V-MODA VAMP: DEVELOPMENT/REVIEWS/PICS/ETC
Jul 18, 2012 at 4:59 AM Post #436 of 710
Quote:
Cool... but be careful!

we do have spare parts in USA for repairs, but definitely we do not recommend dropping VAMP on purpose!

Ofcourse not, but his medication made him shake, so it happened.

Jul 18, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #438 of 710
Where is the UPS man with my vampppp ! 
Lol im getting antsy!
Good to know its not super fragile. 

I have been kind of telling people about this & everyone is saying the same thing " OMG IT EXISTS ? "

Edit: Also I have just broken up with my velcro / dual lock tape ! no more lugging cords / multiple devices around. 

Jul 18, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #440 of 710
Just got it ... will not dock with my iphone, giving it some time to charge by it self then will try to dock again & do a series of resets with phone / dock. 

Hoping for the best!

EDIT: Doesn't seem to charge & connect with iphone @ the same time. 
Working without charging

EDIT#2: Dude where is my Bass ???? Tried both red & green settings... 
I have Ultrasone 900 Pros and this sounds like I removed 80% of my bass ... maybe charge issue,
ill give it a few hours on charge before I try again. They usually rumble at the songs I play and bass 
hits like a truck.
EQu is bad with this, so if you have uncompressed wav files, get ready to xfer them to flac. 
I really hope that the power this thing puts out is based on the battery level, it just died on me mid 2nd
song. 

Jul 18, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #442 of 710
Okay so charged it up a little bit maybe an hour through wall charger & gave it a whirl. 

Before I go on to post my impressions of the V-Moda VAMP let me explain the kind of music I like... because well its important. 

I started out listening to this music around 14 - 15 years ago, Dance, Hardstyle, Trance, Electronic, D&B & most recently Dubstep ... sometimes I am in the mood for a more of a melodic or vocal trance & I listen to that. 

Reason why I love this style of music is because of the bass in it, everything is just noise, but when you feel that punch of bass or magnificent rumble of sub bass I start to feel like the music is somehow piercing the veil between sound & it physically manifests itself around you, the bass & sub base make it a real living thing, which envelops you and lets you feel the sound on a completely new level. 

I had such such such high hopes & wishes for this dac/amp, and please do not get me wrong, it is simply amazing... but not for everyone. 

Let me cut this short so I do not go into to a giant bible like post. 

If you love melodic music, vocals & do not care much for the best possible bass you can get: This is PERFECT for you. 

If you are a basshead, if you love sub bass & that is your priority when it comes to music: This is NOT something you want at all. 

It does an amazing, superb job of cleaning up highs / mids but in order to do that it seems like it needs to sacrifice sub bass ...
to the point where my Ultrasone Pro 900s did not produce any sub bass at all, instead the sub bass would overlap with mids instead of rattling my skull & giving me an ear massage like it usually does.

I spent a long time trying out various different little things I could do with my EQs and trying different apps but it was a no go ... I could not reproduce the sound that I will get with my Fiio E11 ... which I find very weird considering the Vamp is 10 times its price, I was hoping that for that price tag the same thing could be applied to the Vamp but I guess they went into a different direction or it was just not possible :frowning2: 

While I can reproduce the kick of the bass ... possibly even better then with E11 but only through Flac Player I am unable to reproduce the headphone shaking sub bass... 

Overall, I was really really looking forward to having this as my all-in-one portable solution, but I do not wear giant chrome rim looking headphones outside just so I can listen to music like I have IEMs in... 

Maybe Val or some other people who have it can elaborate on this, maybe I received a defective unit ? Maybe something is wrong ? Please ? I am tired of carrying cables & multiple devices! Lol 

Jul 19, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #443 of 710
Quote:

I really don't think you thought this through, at all. Purchasing the VAMP I mean. why would they release a $600 glorified bass boost? 

If you want bass boost, Digizoid Z02.

This is for audiophiles, where quality and neutrality and musicality are the core goals, not enhancing bass quantity, I can't figure out why they would DROP the bass quantity from the Pro 900, it smells fishy to me. Those headphones are renowned bass cannons. 

Back to the point, if you wanted more bass, and I am not trying to be a prick here, but you should have done your homework better...

Jul 19, 2012 at 6:44 AM Post #444 of 710
Quote:
I really don't think you thought this through, at all. Purchasing the VAMP I mean. why would they release a $600 glorified bass boost? 

If you want bass boost, Digizoid Z02.

This is for audiophiles, where quality and neutrality and musicality are the core goals, not enhancing bass quantity, I can't figure out why they would DROP the bass quantity from the Pro 900, it smells fishy to me. Those headphones are renowned bass cannons. 

Back to the point, if you wanted more bass, and I am not trying to be a prick here, but you should have done your homework better...

Did not imagine that someone would get so defensive but okay I guess ... I did try to be as nice as possible about it & dress up its pluses heh. 
You do understand that my disappointment does not come from lack of research... right? I didn't just find this in Best Buy & go oh snap, I have to have this ... I wanted the best possible reproduction of music, the way it was written & designed to be heard with every single frequency & sound. 

