from the E10 alone.

I read some information where the e10k was a complete redesign over the e10. This is close: http://www.head-fi.org/t/726304/the-fiio-e10k-all-new-dac-and-amp-stages
The e10k doesn't sound muddy to me. If I remove the bravo from the equation and just use the e10k it sounds just fine, the bravo just makes it a little bit warmer and has gobs more power.
Driving the grado's at 32 ohm keeps the volume knob on the bravo below 10 o clock. 
Sounds like the e10k is a definite improvement over the e10.
Is Fiio a respected manufacturer?  The e10k seems well made, nicer than the bravo for sure.

Sep 7, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #168 of 907

Thanks for the reply. I will try out the Fiio first since I have it. I expect to hear a difference between the valhalla and the braco, I mean, right? Will be curious to see how big a difference I can hear.

What headphone are you using?  Maybe this would be a better upgrade candidate than the DAC...

Sep 9, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #171 of 907
Purchased some 1965 Foton 6n6p tubes off of eBay. They'll arrive towards the end of the month, it's too long of a wait! :'(

I'll let you know how they sound when I finally get them.

Sep 9, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #172 of 907
I continue to be impressed with the signature of this amp. Both in terms of refinement and detail. So far the hd650 and he400i are excellent matches for this amp. I have yet to flip the gain switch to "hi" even with the he400i. The stock tubes are very nice and I feel no need to upgrade them, as of yet. 

For $350 the Val 2 is simply a steal. 

Sep 9, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #173 of 907
  I continue to be impressed with the signature of this amp. Both in terms of refinement and detail. So far the hd650 and he400i are excellent matches for this amp. I have yet to flip the gain switch to "hi" even with the he400i. The stock tubes are very nice and I feel no need to upgrade them, as of yet. 

+1 

I'm at comfortable volume levels in the HD800 with the volume pot at 12 o'clock on Low Gain (using a DAC with 2V rms output), so I don't feel compelled to go to Hi Gain at the risk of raising the noise floor.

I'm still using the stock tubes with the HD800 and feel satisifed, but I'm a wee bit curious and tempted by good reports on the Russian 6N6P-i NOVOSIBIRSK Gold grid NOS (for the output stage).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6N6P-i-STONG-MATCHED-PAIR-tubes-NOVOSIBIRSK-Gold-grid-NOS-for-Little-Dot-MKIII-/141392955444

At $24 for a matched pair, with shipping, I wouldn't mind trying them, but the last thing I want to do is start chasing after tubes that cost $50 a piece or more.  

I've never heard any rave reports of affordable upgrades for the input stage.

Are you still running stock tubes?

Thanks!

Mike

Sep 9, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #176 of 907
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but aren't the 6N6Pi tubes for pulse mode operation? Apparently they aren't guaranteed to have as long of a life as a regular 6N6P and some other bad stuff.

I've read good things about the 6N6PDR, but they're $600-800 a pair on eBay... oh my
confused_face.gif

Anyway, my Valhalla 2 is arriving tomorrow... thank you @MattTCG and @zilch0md for convincing me to buy. I will report back at the end of the week or so with some small impressions driving the HD800, and just for the heck of it even the HE560.

Sep 10, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #178 of 907

I'm using it to power HD600 and HE400i, and agree.  Am using the high gain for the Senn, and mostly the low gain for the HFM.  The Valh 2 is so well suited w/ the Senn that it's coming out ahead of the HFM; I intend to try another amp or two to see if that gives the HFM a boost.

Sep 10, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #179 of 907
  Forgive me if I'm wrong, but aren't the 6N6Pi tubes for pulse mode operation? Apparently they aren't guaranteed to have as long of a life as a regular 6N6P and some other bad stuff.

I've read good things about the 6N6PDR, but they're $600-800 a pair on eBay... oh my
confused_face.gif

Anyway, my Valhalla 2 is arriving tomorrow... thank you @MattTCG and @zilch0md for convincing me to buy. I will report back at the end of the week or so with some small impressions driving the HD800, and just for the heck of it even the HE560.

Snatch these up, the seller has also sold a 6n6p-dr for 90 dollars yesterday (JUST ONE). http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-pcs-BOX-PLATE-NOS-6N6P-Gold-grid-ECC99-E182CC-6N30P-Foton-early-1960s-tubes-/121432444748?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1c45f00f4c&autorefresh=true

If I had not purchased the non-box plate version I would have bought these.

Edit: 6n6p-dr = 6n30p-dr if you search ebay with the correct model you will get more results.

Edit 2: also try Audiogon, you can ask the seller about this listing since it's a bit confusing as to what the tubes are http://app.audiogon.com/listings/parts-6n6p-russian-close-6n30p-dr-2014-08-28-vintage-equipment-russia

Sep 10, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #180 of 907
  Snatch these up, the seller has also sold a 6n6p-dr for 90 dollars yesterday (JUST ONE). http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-pcs-BOX-PLATE-NOS-6N6P-Gold-grid-ECC99-E182CC-6N30P-Foton-early-1960s-tubes-/121432444748?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1c45f00f4c&autorefresh=true

If I had not purchased the non-box plate version I would have bought these.

Edit: 6n6p-dr = 6n30p-dr if you search ebay with the correct model you will get more results.

Edit 2: also try Audiogon, you can ask the seller about this listing since it's a bit confusing as to what the tubes are http://app.audiogon.com/listings/parts-6n6p-russian-close-6n30p-dr-2014-08-28-vintage-equipment-russia

Ugh, wish I could get them. I'm about flat out broke since I just got the Val 2 and HD800. 

The stock tubes actually aren't bad at all. I have some $80 a pair Matsush1ta (1 = i, spam filter thinks I'm cursing) E88CCs with Mullard tooling and rolled them. Soundstage is huge on these but with the HD800 everything seemed way too distant. I actually somewhat prefer the stock tubes to them since it has a more in your face sound. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back