Valab NOS DAC - subjective listening and modifications
Aug 6, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #781 of 2,013
hi Bill,

wife has digital camera and she out of town for a few days ..check out the link
picture #5 shows wima caps bypassing smd's

Rich

CD DAC Lampucera lampizator

Aug 7, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #782 of 2,013
I use the Vishay MKP1837's a lot and they sound great. It's always nice to have a bunch of them around. You can better buy them at Farnell because that saves quite some money. I paid EU 1,35 per 5 pieces last time.
By the way, Parts Connection ripped the description of the MKP1837 from a very interesting Cap Test from a small dutch company Humble Homemade Hifi
There's a lot for us "Capfreaks" to read there.

Aug 7, 2009 at 10:55 AM Post #783 of 2,013
Aug 9, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #784 of 2,013
Removed the transformer and replaced the 1uF Obbligatos /w cryo'd same value.
Better micro details. Better topend. Better pebbly texture on bass and resonance on cello, etc, etc.

dac_board.jpg

Diminishing returns? ... a 2% increase on already realized 100% increases means that the recent 2% really equates to ... what? More than 2% I suppose. Know what I mean?

The geography of the board has seen a nice change with the transformer and filter caps gone. Might be a better idea to dress those cables under the board for connection but they are not causing any noise on the output leads.

The board is well documented and under the transformer there is again details on how to attached the transformer. the board may make a good DIY PCB kit. Would I pay for an unpopulated board with only surface mount ICs in place? Yes.

These cryo'd Obbligato caps from Bill are very worth the $10ea. Thanks again amigo. The kind of detail which is uncovered with them in place is so satisfying. Very tasty. ... (Jupiters, I know, I know.)

Aug 9, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #786 of 2,013
No bass limitations. When I first changed to a 1uF there was a tightening up which might have been less to a more exacting analysis but with the DC-30W PSU there is way more than enough bass.

I think with the cheaper stock caps they attempt to get all they can from them so going to a higher value may induce more "apparent" bass. Better bass, that comes from better caps, etc. I have 1uF on the output of my phono pre and line pre so I see no reason why 1uF is not enough on the DAC.

I got caught on this a while back on the CDP. I removed some output caps and placed a 1uF cap there. 'Felt' like it wasn't enough so I replaced with a 4.7uF to no discernible effect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Pat, do you notice any bass limitations with a 1uf coupling cap?

Aug 12, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #787 of 2,013
There's a plug-in solution for applying a coax digital galvanic isolation transformer before a DAC. It's sold on eBay and Audiogon by a small manufacturer called Modmaxx. It has some filtering in the circuit beside the GIT and the manufacturer uses very high quality components throughout. - Modmaxx DC1

I've had a little correspondence with the manufacturer inquiring about the digital transformer they use and I thought I'd mention it as a possible alternative to those you've already mentioned. The Modmaxx uses a transformer made by Scientific Conversion in California. They are very proud of their digital transformers. No idea what their transformers cost but I'll bet they're significantly more expensive than anything you've mentioned so far. Any thoughts?

Scientific Conversion, Inc. - Transformers and Inductors

Pat... did you get the Lundahl? I have a Newava S22160 on the way for my Valab.

- Rand

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatOMalley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is a good thread discussing a pulse transformer application.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/add...ransit-129132/

Two things I am taking away from it this time is that the S22160 is a bit better than the PE-65612 that I am now using. And so then it is most probable that the Lundahl may again be a bit better. I think I will opt for the Lundahl since I have proved concept to myself.

Aug 12, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #788 of 2,013
Hi all,

it has been a very long time since my last visit and I can see that things are keep changing with fast pace on the Valab side of the world.

from the title you can guess that my valab went on fire. I think the only parts I need to change are just the 10R resistor and the yellow cap near the IEC.

Do you know which parts should I use for the replacement, as I cannot find the type of capacitor. on the top is written T47nJ 100 . please see the attached pictures.

your help would much appreciated

many thanks
LL

Aug 12, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #789 of 2,013
LL,

That looks like a designation for 47 nanojules @ 100 volts.
47nF = 0.047uF
I would get a carbon resistor to replace the burnt one.

Rand,

Didn't get the Lundahl yet. I want to settle on the current changes, let the new caps burnin and transformer form, then change for the Lundahl. I think I will order it today but I won't install it for a few weeks.

Aug 12, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #790 of 2,013
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjlucas76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all,

it has been a very long time since my last visit and I can see that things are keep changing with fast pace on the Valab side of the world.

from the title you can guess that my valab went on fire. I think the only parts I need to change are just the 10R resistor and the yellow cap near the IEC.

Do you know which parts should I use for the replacement, as I cannot find the type of capacitor. on the top is written T47nJ 100 . please see the attached pictures.

your help would much appreciated

many thanks
LL

This is something that normally shouldn't happen. The resistor and cap are only for decoupling the DAC ground to the chassis.
This means that there is a current running through it that shouldn't be there.
Do you have the DAC powercord connected to an earthed power point?
If not, try to do that, then it probably won't happen again.

One thing is important when you order the resistor: Buy one with the exact power rating. You can see the resistor as a fuse which will burn out if something's wrong with the grounding.

Aug 13, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #792 of 2,013
Quote:

Originally Posted by dubai2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This has nothing to do with LL's problem - sorry - but does anybody know how to connect an input transformer to the USB socket of the Valab? If so any pic(s) would be very useful.
Thanks in advance.

There's no need for a transformer at the USB input as it doens't have a resistance like Coaxial SP/DIF needs for the signal transfer.

Aug 13, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #794 of 2,013
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhodes54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is something that normally shouldn't happen. The resistor and cap are only for decoupling the DAC ground to the chassis.
This means that there is a current running through it that shouldn't be there.
Do you have the DAC powercord connected to an earthed power point?
If not, try to do that, then it probably won't happen again.

One thing is important when you order the resistor: Buy one with the exact power rating. You can see the resistor as a fuse which will burn out if something's wrong with the grounding.

Thank you all for the help so to recap

I need to buy a capacitor 47nF 100V and a carbon resistor of 10R

do you now the W or V of the resistor, please?

LL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back