I was buying a tool for a more accurate reproduction of the music I listen to ( to clarify: it is suppose to do what the iphone already does, but better ) ... that music includes bass & sub bass, if a key element of the music is not being reproduced the quality of the music is gone & if neutrality means the removal of that element then I have been under the wrong impression this whole time of what it means to be an audiophile. How can you appreciate something that an artist has put so much time into when you completely ignore a portion of their creation ? Are you saying this is what it is suppose to do ? 
I would honestly settle for the original quality when it comes to sub bass & that is completely stripped away, even compared to the 3.5 mm output of iphone, the iphone has more of it on flat eq / stock player. 
I can not figure out why they would drop the quantity also ... maybe it is the Slogic + vamp issue ? I have no idea, I was just relaying what was happening + looking for help/answers. I even called VMODA lol ... 
The point is even if the VAMP does flatten out that specific sound, why would it effect my headphones in such a way? It neuters them. 

This is a direct quote from the description: 
[size=small]"VQ mode (green light) adds a slight spatial 3D soundstage, tightened bass and increased treble attack that invigorates an all around sensory experience"[/size]
It does not do this, when switching to green/VQ all the bass is gone, it literally sounds like I am listening to KS4 while having giant tuna cans on my head. 

It really feels like it can not push out the juice for my headphones, the volume itself ... I plug my cans directly into my S3 listen to the same track & get the same thing as with the VAMP just less clarity, the very same feeling like it is trying to push enough juice out but it just cant ... 

Just fyi
ZO2 distorts like crazy @ high gain, it is literally impossible to hear any low freq. At med gain it muffles everything else. (own it)
E17 sounds very much like this & can reproduce the same sound quality + higher volume output. (own it) ( love it use it at work )
/over usb dac it can compete with this easily SQ wise. 
E11 has less options then 17 but can generate more of a bass boost with higher volume output then 17. (own it) 
Xonar Essence STX miles ahead of everything but E11 + lod + touch/phone that and only that comes very very close behind it. 
Most of my files are .wav uncompressed rest are flac. 

As far as me doing my homework, you suggest the ZO2, see above it is a well known bad combo with Pro 900s among other issues so please do not suggest amps when you only read the tag lines of a product & also there is no need to be rude ... there isn't a single post in this thread or any other with the combination of VAMP + 900 pros or anything close to what I have written, on paper this is supposed to be perfect for what I want, so really ... this is homework for someone else who has similar sound interests, I have done as much as I could without spending 10+ hours and if in fact I do have a defective product I will update the thread.

Jul 19, 2012 at 6:58 AM Post #445 of 710
Quote:

I do apologise for coming off rude, unfortunately i can be a bit mean with newbies, you clearly HAVE done your homework, so I will retract my previous statement.

I do have the STX myself, so thats a good reference point, although the stock opamps do inflate the subbass and bloat the bass overall. 

I really do find it strange that the subbass is stripped away, we need someone else in here to check that same setup aswell. because with my denons, it was definitely there, in ample quantity and well textured. 

Are you 100% sure there is no EQ or effects messing with things in your phone? It would be helpful if you downloaded some test tone tracks to see how where the cutoff is. 

Jul 19, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #447 of 710
Quote:
I wonder if v-moda are thinking about bringing their own music player out next time around?

Really doubt it, too much Software to do properly or have it flop in your face. leaving UI stuff to companies like apple and other apps on those platforms is definitely the way to go, since then people can use what UI they want. 

And I am a UI developer among other things. So I know what I am talking about

Jul 19, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #448 of 710
Quote:
Really doubt it, too much Software to do properly or have it flop in your face. leaving UI stuff to companies like apple and other apps on those platforms is definitely the way to go, since then people can use what UI they want. 

And I am a UI developer among other things. So I know what I am talking about

If it was me and i brought the vamp out and the iphone 5 is a bit bigger and won't fit in the case, i would just do my own music player..Even if v-moda brought something out to go with their earbuds for the gym,it would put them in peoples homes like apple and sanza!

Jul 19, 2012 at 7:43 AM Post #449 of 710
Quote:
If it was me and i brought the vamp out and the iphone 5 is a bigger and won't fit in the case, i would just do my own music player..Even if v-moda brought something out to go with their earbuds for the gym,it would put them in peoples homes like apple and sanza!

You greatly underestimate the amount of work and money that goes into making a PMP, especially a really good one, with an advanced UI. 
I really do not support this idea, the VAMP X (as I am going to call it) based on the Go-Dap X, which I am fairly sure they are going to make, considering all the bits I have gathered, is form-factorless  which will allow it to work with any phone, and the iPhone 4 won't just go away when the iPhone 5 is released, so there will still be a market for the original vamp (and if anything it could get even bigger with iPhone 4/4S prices dropping) 

I do still insist that they make aftermarket covers that encapsulate the VAMP X and the and the phone (iPhone 5, SGS3, HTC One X) that way one VAMP attaches snugly to a multitude of devices, and has much better longevity, and still provides the same sleek look that the current VAMP does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back