V-MODA Zn: Official Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, Videos, etc.
Dec 6, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #166 of 363
Here's my video of opening the ZN box...

I too thought they were plastic very briefly because my hands were cold. After using them for a few days they are indisputably metal.
They definitely improve with time. A good burn in made a big difference for me.

Dec 6, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #167 of 363
If the play/pause button on the three button version works on Android the same as the button on the single button version then why bother buying/making the single button version at all? I would have thought it would make more sense to get the three button version anyway and have two inactive buttons with Android, then in case you were ever to switch to iOS or volume button support is added on future Android devices you would have all three buttons... Especially as the cable is fixed, not swappable as it is on the over-ears.

I ordered the three button version from US Amazon. With the US/EU price disparity and exchange rate it works out £30 cheaper than Amazon UK. Apparently they'll be with my US reshipping service between Wednesday and Friday, then allowing another week for it to be forwarded to Singapore I should have them just before Xmas! 

Dec 8, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #168 of 363
I got my ZNs in mid-November and I've been using them on runs every day since. I wanted some earphones that didn't sacrifice sound at the expense of durability and I thought these ZNs would be it because my M100s have been amazing still after a year of wear. After a short while (a week or 2 of using them) the 3-button remote mic stopped working. I couldn't increase or decrease the volume of the earphones, only pause the music. I figured that this wasn't really a big issue because I didn't really care for the remote and kept using them because the music still sounded great. These last couple of days, however, I've been noticing a static noise from the right earphone and it's gotten worse over time. The static in the right earphone is at the point where it's made listening to music unpleasant. So if anybody wants to use the ZNs for exercise I would advise that you err on the side of caution and don't. I do sweat a lot during runs, but I've used other much cheaper earphones that weren't intended for exercise and they've lasted longer than these. 

Dec 9, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #169 of 363
  I got my ZNs in mid-November and I've been using them on runs every day since. I wanted some earphones that didn't sacrifice sound at the expense of durability and I thought these ZNs would be it because my M100s have been amazing still after a year of wear. After a short while (a week or 2 of using them) the 3-button remote mic stopped working. I couldn't increase or decrease the volume of the earphones, only pause the music. I figured that this wasn't really a big issue because I didn't really care for the remote and kept using them because the music still sounded great. These last couple of days, however, I've been noticing a static noise from the right earphone and it's gotten worse over time. The static in the right earphone is at the point where it's made listening to music unpleasant. So if anybody wants to use the ZNs for exercise I would advise that you err on the side of caution and don't. I do sweat a lot during runs, but I've used other much cheaper earphones that weren't intended for exercise and they've lasted longer than these. 

I didn't think to test the remote, but I had the same static noise as described (without using them for exercise)

Dec 9, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #170 of 363

I didn't think to test the remote, but I had the same static noise as described (without using them for exercise)

How dirty are your headphone jacks? Put on the headphones and rotate the headphone jack after you plug it in. Do you get static? It could simply be dust in your headphone jack.

Dec 10, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #171 of 363
I have been a member of head-fi for years, preferring to read the forums and learn from the (generally) good thoughts of other, more seasoned head-fiers.  But I feel that I should make a comment about V-Moda and Val Kolton.  A couple weeks ago I read V-moda's announcement offering a 50% trade value for any existing V-moda in-ear headphone towards the purchase of the company's new ZN headphone.  I happened to have an old pair of V-Moda Bas Freq headphones lying in a drawer and V-Moda graciously gave me the advertised discount towards the ZN.  

Not many companies, in my experience, have been as generous to, and engaged with, their customers as Val Kolton and V-Moda.  I realize Val runs a company that needs profits, but I appreciate the way he balances his interest in his company's future with his interest in the head-fi community.  

I received my ZN headphones about a week ago and have found them to be a substantially better headphone than my old Bas Freq headphones (as I expected).  I have enjoyed seeing the growth in production values and technical progress of V-Moda products and the two V-Moda products I currently own (M-80 and ZN) hold a secure place in my headphone collection because of their durability and fun, detailed sound signatures.  

Dec 10, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #172 of 363
  I have been a member of head-fi for years, preferring to read the forums and learn from the (generally) good thoughts of other, more seasoned head-fiers.  But I feel that I should make a comment about V-Moda and Val Kolton.  A couple weeks ago I read V-moda's announcement offering a 50% trade value for any existing V-moda in-ear headphone towards the purchase of the company's new ZN headphone.  I happened to have an old pair of V-Moda Bas Freq headphones lying in a drawer and V-Moda graciously gave me the advertised discount towards the ZN.  

Not many companies, in my experience, have been as generous to, and engaged with, their customers as Val Kolton and V-Moda.  I realize Val runs a company that needs profits, but I appreciate the way he balances his interest in his company's future with his interest in the head-fi community.  

I received my ZN headphones about a week ago and have found them to be a substantially better headphone than my old Bas Freq headphones (as I expected).  I have enjoyed seeing the growth in production values and technical progress of V-Moda products and the two V-Moda products I currently own (M-80 and ZN) hold a secure place in my headphone collection because of their durability and fun, detailed sound signatures.  

Great post, and I agree completely.  I'll always pimp V-MODA products to my friends because not only do they stand behind their products and listen to their critics but they also produce fantastic headphones/IEMs.

