Valab NOS DAC - subjective listening and modifications
Aug 2, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #751 of 2,013
Wir freuen uns darauf, Ihnen lokalisierte Versionen bekannter Programme anbieten zu konnen:
Englisch, Deutsch, Franzoesisch, Italienisch, Spanisch und viele andere Sprachen!

Sofort nach dem Kauf konnen Sie die gewunschten Programme herunterladen und installieren.

Unser Preis.
Windows XP Pro With SP3 - $59.95
Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 - $69.95
Office 2007 Pro - $59.95
Adobe Photoshop CS3 - $79.95
AutoCAD 2009 - $149.95

Wir haben auch noch andere Programm fur Macintosh
Microsoft Office 2004 for MAC - $79.95
Adobe Acrobat 7 Professional for MAC - $59.95
Adobe Creative Suite 2 Premium for MAC - $229.95
Macromedia Dreamweaver 8 for MAC - $69.95

Wir haben mehr 300 verschiedener Programmes fur PC und Macintosh!
Kaufen jetzt, warten Sie nicht!

Aug 2, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #753 of 2,013
Wir freuen uns darauf, Ihnen lokalisierte Versionen bekannter Programme anbieten zu konnen:
Englisch, Deutsch, Franzoesisch, Italienisch, Spanisch und viele andere Sprachen!

Sofort nach dem Kauf konnen Sie die gewunschten Programme herunterladen und installieren.

Unser Preis.
Windows XP Pro With SP3 - $59.95
Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 - $69.95
Office 2007 Pro - $59.95
Adobe Photoshop CS3 - $79.95
AutoCAD 2009 - $149.95

Wir haben auch noch andere Programm fur Macintosh
Microsoft Office 2004 for MAC - $79.95
Adobe Acrobat 7 Professional for MAC - $59.95
Adobe Creative Suite 2 Premium for MAC - $229.95
Macromedia Dreamweaver 8 for MAC - $69.95

Wir haben mehr 300 verschiedener Programmes fur PC und Macintosh!
Kaufen jetzt, warten Sie nicht!

Aug 2, 2009 at 10:31 AM Post #754 of 2,013
You say look 'elsewhere'.... well I have had 4 different amplifiers, and just 1 using opa2134 was not sharp as it probably 'filters' out some of the edginess through the opamp.

But the dac is either a bit rough, or the AKG K 701 are just too bright. But with the jupiters the dac is just super smooth, but it looses a bit out on detail and spatial positining, though extremly realistic.

I will try the Claritycap MR, as I read the Mundorf SIO as a very bright cap.. Thtat will be the last of it.

I am selling my ampohm 0.22 paper in wax, Soniccraft gen II 0.22uf and obbligato 4.7uf premimum for a very good price if anyone wants them.

K

Aug 2, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #755 of 2,013
I use Denon's low end AH-D1001 which I like better than the Sennheiser HD280.
You could buy up to the topend of the Denon line as I think they have this house sound thing going which has more bass and a much smoother rendition, at least vs the Senns. The Senns seeming thinner. Long story short, you could buy those Denon headphones which would probably cost you about the same as the Mundorf's because it is the safest bet that the caps are not the issue.

The Yaqin tube buffer I now use went a long way in delivering a ton of presence and smoothness across the board.

The transformer on the coax input also removed some sharpness that I didn't know was there till it was gone.

***** Give up on the caps. That is not the issue. You are now using some of the best caps there are for the money. You will waste good money on those Mundorf's.

BTW, tell me this is not a joke and you are for real. This is not a troll, right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by krisno /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But the dac is either a bit rough, or the AKG K 701 are just too bright.

I will try the Claritycap MR, as I read the Mundorf SIO as a very bright cap.. Thtat will be the last of it.

K

Aug 2, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #756 of 2,013
Pat, I wouldn't bet on it, I've been away from this site for several months for various reasons, I come back to browse around and what do I see but the same old posts by you know who. BTW, it sounds like your sold on the Yaqin Buffer, I came across a used one for a good price that I probably should jump on, not sure if i'd rather spend the money on a power supply.

Phill

Aug 2, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #757 of 2,013
hehe. You guys are incredible. Can you answer a simple question without going rude?

I am saying, the Jupiters are smooth, but a bit too smooth, spatiality is gone, and the edges of cymbals are gone etc. Though very realistic. The Obbligato is a bit on the 'hard/edgy' side with this DAC in my opinion.

So I am asking, what would be the middle choice with Obbligato on one side and jupiter on the other?? (jupiters are much better than the ampohm wax in paper). ... Is Mundorf SIO a good middle ground? As rich as jupiters but with better spatiality, resolution and bass??

The Claritycap MR gets some nice critics, but this might be a crossover cap and not good for coupling. I don't know.... What coupling cap do you use Tubes? what is your favorite pat?

K

Aug 2, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #759 of 2,013
K,

I got some super duper magic caps for sale that will transform your Dac ..$200.00 each ,..cash only

Aug 3, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #760 of 2,013
I was chatting with Michael Yesterday about some other stuff and while talking about power supply I asked him if the power supply for DC-30W is the same as DAC V3. The answer is no. DAC units use voltage regulators in the power section and DC-30W use Darlington pair transistors for constant current source. Michael didn't think this was a big deal, but I think this is something that should be brought up because it will have an effect on the DAC's fidelity for the better as some people confirmed...

So the DC-30W should be viewed as constant current variable DC power supply which makes it better than regular DC power supply based on voltage regulars....

Norm

Aug 3, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #761 of 2,013
Trying out the exotic caps would be waste of money. To reduce jitter further, try the Dynamic jitter attenuation circuit as well as the I2S attenuation. it is well documented in diyaudio.

To further improve the sound, the IV resistor is extremely important. that would be Vishay S102J or similar. and I still think TDA1543 is very NOS like. lack details (especially on the high) and dynamics.

Aug 3, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #762 of 2,013
@tubes

I followed Pat's example and got the Yaqin as well. I swapped input and output caps (using Wima MKP10 - the only thing that fitted) and I think his description of the sound is spot on. Of course I cannot tell if the PS is of equal 'importance' - especially as I've done the Jogi mod mentioned above. Anyway, for the money the Yaqin is certainly worth its relatively modest outlay (IMO).

@Pat

did you ever get around removing those input caps?

Aug 3, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #764 of 2,013
I would take advantage of the short price on the Yaqin. It is worthy. But I don't want to be without the TeraDac DC-30W. The Yaqin increases presence and the PSU increases bass and ease. Ease is a funny thing.

Presence is a thing unto itself. Ease is like the core sound evolving: bass, delivery, pace. Pace is a funny thing, too. Some things speed up, some things slow down. I think they are actually being delivered at their more original speed.

Timbre is the name of the game around all the mods. It;s something the DAC excelled at from the beginning. Imagine that getting better and better.

[I feel like I am competing for a bu11sh17 badge sometimes with all this descripto]

The thing just keeps delivering.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pat, I wouldn't bet on it, I've been away from this site for several months for various reasons, I come back to browse around and what do I see but the same old posts by you know who. BTW, it sounds like your sold on the Yaqin Buffer, I came across a used one for a good price that I probably should jump on, not sure if i'd rather spend the money on a power supply.
Phill

Aug 3, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #765 of 2,013
Looking forward to your experiences with the buffer. I find it takes you deeper into the music - especially 'complex' stuff like some of Arch Shepp's stuff gets easier to understand - if that makes sense. Also lyrics are easier to understand. I think the Yaqin is very much of an 'improvement' in that it makes music more real.
BTW: I am using a pair of NOS Amperex at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back