V-MODA XS: A first look at the new V-MODA XS with Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Mar 30, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #121 of 394
Hopefully they have fixed the non existent soundstage that the M100 had. I would prefer they made a more Hifi M100 with better comfort, and Def an improved soundstage. The XS seems gimmicky to me if I'm honest but I'll have to try them.

Mar 30, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #122 of 394
To my ears, the bass response of the XS is very comparable to the M-80, perhaps a bit tighter and overall more detailed. But to me there's not much difference in quantity which I'm glad for since it doesn't take away from mids and highs yet the XS is still punchy and full-sounding down low.

Mar 30, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #123 of 394
I'll probably just give them a miss or demo them then. I liked the M80 but not enough to add them to my collection. I own the M100 I think it's ok but lacks that musical feeling. I think the V Moda SQ in general is pretty average but I understand they are more a feature packed portable more then a great musical experience. I'd love to have the best of both world's.

Mar 30, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #124 of 394

Wheredid you get them?

I ordered directly from V-moda, with the additional shields they throw in when ordering. Looks like the color section is white or matte black right now, and several options for the shield color. I used the free shipping option which happened to be USPS Priority mail. They shipped in a couple days. 

http://v-moda.com/xs/

Mar 30, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #125 of 394
Btw Val if you're around, would I guess correctly that the price $212 is also
an ode to NYC? (For anyone who doesn't know it happens to be the area code for Manhattan). Even if it wasn't done on purpose, that's still a happy accident then just because Manhattan is always full off hustle-bustle, constantly busy and people are always rushing to where they need to be, and so these cans are very fitting for those situations as an extremely small and portable road-warrior headphone. Also in NYC "the sky is the limit" and I feel V-MODA has that kind of attitude when it comes to their products.

Mar 30, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #126 of 394
The reduction in bass output is somewhat disappointing, but I have only seen the posts comparing the bass to the m100. Can someone compare the bass output to the m80? The m100 always had more bass than the m80 so there is no real surprise that these have less bass than the m100. I want to see how much less it has than the m80 they are replacing.

Thanks in advance.

It's a very very very slight reduction. I've been A-B-ing my V-80 and XS for the past couple of hours and the differences between the two is minimal, I repeat minimal, but definitely there.

Bass:
M-80/V-80 - Bit more emphasis on the mid bass, but it's also not as controlled.
XS- Bass isn't as loud, but goes deeper and seems better layered. Cleaner is a good word for it.

Mids:
M-80/V-80 mids sound just a tad quieter than the XS. XS midrange is more forward and listening to vocals and instrumentals is more pleasing than the M-80.

Treble:
Still rolled off at the upper ranges, but there is a sizzle there that the M-80s lack. Extension is fuller.

I'll have better impressions and a review when I've spent another week or two with the XS. For what it's worth, I think that if you've listened to the M-80, you've pretty much heard the XS. The XS is slightly better because I feel the sound is more neutral with more extension of both ends of the sound spectrum which make the soundstage sound just a wee bit airier and less congested, but it is not a dramatic improvement.

As for comparisons to the M-100, they are different headphones. roma101 nailed it with her impressions of Lana Del Ray.

"On the M-100, it's a slightly bigger and wider experience. It's more laid-back also. The mids don't sound recessed to me but her vocals are not as upfront as on the XS. The overall experience is a spacious one with pretty good imaging.

XS = intimate, beautiful for these vocals

M-100 = laidback, more spacious and more ambience, highs have a bit more sparkle while remaining smooth and so vocals still retain a nice tone"

Mar 30, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #128 of 394
Hey guys, still deciding between the M100 & XS and this might be a stupid question, but does anyone of you with the XS have or heard a Koss PortaPro ? If so, could you please make a comparison? Or at least compare the bass? Because a PortaPro on steroids is basically what I'm looking for. Similar comfort, portability and sound signature too I guess, just a lot better of course.

I think the XS might be the better choice for me but if the bass is weaker, I'll get the M100. Thanks! 

Mar 30, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #129 of 394
I wouldn't necessarily say the bass is different on the XS compared to the M80...it's just that the clamping force is lessened so it takes a little better positioning to get the same response. For some it's probably easier than others. Those of us with small heads have more trouble because it doesn't clamp as hard. At least that's my guess.