Dec 10, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #173 of 363
I've been really enjoying the Zn myself with the LH Labs Geek Out v2+. Like jo-shway, I got mine through V-MODA's generous Immortal Life Program (I had a pair of dead Vibes). I'd describe the sound signature as warm-tilted with polite treble, which is the perfect sound signature for traveling where there's often background noise. I haven't heard the XS before but based on Innerfidelity's measurements, I hear the Zn being closer in sound to what I imagine the XS sounds like over the M-100. The Zn definitely doesn't have the big 9-11 kHz spike in the frequency response that the M-100 has in my experience.

Dec 11, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #174 of 363
@TrancerSte, i too am dumbfounded at 2 models (the one-button version is actually already available), without having a 3 button control for Android including volume. If the ios version works for Android then why bother manufacturing the one button too, and then not making one that controls volume? It seems to me the same form factor (3 button remote) could be used for both models with just a swap in the wiring for Android/ios versions.
@rokerino, there are actually several ear buds with dedicated 3 button controls for Android now. The Xiaomi Pistons (now in 3rd and 4th iterations) have worked perfectly for a few years now, including volume control, for a cheap price. I'd think it would be easy to do with just a wiring change in the cable.
@miceblue, I'd welcome the ZN signature being closer to the XS personally. I love both my m100 and xs, but xs is to me just the sweeter. M100 bass can be a bit too much at times. XS is more even throughout range without losing any fun in bass either. And so compact, portable, comfortable...Still trying to decide if i NEED the ZN! :wink:

Dec 11, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #175 of 363
@miceblue, I'd welcome the ZN signature being closer to the XS personally. I love both my m100 and xs, but xs is to me just the sweeter. M100 bass can be a bit too much at times. XS is more even throughout range without losing any fun in bass either. And so compact, portable, comfortable...Still trying to decide if i NEED the ZN! :wink:

Ah, that's good to hear then. I might need to hear a XS in person. There's actually quite a few V-MODA-weilding people in the area. I've seen both the M-100 and M-80 among the street pedestrians. Neat stuff.

Right now, I've gotta say that I'm not enjoying the Zn as much as I remember enjoying my previous Vibes. However, I'm enjoying them in a different way. Back then, the Vibe's huge bass response made listening to music just so fun and I loved singing along to whatever pop music was big back in 2008 (e.g. Justin Timberlake's "What Goes Around" song). Now, 7 years later, I've been exposed to a lot of great headphones and in-ears. I'm enjoying the Zn more than a lot of other in-ears to be honest. Whatever tuning V-MODA did for the Zn, that did the trick for these ears. Most in-ears that I listen to have either 1) no bass, 2) too much bass, 3) upper-midrange emphasis that sounds harsh, 4) treble peak that sounds way too sizzley, 5) no treble. The Zn manages to go right in-between all of those problems for me and I've really been enjoying its sound for how clean it sounds overall.

For me, the Zn is definitely a keeper. I'll have to let a friend listen to them, who likes and listens to in-ears more than me (I like full-sized headphones or full-sized portable headphones myself).

Dec 12, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #176 of 363
Ah, that's good to hear then. I might need to hear a XS in person. There's actually quite a few V-MODA-weilding people in the area. I've seen both the M-100 and M-80 among the street pedestrians. Neat stuff.

Right now, I've gotta say that I'm not enjoying the Zn as much as I remember enjoying my previous Vibes. However, I'm enjoying them in a different way. Back then, the Vibe's huge bass response made listening to music just so fun and I loved singing along to whatever pop music was big back in 2008 (e.g. Justin Timberlake's "What Goes Around" song). Now, 7 years later, I've been exposed to a lot of great headphones and in-ears. I'm enjoying the Zn more than a lot of other in-ears to be honest. Whatever tuning V-MODA did for the Zn, that did the trick for these ears. Most in-ears that I listen to have either 1) no bass, 2) too much bass, 3) upper-midrange emphasis that sounds harsh, 4) treble peak that sounds way too sizzley, 5) no treble. The Zn manages to go right in-between all of those problems for me and I've really been enjoying its sound for how clean it sounds overall.

For me, the Zn is definitely a keeper. I'll have to let a friend listen to them, who likes and listens to in-ears more than me (I like full-sized headphones or full-sized portable headphones myself).

How is Zn compared to Audio Technica IM70? Thanks.

Dec 13, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #177 of 363
The IM70 are my current favourite sound for the price but the durability of the detachable cables leaves a lot to be desired - I've just broken my second pair in about 18 months. My Zn will arrive from the US next week so I'll give my opinion on how they compare shortly.

Can anyone confirm which size Comply foams will fit them, if any?

Dec 13, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #178 of 363
  The IM70 are my current favourite sound for the price but the durability of the detachable cables leaves a lot to be desired - I've just broken my second pair in about 18 months. My Zn will arrive from the US next week so I'll give my opinion on how they compare shortly.

The V-Moda Zn uses the same tips as the V-Moda Vibrato (they have similar sound sigs as well, though the Zn makes improvements upon the Vibrato so it acts more as a successor to the Vibrato).  That said, the tips will fit: Vibrato

Edit: damn, Comply's site doesn't work as expected.  Search for the V-Moda Vibrato on their site.  Sorry.  

Dec 13, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #179 of 363

The Comply website shows all V-MODA IEMs use the 400s.  My guess is that the Zn will also fit the 400s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back