V-MODA Zn: Official Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, Videos, etc.
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #196 of 363
  Just received mine delivered to me at work. The only sources I have here are my Nexus 6P and my work PC with an Asus Xonar U3 USB sound card. The Nexus 6P makes the bass way too boomy and overwhelming regardless of what earphones you use (maybe it's tuned for the crappy free earbuds most people tend to use with their phones - it sounds like a loudness button on steroids) so my impressions are based on the Xonar U3, playing 320kbps mp3s in foobar2000. 

What music app are you using w/ your 6P?  Mine sounds almost identical to the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy Tab S2, so I don't find the sound bloated or overly extended.  I use Google Play Music exclusively, sometimes with my own MP3s and sometimes streaming the high bit rate stuff.

Dec 18, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #197 of 363
Are these seriously worth the money? I'm looking to get a new pair of IEM's and have always heard great things about V-Moda's sound. Currently I'm rocking with some Sennheiser CX150's, and while they get the job done (and have been very reliable over the last 2 years), they leave something to be desired. I also left them at college, and I can't go back for another month so I'm stuck with my ATH-CKS77's for the time being.

I love bass but I don't want it to overpower my music to the point where everything is muddy and drowned out. I listen to every style of music, from bass-heavy rap to acoustic rock to smooth jazz. You name it, I play it. Will these be a solid all-around pair?

I do listen on an Android, but I think that remote capabilities are stupid, quite frankly, on any headphones, so it doesn't effect my opinion one way or another if the volume controls, etc etc. don't work on my phone.

These seem right up my alley from what I've been seeing, just would like some confirmation from my Head-Fi pals.

Dec 18, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #198 of 363
Are these seriously worth the money? I'm looking to get a new pair of IEM's and have always heard great things about V-Moda's sound. Currently I'm rocking with some Sennheiser CX150's, and while they get the job done (and have been very reliable over the last 2 years), they leave something to be desired. I also left them at college, and I can't go back for another month so I'm stuck with my ATH-CKS77's for the time being.

I love bass but I don't want it to overpower my music to the point where everything is muddy and drowned out. I listen to every style of music, from bass-heavy rap to acoustic rock to smooth jazz. You name it, I play it. Will these be a solid all-around pair?

I do listen on an Android, but I think that remote capabilities are stupid, quite frankly, on any headphones, so it doesn't effect my opinion one way or another if the volume controls, etc etc. don't work on my phone.

These seem right up my alley from what I've been seeing, just would like some confirmation from my Head-Fi pals.

Yes. Worth every penny. It's pretty straightforward.

Soundwise I'm impressed. I've only had the V-MODA headphones and none of their iems and I'm happy to say this iem lives up to the hype of the rest of their headphones.

Dec 18, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #199 of 363
To have a pair of iem's sound this good with the cable button weight/fit problem is properly frustrating. Hell I want to keep them even if I know I don't wear them anywhere near how much I wear my other sets but my better half knows I'm being stupid cause they can't be run in, lifted in, walked around town in without creating the same rage as if they were ripped out of my ears by an object the only difference is these won't stay in even without an object. Maybe a redone version would be better cause I'll buy quick.

Dec 18, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #200 of 363

I have also had problems keeping the right earphone in my ear (the side with the remote).  I switched to Comply active tips and, in addition to increased comfort, I have not had any problems keeping the earphone in place.  I do not, however, wear them while doing anything active.  Even though the ZN's are light and certainly well built, they do not fit securely enough to be active headphones for me even with the Comply tips.  But I really like their sound signature and so will definitely keep them.

Dec 18, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #201 of 363

What music app are you using w/ your 6P?  Mine sounds almost identical to the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy Tab S2, so I don't find the sound bloated or overly extended.  I use Google Play Music exclusively, sometimes with my own MP3s and sometimes streaming the high bit rate stuff.

Poweramp, which I've used pretty much my whole time on Android since my original HTC Desire. I've used the Zn on the Nexus 6P a bit more and they actually don't fare nearly as badly as my M-100s, which pick up a nasty booming and sound dull compared to with my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 2013, which actually sounds damn good. I wonder if the 6P is spiking a frequency to which the M-100 are particularly sensitive -- maybe this can be improved by some EQ. I do have the paid version of Neutron as well, I just never really got on with the UI and I never thought it sounded any better/different, but I'll have a mess about with that too.

I have a bit more feedback on the sound of the Nexus 6P here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/785067/nexus-5x-and-6p-sound-quality/45#post_12152385

Dec 21, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #203 of 363
The android/3button issue is most def a hardware fragmentation issue. There is no way around it. No software will fix it to use the 3 buttons, it's all up to android to make it a standard like apple has for their devices.

Dec 23, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #204 of 363

I have been a big fan of V-Moda shortly after I joined Head-fi.  I think the LP2 was the second headphone I purchased, after everyone recommended that my first purchase should be the ATH-M50.  However, all I have tried from their iem line was the Bass Freqs, which went on sale as a discontinued item at Radio Shack.  Since I was already a big fan, I bought their entire stock and gave them out as gifts to my friends and they go rave reviews.  I tried to buy the Vibrato, but by the time I looked, they were sold out.  I think the ZN is an upgraded and updated version of the Vibrato.

