V-MODA XS - V-MODA M-80s upgraded - Pictures and more! [Discussion, Questions] #FirstthreadtocoverXS
Mar 26, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #151 of 972
  They do look nice and compact compared to m100s especially for things like jogging
I wonder how the sound compares, if they're an improved m80 I guess they will be a *little* more neutral than m100?

They are definitely more neutral than the M-100. It's an M-80 where almost all of the original shortcomings; sound, comfort, ergonomics, have been remedied. I didn't have an amp on hand, but I feel like some amping would help tighten the bass some.

Mar 26, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #152 of 972

They are definitely more neutral than the M-100. It's an M-80 where almost all of the original shortcomings; sound, comfort, ergonomics, have been remedied. I didn't have an amp on hand, but I feel like some amping would help tighten the bass some.

As I mentioned in the other XS thread...the Verza definitely enhances and tightens the bass on the XS even though you lose a little bit since it doesn't clamp quite as much.

Mar 26, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #153 of 972
Ordered mine earlier today, they're currently awaiting shipment. Hopefully they'll get to the post office tomorrow and make it to my door by the 1st. I'll be traveling for most of the month and I'd love to have these with me. Nothing like breaking in a new pair of headphones. Plus I'm sure some of the people at PAX East will be interested in seeing the new model.

Mar 26, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #155 of 972
The fit is really amazing. This is the first headphone I can say that really molds and becomes a part of your head. The bass does seem tighter and better extends and mids are so smooth and detailed. The highs extend slightly more but the M-100 definitely has a little crispier treble. All in all both headphones are awesome complements to each other. And I do agree the XS is the more neutral can while the M-100 has a bigger stage and better imaging with more extended treble. The XS is no slouch in that department though; I'm still amazed that such a big sound can come from
such a small headphone. With it being able to fold it becomes that's more handy also. Overall I'm impressed.

Mar 26, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #156 of 972
The fit is really amazing. This is the first headphone I can say that really molds and becomes a part of your head. The bass does seem tighter and better extends and mids are so smooth and detailed. The highs extend slightly more but the M-100 definitely has a little crispier treble. All in all both headphones are awesome complements to each other. And I do agree the XS is the more neutral can while the M-100 has a bigger stage and better imaging with more extended treble. The XS is no slouch in that department though; I'm still amazed that such a big sound can come from
such a small headphone. With it being able to fold it becomes that's more handy also. Overall I'm impressed.

I may have missed this but are you part of the focus group too? Damn you guys are lucky! How long has your XS had it's "burn in" (or if you don't believe in it, how long have you used it)? I'm curious about your statements of treble refers to a well used XS vs M-100 or still a green XS.

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #157 of 972
I would say mine is still fresh out of the box. And yes I did receive these for review and I'm very honored. :) I've put about 5+ hours or so but I feel the pads mold more easily on the ear than the M-80 did - that is that it took less break-in time physically. Looking forward to seeing if these cans open up more and how they respond with my Verza. I will certainly add more impressions as I break them in more.

Edit: I should add that the M-100's treble extends further than the XS, definitely more sparkly, but the XS extends slightly further than the M-80. Definitely a more detailed sound overall with tighter bass, and better fit/comfort.

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #158 of 972
I would say mine is still fresh out of the box. And yes I did receive these for review and I'm very honored.
smily_headphones1.gif
I've put about 5+ hours or so but I feel the pads mold more easily on the ear than the M-80 did - that is that it took less break-in time physically. Looking forward to seeing if these cans open up more and how they respond with my Verza. I will certainly add more impressions as I break them in more.

Edit: I should add that the M-100's treble extends further than the XS, definitely more sparkly, but the XS extends slightly further than the M-80. Definitely a more detailed sound overall with tighter bass, and better fit/comfort.

That sounds very promising, can't wait for mine to arrive! Also looking forward to more impressions from the early testers.

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #159 of 972
Agreed I'm looking forward especially to how people will feel with these cans wrapped around their noggins. Really fits like a glove on mine without the hard clamping like most other supra-aurals.

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #161 of 972
Hows the isolation of the XS? I guess it is smaller in size so should be more portable, hope its got better isolation

The isolation is almost exactly the same as the m80. That isn't a knock on the headphone at all. It's very good for an on ear. Physically the driver is exactly the same size it's the headband and how it's shaped that is smaller. Unless you were talking about the m100 and in that case yes...slightly less isolation given it's on ear nature.

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #163 of 972
If anyone happens to have the M-80s and the XS I'd love to see a photograph showing both on the same model/stand. It'll give a great representation of how the new cans fit better on the head. If nobody is able before my XS arrive, I'll get a couple photos of the siblings together.

Gimme a little while and I'll take some pics w the m80s and m100s.

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #164 of 972
Gimme a little while and I'll take some pics w the m80s and m100s.

Awesome, thanks! I'd love to see just how much closer to the head the XS will be resting along the band. With it fitting like a glove, this could potentially be amazingly comfortable for some and too close for comfort to others.

Mar 27, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #165 of 972

Awesome, thanks! I'd love to see just how much closer to the head the XS will be resting along the band. With it fitting like a glove, this could potentially be amazingly comfortable for some and too close for comfort to others.

And here you go:

Side by side (XS & M80):

M80:

XS:

M100:

Cases L to R (M80, M100, XS):

Cases L to R (M80, M100, XS):

Sorry about the crummy quality.  I need to get myself a lightbox or something for pictures.  This is just with a crappy overhead ceiling fan and my trusty S100.  Hopefully these are good enough comparison shots for you guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back