Valhalla 2 review coming soon!
Aug 26, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #151 of 907
Is it me or does the sound thicken up after a few hours?  I wonder if it's because the enclosure slowly heats up.  The input tubes are predominantly below the top cover and might get a little hot.  As it is I start out with the HD650s and after a couple of hours switch over to the T1s. :)  Maybe socket savers would be helpful in raising the tubes a bit and running slightly cooler.

Aug 26, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #152 of 907
Hmm I notice quite the opposite. When I first turn the amp on it sounds a little more congested than when warmed up. Check to see if your tubes are seated properly when cool. 

Aug 26, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #153 of 907
I am REALLY surprised that this amp isn't getting more attention. It's really an incredible offering at the price. Stock tubes are good. A little full OTL amp with some solid state characteristics. Just sounds amazing with hd650. 

Aug 27, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #155 of 907
  Is it me or does the sound thicken up after a few hours?  I wonder if it's because the enclosure slowly heats up.  The input tubes are predominantly below the top cover and might get a little hot.  As it is I start out with the HD650s and after a couple of hours switch over to the T1s. :)  Maybe socket savers would be helpful in raising the tubes a bit and running slightly cooler.

I use socket savers and it definitely keep the amp a lot cooler.

Aug 27, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #157 of 907
  I am REALLY surprised that this amp isn't getting more attention. It's really an incredible offering at the price. Stock tubes are good. A little full OTL amp with some solid state characteristics. Just sounds amazing with hd650. 

Me too.. I'm surprised by the lack of impressions.  If I didn't have a custom CTH coming, a Valhalla 2/HD650/HD800 combo would be at the top of my list.

Aug 28, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #159 of 907
I think that the title of the thread isn't really attractive for other Valhalla 2 owners. Hell, the only reason I found it is because I wanted to read a review before pulling the trigger.

Sep 6, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #160 of 907

I use socket savers and it definitely keep the amp a lot cooler.

I got a set too and think this is a fine idea.

However, I found the culprit, and it wasn't temperature related.  It was due to an Apple Airport Express sitting next to the power cables, I noticed while listening that when I moved the AE around the bass response changed.  So I put it on a 10' optical cable and placed it about that far away.  I also got a Furman power conditioner, put the AE in one of the "noisy digital" outlets, and equipped the DAC and amp with PS Audio Jewel 1 power cables (on sale for $35 at a particular online store, looking at the massive heft of these things I'd say that's a good price) and connected them to the conditioner.  The bass is now rock solid.  I think what happened was it got later in the evening and RF traffic reduced, with the AE lowering its power output and the bass picked up.  It is now what it should have been all along.  Live and learn. 

Sep 6, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #161 of 907
Anybody pairing with the HD800? Have any insight or comparisons? I did some digging in the 800 thread and feedback seems positive.

I'm using a Mini X speaker amp to drive my HD800s. It works, but it certainly isn't ideal (noise, fairly sensitive volume control).

I'm looking to spend $400 max on a tube amp for them.

Sep 6, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #162 of 907
Very new to this but found this website, and then this thread. Hopefully this is the right place to post this question. If not, please be kind and point me to the right location.

I just ordered a schiit valhalla 2 and should have it in a few days. Was wondering what DAC should/could/would go with it.

Where I am at right now:
Currently using a linux box as my sound source listening to FLAC rips. Have a usb fiio e10k as the dac and the line out going to a bravo ocean tube amp. Using grado sr80e and now sr325e headphones. I bought a bunch of tubes but my favorite so far is a GE 12au7 with long silver/black plates made in the 50's. 
I listen to mostly jazz and classical. 

My question is will the fiio e10k be sufficient paired up with the schiit valhalla 2? I read so many reviews and it is honestly somewhat confusing. There is so much information, opinion, science(?) etc. to filter through.
I was looking at the schitt modi as a possible option but am not sure if it will really make a difference.

I am mostly happy with my current setup, I just have some doubts about the bravo. From what I have read it skimped on the mosfets, capacitors, resistors...but overall with the new tube it does sound pretty good to me. Hoping the valhalla is a step up from that though.

Appreciate any feedback. Again, I am a noob. If this is the wrong place to post this then sorry!

Cheers!

Sep 6, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #163 of 907
  Me too.. I'm surprised by the lack of impressions.  If I didn't have a custom CTH coming, a Valhalla 2/HD650/HD800 combo would be at the top of my list.

Anybody pairing with the HD800? Have any insight or comparisons? I did some digging in the 800 thread and feedback seems positive.

I'm using a Mini X speaker amp to drive my HD800s. It works, but it certainly isn't ideal (noise, fairly sensitive volume control).

I'm looking to spend $400 max on a tube amp for them.

The Valhalla 2 has made me vewy vewy happy!   

Well, maybe not that happy...  
tongue.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/650510/the-new-hd800-impressions-thread/13620#post_10859413

Mike

Sep 6, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #164 of 907
  Very new to this but found this website, and then this thread. Hopefully this is the right place to post this question. If not, please be kind and point me to the right location.

I just ordered a schiit valhalla 2 and should have it in a few days. Was wondering what DAC should/could/would go with it.

Where I am at right now:
Currently using a linux box as my sound source listening to FLAC rips. Have a usb fiio e10k as the dac and the line out going to a bravo ocean tube amp. Using grado sr80e and now sr325e headphones. I bought a bunch of tubes but my favorite so far is a GE 12au7 with long silver/black plates made in the 50's. 

My question is will the fiio e10k be sufficient paired up with the schiit valhalla 2? I read so many reviews and it is honestly somewhat confusing. There is so much information, opinion, science(?) etc. to filter through.
I was looking at the schitt modi as a possible option but am not sure if it will really make a difference.

I am mostly happy with my current setup, I just have some doubts about the bravo. From what I have read it skimped on the mosfets, capacitors, resistors...but overall with the new tube it does sound pretty good to me. Hoping the valhalla is a step up from that though.

Appreciate any feedback. Again, I am a noob. If this is the wrong place to post this then sorry!

Cheers!

I would say the Valhalla 2 will be a nice step up from the bravo.  Try it out and see if you think it is.  If not, return it and save some money!  However, if you find it better (I bet you will), then consider a DAC upgrade.  In the meantime the fiio will be fine-o.  The Modi would be a great candidate, a highly rated DAC for just $100.  Or, to match the Valhalla 2 in terms of performance, and aesthetics/design, and with more flexibility (2-3 inputs depending on which version), get the Schiit Bifrost.  Top flight and cost efficient and future proof.

Sep 7, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #165 of 907

Where I am at right now:

Cheers!

I had the Fiio E10 (non k) out to the Valhalla (1) for a while. Honestly, the E10 was a major bottleneck. Sounded muddy all arround. Once I stepped up to even a modest ODAC, the ODAC+Valhalla was clearly a step up from the E10 alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back