However, to answer your question, everything that I have purchased from V-Moda has been spot on, but more importantly their customer service is really great too.  So if the Zn fits your budget and sound signature, I would go for it.  I plan on buying myself a pair in March after I have some big expenditures in January and February.

Dec 23, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #205 of 363

To me I have a bunch of IEM and varies from price. The ZN's are the most expensive IEM I have...But more importantly is it worth it? In my opinion yes. You can always enact the return policy that Val has extended to us here and gave us a few extra months to try tem out. I for one, was hooked on the sound of these the first time I put them on and that is before they are properly burned in.

I have had the old Crossfades and had them before upgrading to the M100s and that was a major jump and glad I did! I absolutely adore my m100s and was tempted by the recent new immortal/trade in program to upgrade to the wireless m100s. But I can't do it. I can't tear myself to give the m100s up! lol. And when Val said the ZN's are comparable to the M100's signature, I was skeptical, until I used them. If you have ever had tried on the M100s, they have similar bass thumps where you hear the clarity but not the muddyness of the bass that comes when the bass is asked. Are they bass heavy? Nope not to me. But I am sure others can chime in. I also have a pair of XS' as well but they are mostly used for movie watching/netflixing on my tablets than music listening. And have been taken by my 7yr old daughter lol. 

But like I have said before, if you don't like it, return it. 

Dec 24, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #206 of 363
Hey Val and everyone! This is my first post on Head-Fi although frankly I've been following this thread almost everyday. I'd like to share my thoughts and comparisons of the Zn here. This was also posted to my Amazon review.

After about a month use, I really love my Zn. These last 2 months I've been super addicted to audio equipments and even purchased 2 headphones and 2 speakers! So, Ive been on a quest to see how my own headphones compare to other headphones. I think the Zn's "warm" sound is very pleasant, in addition of having a very good wide soundstage for an IEM.

COMPARISON (From the Zn's perspective)
Apple EarPods: WAY more clarity and bass (DUH!).
Sol Republic Relays Sport / urBeats: The Zn are more balanced and WAY more crisp. Bass not as overpowering, but feels more punchy.
BeoPlay H3 ANC: Similar soundstage but more balanced sound while the H3's treble feels very over-pushed.
Sennheiser Momentum In-Ear: Also similar wide soundstage but the mids are better on the Zn. This is because I feel the Momentum kinda overemphasizes their bass and treble.
Shure SE315: Zn offers a warmer sound and a wider soundstage.
RHA T10i: Warmer sound from the Zn but also similar soundstage.
In this "headphones addiction" time of mine, I'll keep posting comparisons if I ever get to do more of them.

Reference tracks:
-Middle by DJ Snake
-Always Be My Baby by Mariah Carey
-Dekat Di Hati by Ran (an Indonesian song)
-When We Were Young by Adele
-Vampire by Lazyboy Empire
-We Get Crazy by Codes

Dec 24, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #207 of 363

I have been a big fan of V-Moda shortly after I joined Head-fi.  I think the LP2 was the second headphone I purchased, after everyone recommended that my first purchase should be the ATH-M50.  However, all I have tried from their iem line was the Bass Freqs, which went on sale as a discontinued item at Radio Shack.  Since I was already a big fan, I bought their entire stock and gave them out as gifts to my friends and they go rave reviews.  I tried to buy the Vibrato, but by the time I looked, they were sold out.  I think the ZN is an upgraded and updated version of the Vibrato.

However, to answer your question, everything that I have purchased from V-Moda has been spot on, but more importantly their customer service is really great too.  So if the Zn fits your budget and sound signature, I would go for it.  I plan on buying myself a pair in March after I have some big expenditures in January and February.

I did enjoy the original bass freq made of plastic but when they switched the model to metal the sound changed and the bass became weak so I returned them.  I haven't touched the brand since.

Dec 24, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #208 of 363
P4s2p0
I get what you mean. I bought my son the x7i from Klipsch and returned them for the same reason, because of a "tinny" sound. I have wondered if that was the material or the positioning of the drivers. There are certainly other popular iems like RHA that have the same metal makeup.

Dec 26, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #209 of 363
I have the ZNs for About a day now. My expectations where pretty high after the reviews. For now I'm not satisfied with the sound signature of these IEM's, the bass is to boomy for my taste en the mids sounds too muffled an too much on the background which makes the sound pretty dul. Used ALAC files and spotify combined with a dragonfly dac and also an iPhone and iPad.

Hope my experiencs of these IEMs will be beter in a couple of days, otherwise I ship them back.

Dec 27, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #210 of 363
I wear the ZN with cable over the ears without the hooks, but I do wear eyeglasses so no need for hooks.
This works great for me, no fitting problems and the Zn are staying in my ears very good. With cables over the ears no microphonics here.
For cable over ears the remote maybe could be one or two centimeters lower but I think it is still fine, mic is pretty much at the heigh of my mouth I think and phonecalls work fine for me like this (with cables over ears.)

At first I wasn't too happy with the headphone bag/case. But now I ended up with wrapping up the Zn+cable around three fingers. Wrapped up like this the Zn fit fine into the case, works good for me. But I do have some worries that the magnet could damage bank cards?!? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back