V-MODA XS: A first look at the new V-MODA XS with Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Mar 27, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #61 of 394
Yes that's how it feels and for that reason it feels a lot lighter than the M-80 and other cans since there's virtually little to no pressure on top of the head. It's definitely the most comfortable supra-aural I've owned.

This takes the cake as one of the most ridiculous things I've read on head-fi, sorry.

Mar 27, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #62 of 394
Hey guys, I'm deciding between the M100 and the XS. Could someone with both please give a listen to this song (or basically anything hardstyle) and tell me how does it sound on both? Basically if the bass is a lot better on the M100. Please do so without an amp since I'll be listening to them mostly on the go from my Galaxy S4.

I would prefer the portability of the XS and I listen to all kinds of music (Google Music All Access), from classical through electronic and rap to death metal, but mostly hardstyle so thats why I need nice deep bass. I don't want it to overshadow the rest of the spectrum though. Thanks a lot.

Sounds amazing with the XS. The bass is punchy yet it also nicely extends down low and the rest of the spectrum is balanced. Vocals sounds great and upfront without being too forward.

The M-100 has even deeper more impactful bass to my ears while highs are more extended and mids are a little more at a distance. The overall sound is bigger and more cinematic. I would say for this genre while the bass is great on both, the M-100 really shines with the amount bass and detail down low without taking from the mids and highs.

So in short the XS is more balanced with punchy bass and the M-100 has a bigger sound with a slightly heftier low end that really shines with this genre in particular. Hard to choose though as I appreciate both sound sigs. Like dbdynasty I prefer over ear a little more these days so I prefer the M-100. But the XS has impressive SQ with such a small ultra-portable footprint. It's a win-win which ever way you decide.

Mar 27, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #63 of 394
This takes the cake as one of the most ridiculous things I've read on head-fi, sorry.

Can you explain to me what I said that was so ridiculous? Perhaps it was misunderstood.

Edit: The XS uses a different headband that's lighter than the M-80. On top of this because the XS hugs the head the weight is redistributed around the head, as opposed to directly on top of the head. Another headphone that is a good example of demonstrating this is the Pioneer HDJ-2000. That headphone is a weighty headphone with an all metal construction, but because of how head-conforming the headband is and the way it was designed, it redistributes the weight all-around the head vs. right on top (which would hurt given the weight of that headphone). However because of the way the headphone was designed, it isn't painful at all an is why it's been a successful headphone for DJs. The XS feels as light as a feather in comparison. Hope you find this more clear. If not, then I hope you get to try this headphone and compare for yourself with other headphones.

Mar 27, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #64 of 394
Sounds amazing with the XS. The bass is punchy yet it also nicely extends down low and the rest of the spectrum is balanced. Vocals sounds great and upfront without being too forward.

The M-100 has even deeper more impactful bass to my ears while highs are more extended and mids are a little more at a distance. The overall sound is bigger and more cinematic. I would say for this genre while the bass is great on both, the M-100 really shines with the amount bass and detail down low without taking from the mids and highs.

So in short the XS is more balanced with punchy bass and the M-100 has a bigger sound with a slightly heftier low end that really shines with this genre in particular. Hard to choose though as I appreciate both sound sigs. Like dbdynasty I prefer over ear a little more these days so I prefer the M-100. But the XS has impressive SQ with such a small ultra-portable footprint. It's a win-win which ever way you decide.

Thanks a lot, your comparison was really helpful. Can I please ask you to try one more song for me? :)

Mar 27, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #65 of 394
Love Lana Del Rey ^^ I'll have to try it out for you later as I only brought my M-100 out with me today on the commute, but once I get home I'll try it with both the M-100 and XS and give you a comparo.

Mar 27, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #67 of 394
ugh... I've been needing some kind of "gym" headphone for cramming some DnB when I'm working out... might have to get my self a little DAP with a line out an a Fiio E 11 and give these a go

they look nice and small, are they as rugged as I hear V Moda cans are? 

I wonder though sonically how they compare to the Beyer DT 1350? They are $100 cheaper 

Mar 27, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #69 of 394
  ugh... I've been needing some kind of "gym" headphone for cramming some DnB when I'm working out... might have to get my self a little DAP with a line out an a Fiio E 11 and give these a go

they look nice and small, are they as rugged as I hear V Moda cans are? 

I wonder though sonically how they compare to the Beyer DT 1350? They are $100 cheaper 

From memory, the DT 1350 is leaner in sound, very controlled overall and very detailed. They are also more neutral and have some nice mids as well as great detail in its bass extension. While the treble has good extension there was something a little off about it, like something missing.

The XS is more fun-sounding, but with detail that competes with the 1350 and overall has more flesh and body to the sound. Decay is more natural and soundstage is a bit wider. I would say the DTs are more of an analytical tool while the XS is more for grooving to your music while still discerning the details.

Mar 27, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #70 of 394

From memory, the DT 1350 is leaner in sound, very controlled overall and very detailed. They are also more neutral and have some nice mids as well as great detail in its bass extension. While the treble has good extension there was something a little off about it, like something missing.

The XS is more fun-sounding, but with detail that competes with the 1350 and overall has more flesh and body to the sound. Decay is more natural and soundstage is a bit wider. I would say the DTs are more of an analytical tool while the XS is more for grooving to your music while still discerning the details.

I don't like on ears, so comfort is ideal.

I'd imagine the DT 1350 is the better head fun, funner is usally not "better" in terms of ultimate sound quality

BUT here's the good news. I need a Gym headphone, and a fun headphine that cost around $200 is about all tat I need that headphone to do, so chances are I may wind up with a pair of these. SEeing as they aren't as neutral as the 1350, and are a little funner they'll b better for the gym. Which while at the gym I blast exclusive Drum n Bass. SO I don't care to hear details. I just need that bass n High hat kick to keep mah heart rate up :3 [ofc I don't and ca't listen to some crappy $30 headphone due to how terrible it sounds]

so I honestly think the XS might be the happy median I need for the gym, nice price. Decent sound I'm sure ^^

Mar 27, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #71 of 394
If someone can compare this baby to the KEF M500 (sound, isolation, comfort) that would be GREATLY appreciated!

Mar 27, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #72 of 394

Soo fun without skipping out on the clarity and details?!! Now im excited!! Cant wait for them to get here (too bad i live in canada, takes forever even with usps priority)

Mar 27, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #73 of 394
On ear.  End of my interest. 

Mar 27, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #74 of 394
  On ear.  End of my interest. 

your almost as bad as me

but I need a Gym headphone, and chances are these are about as on ear as the UE 6000 was... 

Mar 27, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #75 of 394
Soo fun without skipping out on the clarity and details?!! Now im excited!! Cant wait for them to get here (too bad i live in canada, takes forever even with usps priority)

Can't be worse than Brunei :frowning2: I remember receiving my iPad2 that was left in Hotel at Swizerland. It took Brunei almost 2 months for the parcel to reach me. Checked the tracking, it stucks at "Departed from Singapore to destination" foreverrrrr like almost 2 weeks when it is supposed to be only 1 week according to schedule -_-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back