V-MODA Zn: Official Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, Videos, etc.
Dec 14, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #183 of 363
How is comfort, cable noise, and the ability to 'stay-in' ears for you? Since adapting to the over-ear style of my IE80s, I can't see going back to the drop-down style of most earbuds. Also, the IE80 feels incredibly light, their stated weight being 5g. How heavy do the ZNs feel at 20.8g?

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #184 of 363
How is comfort, cable noise, and the ability to 'stay-in' ears for you? Since adapting to the over-ear style of my IE80s, I can't see going back to the drop-down style of most earbuds. Also, the IE80 feels incredibly light, their stated weight being 5g. How heavy do the ZNs feel at 20.8g?

If you wear them down they're fairly heavy. It doesn't bother me much but it's noticeable. That being said you can wear them over-ear and they don't feel heavy at all that way.

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #185 of 363
I've been listening to the three button version for the past few weeks and I love them. That said my wife uses and iPhone so she's using them now and I bought a second pair with the one button mic.

From a physical standpoint I definitely prefer them. The mic/button control is significantly smaller than the three button (as you'd expect) and so is the 3.5mm jack. I can understand why the mic is smaller but no idea why the jack is smaller.

They sound the same so unless you're strictly an iPhone or iPad used then go w the one button version because its better ergonomically.

Dec 15, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #186 of 363
They sound the same so unless you're strictly an iPhone or iPad used then go w the one button version because its better ergonomically.

Dang it, now you tell me. XD

The 3-button remote seems awkwardly placed on the cable relative to the ActiveFlex ear hooks.

I still think the cable is one of the coolest-looking ones out there in terms of non-removable ones.

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #188 of 363
I am very strongly considering returning my pair of Zn. 
They sound amazing, but their comfort is horrible IMO. 

I have both the IM70 and IM02 and they both sound amazing and they fit much much better than the Zn. 

First off if you wear the Zn traditional, like drop down ear buds, the cable noise is unbearable. I just want to throw them across the room. 
okay. So wear them with the ear sports adapter, right? Well the mic side is heavier and doesn't fit/hang the same. In the gym  they kept falling from behind my ears, I kept having to adjust them. They just didn't fit well. 
Walking down the street they kept falling from behind my ear. 

I hate this because they sound amazing, but I find them far too annoying to wear to enjoy them. I would have much rather some V-moda behind the ear "traditional" IEMs. The M100 of IEMs.  

I love V-moda. I swear by the M100s (wearing them right now). Talked 3 of my friends into buying them. I bought the Zn the moment they went on sale. 

So disappointed in the fit.  I was able to pick these for 50% off, but compared to my IM70s which I was able to grab for less than $100, there is no way I could stand by the $200 MSRP. Even at $300 I think the M100 are worth every penny. 

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #190 of 363
Yeah I can relate to you on the cable microphonics. Even with the ActiveFlex hooks, the cable noise is still pretty loud for me.

I am really debating if I should just return them and put that $100 towards "headphones and stuff" piggy bank to get something else down the road. 
Two sets of well rounded IEMs are more than enough for my portable needs. If these were better than... of course I would keep them. But I am not getting that "better than" result I was expecting. 

Dec 16, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #191 of 363
  I am very strongly considering returning my pair of Zn. 
They sound amazing, but their comfort is horrible IMO. 

I have both the IM70 and IM02 and they both sound amazing and they fit much much better than the Zn. 

First off if you wear the Zn traditional, like drop down ear buds, the cable noise is unbearable. I just want to throw them across the room. 
okay. So wear them with the ear sports adapter, right? Well the mic side is heavier and doesn't fit/hang the same. In the gym  they kept falling from behind my ears, I kept having to adjust them. They just didn't fit well. 

I hate this because they sound amazing, but I find them far too annoying to wear to enjoy them. I would have much rather some V-moda behind the ear "traditional" IEMs. The M100 of IEMs.  

