V-MODA XS: A first look at the new V-MODA XS with Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Mar 26, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #31 of 394
Part of a focus group....so yeah.  Had em for a couple weeks.  Couldn't say anything until today, the official launch.  :wink:

Lucky! I paid 40$ for faster shipping, ordered if as soon as i saw the headfi subscription email! Thank you head fi and val!

How is the isolation? Compres to the m80s? Is the treble as sparkly as the m100s? Without the scooped up mids? I recently bought the m100s i found them great when out and about. But when going to quieter places,94 dead silent places like my house or library. The bass gets too much. Which is why i went for the xs!

Plus i still find it odd taking a full size headphones around portably.

I dunno if my neck is short or something but when the m100s are around my neck i cant even look down, without my chin hitting the earpads.

Mar 26, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #32 of 394
Lucky! I paid 40$ for faster shipping, ordered if as soon as i saw the headfi subscription email! Thank you head fi and val!

How is the isolation? Compres to the m80s? Is the treble as sparkly as the m100s? Without the scooped up mids? I recently bought the m100s i found them great when out and about. But when going to quieter places,94 dead silent places like my house or library. The bass gets too much. Which is why i went for the xs!

Plus i still find it odd taking a full size headphones around portably.

I dunno if my neck is short or something but when the m100s are around my neck i cant even look down, without my chin hitting the earpads.

Isolation is about the same as the M80.  The treble sounds a lot like the M100s, but as you suspected, the Mids are a little less recessed.  I still like the M100s better overall but as an on-ear option, the XS is fantastic.

Mar 26, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #33 of 394
Isolation is about the same as the M80.  The treble sounds a lot like the M100s, but as you suspected, the Mids are a little less recessed.  I still like the M100s better overall but as an on-ear option, the XS is fantastic.

O the mids are more recessed >m80s ?
Similar to the m100s?

Nice the treble is actually my favorite part on the m100s surprisingly. If the bass was a couple db less, with less recessed but natural mids! I think we have a winner

Mar 26, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #34 of 394
I am looking forward to hearing these. I liked the bass response of the m-80 but the clamping force was too much for me on any flights over 3 hours so I had to return them. I am a bit concerned that the reduction in clamping force will reduce your sound isolation (passive noise canceling) and significantly drop the rich bass that the current m80 has.

Mar 26, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #35 of 394
I am looking forward to hearing these. I liked the bass response of the m-80 but the clamping force was too much for me on any flights over 3 hours so I had to return them. I am a bit concerned that the reduction in clamping force will reduce your sound isolation (passive noise canceling) and significantly drop the rich bass that the current m80 has.

That is kind of what I'm finding, but after they break in a bit, it just means more comfort.  Just slightly less bass quantity.

Mar 26, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #36 of 394
That is kind of what I'm finding, but after they break in a bit, it just means more comfort.  Just slightly less bass quantity.

Cant u bend the headband more to make it have more clamping force?

Just curious why is vmoda advertising the "gap" does the m80 have a large gap > m80? So its "slimmer" looking??

Mar 26, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #37 of 394
Cant u bend the headband more to make it have more clamping force?

Just curious why is vmoda advertising the "gap" does the m80 have a large gap > m80? So its "slimmer" looking??

You can't bend it MORE.  It is what it is.

And yes, the M80 sticks out further from your head than the XS.  Definitely conforms to your head more, which ultimately reduces the clamping force.  Tradeoffs either way I suppose.

Mar 26, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #39 of 394
  Thanks everybody, we are AMPED to finally launch this product!  We are very busy today now that we have launched, but I wanted to answer any questions on this thread.

<THIS SPACE RESERVED FOR FUTURE EDITS>

I just launched the website, http://V-MODA.com/XS, check it out.

And here is the quick XS video "MIND THE GAP":

Congrats on the launch, Val.  That's a good video spot - for the longtime V-Moda fans, would be really cool to see this or something quite similar on TV sometime in 2014!  I couldn't think of a brand better-suited/-poised to (finally) take a sizable bite out of the stifling general market share of Beats.  My only regret with this new design is the omission of the Shadow color scheme - hope you guys bring that out sometime soon as well.

And as far as the "Mind the Gap" & low clamping pitch, I think it's cool that the new product emphasizes out-of-the-box fit, but be sure to give that SteelFlex band its due props in your product push this time around!  Still one of the more adaptable headbands in the entire market, yet the way it was brought up previously, most people took it to be just about durability.

Mar 26, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #40 of 394
Sweet, after following the thread and checking out the vid, I ordered the matte black and gunmetal shields to match my M-100's. Glad this launched today! Can't wait to have them in hand. 
atsmile.gif

Mar 26, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #42 of 394
I really appreciate the effort that went into this and the content provided. Great information.

Thanks!  We REALLY tried to have a lot of content and information for the launch.  Videos, specs, etc...  It was a lot of work!!!  

But, we are going to also expand the FAQ and go into a lot of detail in the future.  We understand how much head-fiers and techies like myself want to "dig deeper" on information.

-V

Mar 27, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #43 of 394
God, wish I could trade in my M-80s for these. Does Amazon take 5 month returns? Anyway, I see that they replaced the suede with pleather/leather, and dayum, that matte black looks amazing.

Mar 27, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #45 of 394
I posted this in the other XS thread, but just in case one of these threads takes off and the other goes away, here it is again.  Some comparison shots with the others in the V-MODA family.

Side by side (XS & M80):

M80:

XS:

M100:

Cases L to R (M80, M100, XS):

Cases L to R (M80, M100, XS):

Sorry about the crummy quality.  I need to get myself a lightbox or something for pictures.  This is just with a crappy overhead ceiling fan and my trusty S100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back