Valhalla 2 review coming soon!
Jul 8, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #47 of 907
So I ordered my Valhalla 2 and Modi DAC. Is anyone use Senn 650 with this combination? I'm replacing my FiiO setup (E07k with a E09 Desktop amp) which sounds way to harsh with the 650.  Curious as I also have a Asgard 2 on order to compare with the Valhalla and would like to know someones who has the tube set up with the Senn's. I might not even unbox the Asgard 2 as I'm reading posts that favor the Valhalla 2 with the 650. Of course it's subjective but would like someone to chime in.

Jul 9, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #48 of 907
  So I ordered my Valhalla 2 and Modi DAC. Is anyone use Senn 650 with this combination? I'm replacing my FiiO setup (E07k with a E09 Desktop amp) which sounds way to harsh with the 650.  Curious as I also have a Asgard 2 on order to compare with the Valhalla and would like to know someones who has the tube set up with the Senn's. I might not even unbox the Asgard 2 as I'm reading posts that favor the Valhalla 2 with the 650. Of course it's subjective but would like someone to chime in.

Go the Valhalla you won't regret it.   Just a note to all I just installed socket savers in my Valhalla 2 and I have to say the amp isn't getting nearly as hot. Before even the volume knob was getting very hot to the touch. Besides it looks cool having your tubes higher to besides the heat issue. I have also installed some decent feet to which is giving the amp some air under to.

Jul 9, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #49 of 907
  Go the Valhalla you won't regret it.   Just a note to all I just installed socket savers in my Valhalla 2 and I have to say the amp isn't getting nearly as hot. Before even the volume knob was getting very hot to the touch. Besides it looks cool having your tubes higher to besides the heat issue. I have also installed some decent feet to which is giving the amp some air under to.

The Valhalla 2 really does pair well with 300ohm Senns, glad that I got one. Where can we order those socket savers if you don't mind me askin?

Jul 9, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #50 of 907
I'm hoping to pair it with my DT-880 (600ohms) as well as my HD600 (300 ohms) .. I think I won't regret the purchase - plus it will be my first tube amp

Jul 9, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #51 of 907
I'm also interested in the Valhalla 2. I use my HD 650's mostly and I keep reading of this headphones supposed synergy with valves so I'm intrigued. I'm currently using an O2 and I wonder if anyone is in a position to compare these amps.

Jul 9, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #53 of 907
  The Valhalla 2 really does pair well with 300ohm Senns, glad that I got one. Where can we order those socket savers if you don't mind me askin?

you have a few options tube depot sell basic ones and then you can get whiz bang ones from tube monger which I also have on order http://www.tubemonger.com/NOVIB_Socket_Saver_with_Vibration_Red_B9A_NOVAL_p/novib.htm   .

Jul 10, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #54 of 907
  you have a few options tube depot sell basic ones and then you can get whiz bang ones from tube monger which I also have on order http://www.tubemonger.com/NOVIB_Socket_Saver_with_Vibration_Red_B9A_NOVAL_p/novib.htm   .

Wow! $25 a piece? How about this one? https://www.tubedepot.com/products/9-pin-socket-saver

Is that the one you got from Tube Depot?

Jul 10, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #55 of 907
I'm also interested in the Valhalla 2. I use my HD 650's mostly and I keep reading of this headphones supposed synergy with valves so I'm intrigued. I'm currently using an O2 and I wonder if anyone is in a position to compare these amps.

Have you thought about considering Lyr 2? That will probably cover both your HD650 & Q701? 

Jul 10, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #57 of 907
  Wow! $25 a piece? How about this one? https://www.tubedepot.com/products/9-pin-socket-saver

Is that the one you got from Tube Depot?

Yeah I got both the cheap and the pricier ones. The tube monger ones claim increased tube performance so it shall be interesting to test those claims.
The cheaper socket savers go very tightly into the sockets so you don't want to be pulling them out to much. Although as I said with the tubes elevated the Amp runs a lot cooler which is fantastic.

Jul 11, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #58 of 907
After week burn-in: Fundamental frequencies seem to have more body. The Shure 1840 can now play D.O.A. (The Blueprint 3 by Jay-Z) without sounding too thin. During Well, Well, Well (Endlessly by Duffy) the laddie's voice is no longer a flute, but it has convincing texture. Brainless (The Marshall Mathers Lp 2 by Eminem) flows like a canoe through a wild river. Links 2 3 4 (Made in Germany 1995-2011 by Rammstein) is the warm shower promised on schiit.com. After my mood changed and I was willing to listen to more relaxed songs... The timing of Ayo singing Sunny (Ticket To The World) really hooked me. Tchaikovsky's Marche slave (Detroit Symphony Orchestra, Decca ADRM) was all about music and not about a somewhat older recording technology. Amazing how that composer keeps fascinating me. He makes me watch a ballet in the theatre with my eyes closed. Still, the possibility remains, the tube rolling done by the hifi-cat from next-door also contributed to this improved sound. To be honest I also compare the Valhalla 2 with the original one writing this. I only use the low-gain mode, since the high-gain is far less refined on my low impedance cans. So next to the Bifrost Uber, more tubes to choose from, I now also want high impedance cans to benefit from the lesser feedback in high-gain mode. Will it ever stop...

Jul 13, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #59 of 907
Hey Everyone,

I just pulled the trigger on a Valhalla 2.  What is the consensus on the best tubes to roll for this amp?  

Also, has anyone been using Hifiman HE-400s with this amp.  What are your impressions?

-J 

Jul 13, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #60 of 907
  Hey Everyone,

I just pulled the trigger on a Valhalla 2.  What is the consensus on the best tubes to roll for this amp?  

Also, has anyone been using Hifiman HE-400s with this amp.  What are your impressions?

-J 

I am still rolling a few through but the genalex lions sound great once broken in. I have some ecc88 telefunkan's and mallards coming which shall be interesting. But there very expensive. The genalex lions are very reasonably priced and sound fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back