I love V-moda. I swear by the M100s (wearing them right now). Talked 3 of my friends into buying them. I bought the Zn the moment they went on sale. 

So disappointed in the fit.  I was able to pick these for 50% off, but compared to my IM70s which I was able to grab for less than $100, there is no way I could stand by the $200 MSRP. Even at $300 I think the M100 are worth every penny. 

Dude,as you already have both Vmoda Zn and IM70,I just want your opinion on Zn as I am familiar with the sound quality of IM70.

Is Zn a significant upgrade over IM70?    How are the highs,mids and bass of Zn compared to IM70?

Dec 16, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #193 of 363

Fashion a chin slider w/ either the included velcro (the one that wrapped the cable from the factory) or a small zip tie and use that to keep the headphones closer to your chin/neck, preventing them from sliding off.  That's what I've always had to do w/ headphones when I go to the gym...you just need them to go over the ears or the microphonics gets too annoying.

Dec 17, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #194 of 363
  Dude,as you already have both Vmoda Zn and IM70,I just want your opinion on Zn as I am familiar with the sound quality of IM70.

Is Zn a significant upgrade over IM70?    How are the highs,mids and bass of Zn compared to IM70?

sorry I am horrible at explaning what I hear. 

I just a did a little AB testing for ya. 
Right now I am siding with IM70s in everyway. (Why the ATH-IM line isnt in North America is beyond me) 

I hear better separation of channels with the  IM70. 
When I switch between them... the first thing I notice is the Zn sound so far away. I actually have never experienced this when comparing cans before IEM or over ear. I usually notice changes in bass, or soundstage. These sound so far away compared to the IM70. 
The bass may be a little tighter on the Zn, if anything it can be a touch overwhelming with with the IM70... but that is why I bought them and the IM02. One for fun one for accuracy. 
The Zn seem a touch bright to me too. 

IM70 get my vote. In fact this kinda sealed the deal for me. I am emailing Vmoda now to return my Zn. 

Tested some tracks from 
Pucifer - conditions of my Parole 
NIN - Hesitation Marks
Skrillex -Recces and Jack U

Dec 17, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #195 of 363
Just received mine delivered to me at work. The only sources I have here are my Nexus 6P and my work PC with an Asus Xonar U3 USB sound card. The Nexus 6P makes the bass way too boomy and overwhelming regardless of what earphones you use (maybe it's tuned for the crappy free earbuds most people tend to use with their phones - it sounds like a loudness button on steroids) so my impressions are based on the Xonar U3, playing 320kbps mp3s in foobar2000. 

So far I'm liking them. From memory they actually sound very similar to the ATH-IM70, but I broke my IM70 so I can't compare directly. The bass seems more restrained but still very punchy -- I listen to trance & techno so a powerful bass impact is important to me. The IM70 are fantastic in this respect, but may not be the most accurate. Overall they sound very detailed and natural. I do somewhat agree with the poster above about them sounding "far away" though; hopefully they'll open up with a bit of burn in.

They are very comfortable to wear and the drivers themselves are amazingly small. Using the little clip to fasten the cable to my shirt gives a bit of slack in the top so the cables don't pull down, meaning I am almost able to forget they are there.

Given that they were USD $180, which is SGD $255, while the IM70s are SGD $130 I would not say they were worth the upgrade based on sound alone. That said, I break IM70s at a rate of about one pair every 9-10 months. The memory wire and the physical size of the damn things pisses me off and I subconsciously fiddle with them, which stresses the connectors and eventually causes them to work loose and fail. If these Zns reliably last me two years I'll consider that a win.

The same Comply foam tips that fit the IM70 fit these by the way, so I'm pleased about that since I bought a couple of packs.

I'm busy this weekend and I'll mostly be out and about, using my Nexus 6P with bluetooth headset. If I remember, I'll bring my iBasso D-Zero to work next week and test the Zn some more with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back