Mar 30, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #130 of 394
The reduction in bass output is somewhat disappointing, but I have only seen the posts comparing the bass to the m100. Can someone compare the bass output to the m80? The m100 always had more bass than the m80 so there is no real surprise that these have less bass than the m100. I want to see how much less it has than the m80 they are replacing.

Thanks in advance.

It's a very very very slight reduction. I've been A-B-ing my V-80 and XS for the past couple of hours and the differences between the two is minimal, I repeat minimal, but definitely there.

Bass:
M-80/V-80 - Bit more emphasis on the mid bass, but it's also not as controlled.
XS- Bass isn't as loud, but goes deeper and seems better layered. Cleaner is a good word for it.

Mids:
M-80/V-80 mids sound just a tad quieter than the XS. XS midrange is more forward and listening to vocals and instrumentals is more pleasing than the M-80.

Treble:
Still rolled off at the upper ranges, but there is a sizzle there that the M-80s lack. Extension is fuller.

I'll have better impressions and a review when I've spent another week or two with the XS. For what it's worth, I think that if you've listened to the M-80, you've pretty much heard the XS. The XS is slightly better because I feel the sound is more neutral with more extension of both ends of the sound spectrum which make the soundstage sound just a wee bit airier and less congested, but it is not a dramatic improvement.

As for comparisons to the M-100, they are different headphones. roma101 nailed it with her impressions of Lana Del Ray.

"On the M-100, it's a slightly bigger and wider experience. It's more laid-back also. The mids don't sound recessed to me but her vocals are not as upfront as on the XS. The overall experience is a spacious one with pretty good imaging.

XS = intimate, beautiful for these vocals

M-100 = laidback, more spacious and more ambience, highs have a bit more sparkle while remaining smooth and so vocals still retain a nice tone"

Thanks for the detailed feedback. Have you hooked the XS up to you cMoyBb yet and fired up the bass boost?

Mar 30, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #132 of 394
Hey guys, still deciding between the M100 & XS and this might be a stupid question, but does anyone of you with the XS have or heard a Koss PortaPro ? If so, could you please make a comparison? Or at least compare the bass? Because a PortaPro on steroids is basically what I'm looking for. Similar comfort, portability and sound signature too I guess, just a lot better of course.

I think the XS might be the better choice for me but if the bass is weaker, I'll get the M100. Thanks! 

I've only briefly auditioned the PortaPro but I do own the KOSS KSC75 which I think has a similar signature with a leaner, not as boomy bass. If you want crazy layered bass and sub-bass than the M-100 will be your ticket, but at least to my ears with my equipment, mid-bass impact actually hits harder with my V-80. The M-100 is capable of bass so low you just feel a slight rumbling.

Mid-bass impact in order from greatest to least:
V-80>XS>M-100

Others have reported similar impressions between the M-80 and M-100 bass.

Mar 30, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #133 of 394
Where's the shadow color theme? I thought Shadow was the best selling color for M100? 

Val, care to explain? I really love that theme, I had a matte black LP2 before but didn't like the looks (too plain/boring) and white doesn't suit me.

Looks like shadow was discontinued because it looks too much like the M-80s.

Mar 31, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #134 of 394
Btw Val if you're around, would I guess correctly that the price $212 is also
an ode to NYC? (For anyone who doesn't know it happens to be the area code for Manhattan). Even if it wasn't done on purpose, that's still a happy accident then just because Manhattan is always full off hustle-bustle, constantly busy and people are always rushing to where they need to be, and so these cans are very fitting for those situations as an extremely small and portable road-warrior headphone. Also in NYC "the sky is the limit" and I feel V-MODA has that kind of attitude when it comes to their products.

Yes, it was for two reasons, in no order: BOILING POINT - as in this product is going to be hot! MANHATTAN - I live in Milano but I love NYC too, there is energy there like no other!  Like you said, the XS is a perfect product for the streets of NYC and every day use. 

#LIMITLESS

NEW UNBOXING VIDEO
While in NYC I did an unboxing Youtube video w/UrAvgConsumer.

PS- I am going to continue to practice my video skills - I am not an actor, I'm an engineer! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back