V-MODA VAMP VERZA/METALLO: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, Crowdsourcing Ideas
Apr 14, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #544 of 1,343
???????? maybe stands for "Val's ideal way of music reproduction in his mind, maybe a pair of megabuck loudspeakers" re-imagined / repacked into the form factor of "M" series headphones
hmm mysterious, like a Dan Brown novel! Its difficult you havent given many clues.
Could the answer be Bose, Beats or, or .... Even gasp Skullcandy. The mind boggles at the possibilities.
:wink:

Apr 15, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #545 of 1,343
Quote:
hmm mysterious, like a Dan Brown novel! Its difficult you havent given many clues.
Could the answer be Bose, Beats or, or .... Even gasp Skullcandy. The mind boggles at the possibilities.
wink.gif

The statement is from Val, not myself.  I agree with him so now I am working in v-moda.  Val is very serious in products and user experiences.

I worked for Beats before, they have a different approach on products and development strategies, so I can say this statement cannot apply on Beats.  But for Bose, Skullcandy, I am not sure about their plans, their products are sitting in our laboratories, 99% time we use v-moda headphones :)  at work and after work.

Apr 15, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #546 of 1,343
Quote:
The Go-DAP X doesn't work for Android.

Thanks!  Yes, Go-dap x didn't claim the product is working for Android.  In fact, to support Galaxy S3 and Note 2 is a product design requirements from v-moda to Go-dap when we are developing verza.  Now we know that S4 and Xperia Z can also support verza.

Go-Dap and v-moda are never competitors.  We are more like Toyota and Lexus, both made in Japan.  :)

Apr 15, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #547 of 1,343
When is the Metallo case going to be available for the Note 2?

Apr 15, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #548 of 1,343
Quote:

Thanks!  Yes, Go-dap x didn't claim the product is working for Android.  In fact, to support Galaxy S3 and Note 2 is a product design requirements from v-moda to Go-dap when we are developing verza.  Now we know that S4 and Xperia Z can also support verza.

Go-Dap and v-moda are never competitors.  We are more like Toyota and Lexus, both made in Japan.  :)

I know this maybe a niche question / request, but since recently I discovered that the VERZA won't work on the Zune HD, did V-MODA tested the VERZA against Windows Phones like the Nokia Lumia 920 or some of the Cowon players like the Z2 or X9 just for the heck of it?  I have a feeling that the Z2 might work as it runs Android, but it will be nice to try something that runs other than iOS or Android too.  Another feature that I would love to see for future project is a signal pass through for the headphone remote.  I know this is not a big deal but it will be something nice to have.  My old NuForce Icon Mobile can do this and it was an interesting feature.  Maybe this can be done with an analog AMP mode with no DAC function for a more universal approach when needed.

Apr 15, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #550 of 1,343
Quote:
was there ever an official update on how the Metallo case works for iPhone 5 in terms of the sleep wake button and if there is space for the headphones on the bottom?
thanks in advance!

My Verza and iPhone 5 Metallo case arrive tomorrow; I'll check on those issues and post what I find.  UPS should be arriving on time, between spring snowstorms up here.

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #551 of 1,343
I just received the Vamp Verza and the iPhone 5 Metallo case, as well as the VentureCraft USB/Lightning cable.  

I've attached a few photos below, and can post more if anyone wants to see a particular angle, but as to the issues mentioned above:

First, with the Metallo case on the iPhone 5, I have absolutely no problem pushing the sleep/wake button at the top of the phone.  It is recessed a tiny bit with the case in place, but unless your fingers are huge, you shouldn't have a problem.

Also, the headphone jack on the phone is completely accessible with the Metallo case on.  (See the first photo below.)  No problem if you have to switch jacks from amp to phone with the case on.

Other things I noticed right away that have not been mentioned here yet:

(1)  The VentureCraft cable works fine, but the lightning connector doesn't click firmly into place with the Metallo case on the phone.  The connection works, but I can see where it might not stay seated correctly if the rig is in your pocket, etc.  To correct this, I used the 2nd rubber boot included in the package; I cut about 1/16th inch off of it and used a heat gun to shrink wrap it around the lightning connector.  There is a tiny bit of white visible when I plug it in, but it seats perfectly now.  If I really wanted to, I could buy more shrink wrap tubing and try doing that again until I get one that is the perfect length, with no white showing.  

(2)  When I first unpacked the amp, the battery charge level LEDs were both lit, indicating a full charge; however, it drained and stopped working after only a few minutes of use, and then the lights did not go on.  I'm charging it fully now.  

(3)  I also noticed that when the 2nd toggle switch (the one that toggles between iSync, Charge+Vamp and Vamp Only) was in the Vamp Only position, I was hearing music very faintly, even at full volume.  When in the Charge+Vamp mode, everything was fine--I was getting all the volume I wanted with my M-100s at 10-11 o'clock and low gain.  I wonder if the Vamp Only mode wasn't working because of the battery being low; the iPhone's battery was fully charged. I'll check this out again later when the Vamp Verza is charged up.

(4)  There is a clear protector included with the Metallo case, but it's for the BACK of the phone, not the screen.  It protects the back of the phone when sliding it onto the Versa dock; it has a cutout for the camera.

