V-MODA XS: A first look at the new V-MODA XS with Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Mar 29, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #106 of 394
  Where's the shadow color theme? I thought Shadow was the best selling color for M100? 

Val, care to explain? I really love that theme, I had a matte black LP2 before but didn't like the looks (too plain/boring) and white doesn't suit me.

Shhhh..... It's to keep the value of the M-80 high. Since they're now discontinued, having an exclusive color makes them a collectors item.

Mar 29, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #111 of 394
Yeah. The XS replaces the M-80. You can still find them for sale (and probably for huge discounts starting soon), but since the XS is basically the same exact headphone except improved in every way, there's no reason to keep making the older model. I just got my XS, too. They've been on my ears for 20-30 minutes now OOTB and besides some pressure issues I have none of the discomfort I initially felt with the V-80. They are also very secure on my head. I'll make a video soon where I compare the fit of the V-80, M-100 and XS. So far the sound is incredible.

Mar 29, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #113 of 394
I got the XS delivered today, too.  I have both the M-100 and M-80 and have been comparing the three for the afternoon.  My initial impressions are that, ignoring the ability of the XS to fold up, the XS is the M-80 but with a much better fit.  It is very hard to tell whether the difference in the sound of the two is all due to the fit, in fact.    

What is also interesting is that the sound of the XS seems to fall somewhere in-between the M-80 and M-100 as well.  The XS does not have as recessed a midrange as the M-100, but the XS is less forward than the M-80.  

The size of the XS is very small when folded.  The case of the XS is actually thinner than that of the M-80 at their respective thickest points.  

I have a feeling I will use the XS a lot more than the M-100 due to portability alone.  

Mar 29, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #114 of 394
The eagle has landed! An early birthday gift. First off the XS are gorgeous! And it feels like you're not wearing them. The packaging is equally gorgeous and befitting these babies. So, let's say that they get a 10 out of 10 on presentation. I would also have to say that they get another 10 on build...They live up to all of the hype on the build quality...Did I say that they are gorgeous? Yes, well...it bears repeating.

Now for my sound OOTB. I will give it the benefit of the doubt and inject a "Burn In" call right here. All of the elements are present. The sound stage is great (If a little treble-ly) but I heard everything that I wanted to hear except my beloved well rounded bass...As I was told that I would not. That is the only downside to the XS for me. And it is crucial. Contrary to belief, a well rounded bass is neither unbalanced nor non-audiophile-ish, lol. To the person who prefers a rich bottom, it is simply a preference. Not better nor worse. Simply different. As for the XS, it may have been unfair that I had been listening all morning to my test material via my MS-1's which are well seasoned and lush but also more upper register than lower. I knew not to compare the XS to anything bass-y. But I came away with the feeling that I need to re-visit these after burn-in has had a chance to round them out and mellow a bit. Right now, they are like a petulant teenager, they just want to party. I am thinking that I am going to give the XS a shot because I felt the same way about my MS-1's OOTB. But now after burn-in, I find that they are precisely what my classical and orchestral pieces call for...Lush!!! The trouble is, I was looking for something for my hard-driving music which is more bass intensive.

I was advised to bump up to the M-100's for more bass but, the size is a definite factor...And the XS kills for portability! I am laughing because once you put them on, you almost don't care what they sound like...These babies rock for comfort! Okay, so they had me at "hello" LOL. Still, we're going to do the burn-in thing and see how they round out because I am really longing for more bottom. Perhaps V-Moda will consent to do an XS version of the M-100...

Here is my reference tune: It's Aretha Franklin singing Leonard Bernstein's "Somewhere" with a lavish orchestration by Quincy Jones. Featuring Aretha on Piano, Phil Woods on Sax and Jimmy Johnson of the Muscle Shoals group on guitar...It's heaven!

Mar 29, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #116 of 394
After listening to these the description of being "more balanced" certainly holds true. They really sound good out of the e17/e09k combo I've got here. Sure, these don't have as much bass presence as their M-100 counterpart but the bass is clean and controlled, and really extends down there well enough. Perfect mid's, great treble extension. The M-100 has a slight upper hand on soundstage. I'm going to keep these on burn-mod for a bit. They are pretty comfortable, not quite the clamping pressure of the M-100. Cool little headphones, about as portable as it gets. I may end up taking these on the next ascent up the mountain here in a couple days, bought these in mind for the portability factor for sure.  

Mar 30, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #117 of 394
As an M80 owner I am amazed that nobody seems to notice that these have dual input connectors and channel pass-through......weird .No more left pocket only rig positioning

Mar 30, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #118 of 394
  After listening to these the description of being "more balanced" certainly holds true. They really sound good out of the e17/e09k combo I've got here. Sure, these don't have as much bass presence as their M-100 counterpart but the bass is clean and controlled, and really extends down there well enough. Perfect mid's, great treble extension. The M-100 has a slight upper hand on soundstage. I'm going to keep these on burn-mod for a bit. They are pretty comfortable, not quite the clamping pressure of the M-100. Cool little headphones, about as portable as it gets. I may end up taking these on the next ascent up the mountain here in a couple days, bought these in mind for the portability factor for sure.  

Wheredid you get them?

Mar 30, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #119 of 394
As an M80 owner I am amazed that nobody seems to notice that these have dual input connectors and channel pass-through......weird .No more left pocket only rig positioning

Noticed, yes. When I first got them, I pulled the port plug to see how it was set. Unlike the port plug on the M-100, the one on the XS is held by friction only. There is a spare should one lose it. I suspect the plug could become loose if it is removed and inserted repeatedly.

Mar 30, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #120 of 394
The reduction in bass output is somewhat disappointing, but I have only seen the posts comparing the bass to the m100. Can someone compare the bass output to the m80? The m100 always had more bass than the m80 so there is no real surprise that these have less bass than the m100. I want to see how much less it has than the m80 they are replacing.

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back