Valhalla 2 review coming soon!
Jun 23, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #16 of 907
Sorry guys, busy weekend. I have about 20 hours on the amp now and it has definitely opened up. Sounds quite good, but I haven't had time for any long listening sessions to really dig in, so want to be fair and give the amp/ tubes a few more hous breakin and then give it a more critical listen. Will look at doing some tube rolling once I feel I know the character of the amp. Stay patient....more detailed feedback coming soon!

Jun 24, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #18 of 907
I am hoping mine opens up some more. I did a quick comparison with my Lyr last night and the Lyr is quite a bit better sounding. I don't know if the Valhalla 2 will ever equal the Lyr (1) but considering it has gotten all the upgrades and the Lyr is still the original I would think it should come fairly close eventually.

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #19 of 907
I have about 30 hours on my Valhalla 2. It has definitely opened to the point where I am now just starting to listen to music, rather than equipment.

It's so close being able to disappear. But, at this point, it is that little bit of grain or frequency extremes that have not fully relaxed or opened up. That last little bit, for me, is the telling point. I think around 50 hours this amp/ new tubes combo should be hitting its stride. It is good now. If it does fully open up, it may just be an absolutely amazing little amp.
20 hours of break-in to go.

Jun 25, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #20 of 907
My Valhalla 2 arrived today with my new cambridge dad what a freaking amazing difference over my previous setup of a maverick audio d1 plus. I finally can hear the beauty of my beer t1's what excites me even more the sound is just going to improve even more with some burn in time. I am really thrilled.

Jun 26, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #21 of 907
I am now 24hrs into burning in my Valhalla 2, bass is feeling a lot more controlled and less waffly . The High frequencies also feel more natural and smooth.  Its such a lovely amp, its getting better by the hr. I have electro harmonix and gold lion tubes on the way. With my Beyer T1's there sounding incredibly transparent and dynamic. 

It will be interesting to roll them in and see how they effect the sound.  I should mention all the music I am playing are at least 24bit 96khz

Jun 26, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #22 of 907
Which Gold Lion tubes are you going to try with the Vahalla?  E88CC?

Definitely interested in what tubes you roll and your impressions.  I have a Vahalla and just getting started trying out different tubes.

Jun 26, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #23 of 907
  Which Gold Lion tubes are you going to try with the Vahalla?  E88CC?

Definitely interested in what tubes you roll and your impressions.  I have a Vahalla and just getting started trying out different tubes.

The Genalex Gold Lion 6922/E88CC tubes  with Gold Pins
the electro harmonic for the 6H30N i am getting the p version
ill post my thoughts once i have them and have some hrs into them..

I do have to say though the stock tubes are a lot better than I imagined.

Jun 29, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #28 of 907
Haven't heard the original Valhalla. Tha amp has now really opened up. It is very detailed. Bass control is quite good and the treble is excellent . Soundstaging is also quite good. There is still a bit of grain, so I have swapped out the stock tubes and put some 1965 USN 6922 Amperex tubes in. Will give it a listen shortly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back