(5)  As for the sound, I've only had a few minutes of listening so far, but it's definitely an improvement over the M-100s alone with the iPhone.  The already great bass is less boomy, deeper when needed, and has a nice solid impact when the recording calls for it.  The mids are a bit more forward, and the treble has some sparkle without being overly harsh or bright.  From just a couple of brief tracks, I like it a lot so far.

(6)  Last, for now anyway, the build quality, especially the fit and finish of the amp and the case are absolutely top notch.  My headphones, amp and case are all black, and the whole rig looks very classy.  I'll be looking for some kind of pouch or small case, possibly with a belt clip, to hold everything when I'm listening while walking outdoors, etc.  It's a little big for a pants pocket.

Apr 16, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #552 of 1,343
Quote:
I just received the Vamp Verza and the iPhone 5 Metallo case, as well as the VentureCraft USB/Lightning cable.  

I've attached a few photos below, and can post more if anyone wants to see a particular angle, but as to the issues mentioned above:

First, with the Metallo case on the iPhone 5, I have absolutely no problem pushing the sleep/wake button at the top of the phone.  It is recessed a tiny bit with the case in place, but unless your fingers are huge, you shouldn't have a problem.

Also, the headphone jack on the phone is completely accessible with the Metallo case on.  (See the first photo below.)  No problem if you have to switch jacks from amp to phone with the case on.

Other things I noticed right away that have not been mentioned here yet:

(1)  The VentureCraft cable works fine, but the lightning connector doesn't click firmly into place with the Metallo case on the phone.  The connection works, but I can see where it might not stay seated correctly if the rig is in your pocket, etc.  To correct this, I used the 2nd rubber boot included in the package; I cut about 1/16th inch off of it and used a heat gun to shrink wrap it around the lightning connector.  There is a tiny bit of white visible when I plug it in, but it seats perfectly now.  If I really wanted to, I could buy more shrink wrap tubing and try doing that again until I get one that is the perfect length, with no white showing.  

(2)  When I first unpacked the amp, the battery charge level LEDs were both lit, indicating a full charge; however, it drained and stopped working after only a few minutes of use, and then the lights did not go on.  I'm charging it fully now.  

(3)  I also noticed that when the 2nd toggle switch (the one that toggles between iSync, Charge+Vamp and Vamp Only) was in the Vamp Only position, I was hearing music very faintly, even at full volume.  When in the Charge+Vamp mode, everything was fine--I was getting all the volume I wanted with my M-100s at 10-11 o'clock and low gain.  I wonder if the Vamp Only mode wasn't working because of the battery being low; the iPhone's battery was fully charged. I'll check this out again later when the Vamp Verza is charged up.

(4)  There is a clear protector included with the Metallo case, but it's for the BACK of the phone, not the screen.  It protects the back of the phone when sliding it onto the Versa dock; it has a cutout for the camera.

(5)  As for the sound, I've only had a few minutes of listening so far, but it's definitely an improvement over the M-100s alone with the iPhone.  The already great bass is less boomy, deeper when needed, and has a nice solid impact when the recording calls for it.  The mids are a bit more forward, and the treble has some sparkle without being overly harsh or bright.  From just a couple of brief tracks, I like it a lot so far.

(6)  Last, for now anyway, the build quality, especially the fit and finish of the amp and the case are absolutely top notch.  My headphones, amp and case are all black, and the whole rig looks very classy.  I'll be looking for some kind of pouch or small case, possibly with a belt clip, to hold everything when I'm listening while walking outdoors, etc.  It's a little big for a pants pocket.

Nice review, but can you show more details on the cable mod of yours?  I am thinking about doing the same when the 5S comes out this summer, and I have the same cable you got.

Apr 16, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #553 of 1,343
Yes--here's a closeup of the VentureCraft cable--the Lightning end.  The original shrink wrap went right out to the edge of the white plastic.  Just that little bit of extra thickness was preventing the cable from seating properly when the Metallo case was on the iPhone.

I trimmed a bit off of the extra shrink wrap tube that is included in the package, and installed it with a heat gun.  It works perfectly now.  I cut a bit too much, not realizing that the rubber tubing would shrink in length a bit, as well as in diameter.  I will get some tubing from the local hardware store (it appears to be 3/8" tubing before shrinking) and probably try it again to get the length right.

It may be that cutting it to fit right to the edge of the white plastic before shrinking would be perfect.  The idea would be to have the shrink wrap end right at the surface of the Metallo case so no white would be visible.

Apr 16, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #555 of 1,343
A couple of other questions I have:

How long does it take to fully charge the Verza battery?  The card says the single LED will turn green when it's fully charged, and after about 3 hours I haven't seen that happen yet.

When the iPhone is attached to the amp, and it is set to the Charge+Vamp mode, does the amp battery drain quicker and keep the iPhone fully charged?  Is it better to run it in just the Vamp Only mode, for longer amp battery life?  Or is the amp battery large enough that it won't matter?

I'm still wondering why I was getting almost no sound in the Vamp Only mode before, and perfect sound with the Charge+Vamp setting.  Hopefully it was due to the low amp battery, but why would the toggle switch setting make a difference if the battery was low?  

Has anyone else noticed this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back