V-MODA XS: A first look at the new V-MODA XS with Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Mar 28, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #91 of 394
I'll just say that I have always loved the M-80 for female vocals and it's no surprise the XS has beautiful mids and renders the tone of female vocals very nicely (especially with Ellie Goulding - on other headphones that are a bit too bright she tends to sound artificial but the XS renders her vocals very naturally). With this song the XS sounds very intimate and it sounds like Lana is serenading you.

On the M-100, it's a slightly bigger and wider experience. It's more laid-back also. The mids don't sound recessed to me but her vocals are not as upfront as on the XS. The overall experience is a spacious one with pretty good imaging.

XS = intimate, beautiful for these vocals

M-100 = laidback, more spacious and more ambience, highs have a bit more sparkle while remaining smooth and so vocals still retain a nice tone

Personally I preferred the XS with this song. Again, it all depends on what your preferences are. Both cans are pretty good all-rounders, with the XS having an upper hand being the more balanced headphone.

Edit: Think intimate club vs hall. That to me is one of the main differences between the XS vs. M-100. Both great experiences but depending on the genre and the mood you might prefer one over the other.

I would agree with this... XS and M-100 are both designed to be versatile headphones "for a variety of courses". I will post more later on the use cases and accessories we built for each headphone during development. We focused on how they'd both work for travelers and commuters, "smart" consumers every day, musicians/DJ, sports, gamers and audiophiles/modern audiophiles. 

Here is a color photo we took from the Rome Forums photo shoot that we did to celebrate the influence of the forums in the development of all our products:

(sorry typos, I don't have much time today!)

Mar 28, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #92 of 394

I wonder if Val is aware of certain connotations behind the phrase "mind the gap"...

Well I got the idea after years of research, but then it hit me in London when I was on the tube and it says "MIND THE GAP"!  That is what I've felt for so long about headphones and industrial design in general.  I am sure there are other connotations, but it is catchy and cool and it gets the point across!!!

-V
I bought the XS. Unfortunately I was hit with a $30 fee for exchange rates. Waiting on it now.

Mind the gap could also mean the gap between V-Moda and other competitors - nothing else is alike.

Mar 28, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #93 of 394
I'll just say that I have always loved the M-80 for female vocals and it's no surprise the XS has beautiful mids and renders the tone of female vocals very nicely (especially with Ellie Goulding - on other headphones that are a bit too bright she tends to sound artificial but the XS renders her vocals very naturally). With this song the XS sounds very intimate and it sounds like Lana is serenading you.

On the M-100, it's a slightly bigger and wider experience. It's more laid-back also. The mids don't sound recessed to me but her vocals are not as upfront as on the XS. The overall experience is a spacious one with pretty good imaging.

XS = intimate, beautiful for these vocals

M-100 = laidback, more spacious and more ambience, highs have a bit more sparkle while remaining smooth and so vocals still retain a nice tone

Personally I preferred the XS with this song. Again, it all depends on what your preferences are. Both cans are pretty good all-rounders, with the XS having an upper hand being the more balanced headphone.

Edit: Think intimate club vs hall. That to me is one of the main differences between the XS vs. M-100. Both great experiences but depending on the genre and the mood you might prefer one over the other.

I would agree with this... XS and M-100 are both designed to be versatile headphones "for a variety of courses". I will post more later on the use cases and accessories we built for each headphone during development. We focused on how they'd both work for travelers and commuters, "smart" consumers every day, musicians/DJ, sports, gamers and audiophiles/modern audiophiles. 

Here is a color photo we took from the Rome Forums photo shoot that we did to celebrate the influence of the forums in the development of all our products:

(sorry typos, I don't have much time today!)

Would you say the Verza improves the v-moda like ( not just the M100s)? And why?
I'm looking into getting one, but of course, the plunge is deep.
I have the M100, the LP2, the XS. I currently use a FiiO E17 amp which does the job. The verza looks so much better. I'm looking for an amp that will make my cans sound better, as well as looking good.
Thanks.

Mar 28, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #94 of 394
For me "Mind the Gap" made me think about the space between the two headphone drivers. My 'mind' occupies the musical 'gap' of the XS, kind of like plugging into the Matrix.

Mar 28, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #95 of 394
Would you say the Verza improves the v-moda like ( not just the M100s)? And why?
I have the M100, the LP2, the XS. I currently use a FiiO E17 amp which does the job. The verza looks so much better. I'm looking for an amp that will make my cans sound better, as well as looking good.
Thanks.

I thought you already got the Verza for 400?

Mar 28, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #96 of 394
Congrats Mr. V!

Any chance on a head-fi coupon code (free VIP faders, custom engraving, etc...) within the next 7 days?

I have family traveling to the US and I gave her some $$$ for a new set of cans...

Also, any comparisons to the M-80 soundwise? I already own the M-80 and I wonder if the sound has improved....

Mar 28, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #97 of 394
Custom engraving is free if you purchase direct from V-Moda. And, you'll find various comparisons posted throughout the thread (M-80/M-100 etc.) 
I am a little nervous, basshead that I am...I hope that they have not wimped out the bass to the point of weakness. I will give it my ultimate bass-thumping test (50 Cent's In Da Club and anything by Stanley Clarke, R. Kelly's Ignition Remix). I cannot stand wimpy bass...I hope that they didn't let me down, lol

Mar 28, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #98 of 394
  Custom engraving is free if you purchase direct from V-Moda. And, you'll find various comparisons posted throughout the thread (M-80/M-100 etc.) 
I am a little nervous, basshead that I am...I hope that they have not wimped out the bass to the point of weakness. I will give it my ultimate bass-thumping test (50 Cent's In Da Club and anything by Stanley Clarke, R. Kelly's Ignition Remix). I cannot stand wimpy bass...I hope that they didn't let me down, lol

You probably need to temper your expectations.  These are not bass heavy headphones.  Way more balanced than some of the more popular headphones out there.  The M100s have quite a bit more bass (quantity and quality for that matter)...so you should probably look towards them if you find the XS a little light for your needs.  It sounds like you really want a bass centric headphone.  The XS probably is not that.

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #99 of 394
Thanks. That's unfortunate for me 
frown.gif

Mar 28, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #100 of 394
Thanks.

I thought you already got the Verza for 400?

The deal went south. I have another deal, now. :basshead:

Mar 29, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #102 of 394
Where's the shadow color theme? I thought Shadow was the best selling color for M100? 

Val, care to explain? I really love that theme, I had a matte black LP2 before but didn't like the looks (too plain/boring) and white doesn't suit me.

Mar 29, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #103 of 394
I have the lp2 in black and I was disappointed with the sound but loved the build quality

I then heard a friends m100 and I was impressed just how much better they sound. I then got the m100 in white and silver with the jumbo pads and these are my goto over ears that I can just throw around and sound great.

I would seriously consider the xs but I already have the um mentors and the m100 so I am not sure I currently have room for more phones in the budget

I must congratulate Val on his dedication to tank built great looking headphones that sound fantastic and now with a more balanced sounding pair a really diverse range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back