V-MODA VAMP: DEVELOPMENT/REVIEWS/PICS/ETC
Jun 30, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #391 of 710
awesome pic!!!  That is going on our wall...

Jul 9, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #394 of 710
Read this so-called review of Vamp...

http://www.jamesbom.com/music-freak-collection-vmoda-vamp-iphone-44s.html#comment-25975

At the end, it says 

"Although the pricing is not yet known, but imagine a situation, if this device is using with the beats by Dr. Dre, I believe that the world is yours with your ears."

I can't stop laughing at " using with the beats by Dr. Dre "????

What????  They don't even know what V-moda is, right???

Jul 9, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #395 of 710
Quote:
Read this so-called review of Vamp...

http://www.jamesbom.com/music-freak-collection-vmoda-vamp-iphone-44s.html#comment-25975

At the end, it says 

"Although the pricing is not yet known, but imagine a situation, if this device is using with the beats by Dr. Dre, I believe that the world is yours with your ears."

I can't stop laughing at " using with the beats by Dr. Dre "????

What????  They don't even know what V-moda is, right???

I read that too... quite interesting!

PS here is a clipping from today's newspapers.  VAMP was featured in over 20 newspapers today!

Jul 9, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #396 of 710
Happy for you Val!

Sad thing is ppl always focus on the price...

To me, I consider high quality audio product as a kind of investment,
to enjoy the "Fuller" experience of sound and music.
Here in HK, the price is quite acceptable, around USD$525.

A decent AMP costs ~ USD$150+
A decent DAC costs ~ USD$150+
A decent Portable Mobile Phone Charger ~ USD$100+
including all labour cost and R&D investment, also ads.
So Packing them in one compact product is somehow priceless.

I think the price tag is very OK.
Love V-moda coz of its different style and dedicated effort.
(personally, I own both V-moda M80 and LP2 :
dt880smile.png
  )

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #397 of 710
Quote:
A decent AMP costs ~ USD$150+
A decent DAC costs ~ USD$150+

I agree that one can buy a decent portable amp for $150, but a decent DAC costs ~$150+? I don't know what kind of DAC you're talking about, but for a fair comparison with VAMP's DAC, I dare to you give a name of a DAC which is not only portable but also compatible with iDevices at that price range... no, even higher at $300~400. Because if you understand why I'm asking you this, you'll realize that the price tag of VAMP is not merely "OK" for what it's worth...

Jul 9, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #399 of 710
I understood what you guys want to point out,

Personally, I got both Alo Solo and Fostex HP-P1. They are magnificent.

For DAC, I merely takes "USB DAC" as a reference.
But I do know that to be compatible with iDevice, you need to pay for the License stuff, which is not cheap at all.

Actually, I say OK just to be modest........Don't want to sound like a sales person....

One funny thing is, I don't really dig the idea about using my DAC/AMP to Charge my iPhone / iPod,
coz
1. the battery will get degrade much faster
2. the battery capacity is too small comparing with normal portable charger (e.g. 3000+mAH)

Whatsoever, I love to see indie company grows and thrives.

Jul 9, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #400 of 710
Quote:
I understood what you guys want to point out,

Whatsoever, I love to see indie company grows and thrives.

Thanks, love the "indie" moniker, its true!

Quote:
Happy for you Val!

Sad thing is ppl always focus on the price...

including all labour cost and R&D investment, also ads.
So Packing them in one compact product is somehow priceless.

I think the price tag is very OK.
Love V-moda coz of its different style and dedicated effort.
(personally, I own both V-moda M80 and LP2 :
dt880smile.png
  )

Exactly, we actually predict we'll lose money on the VAMP project.  It is why it is so fun, no other company would do something like this AND make it in Japan. The R&D, labor, travels, photos, ads/etc add up.  Plus $50 goes to our non-profit foundation, InTheLoop.  

Remember, we are embarking on this project for the long term.  

I'll try to create a trade-in program too, brainstorming....  

Over 2 years, VAMP is $0.89 a day.  A small price to pay for amazing audio and a cool gadget to be different than your friends.  IT'S LESS THAN STARBUCKS!

Jul 9, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #401 of 710
V-Moda should send me one of these for trial to compare to the Dx100 option I just got. Then when I write my in depth review they can justify the "write off" in extra sales, becasue Im guessing functionality wise it stomps all over the Dx100. That software is horrid.

Jul 9, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #402 of 710
Quote:
V-Moda should send me one of these for trial to compare to the Dx100 option I just got. Then when I write my in depth review they can justify the "write off" in extra sales, becasue Im guessing functionality wise it stomps all over the Dx100. That software is horrid.

Nice try. :p

Jul 9, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #403 of 710
Thanks, love the "indie" moniker, its true!

Exactly, we actually predict we'll lose money on the VAMP project.  It is why it is so fun, no other company would do something like this AND make it in Japan. The R&D, labor, travels, photos, ads/etc add up.  Plus $50 goes to our non-profit foundation, InTheLoop.  

Remember, we are embarking on this project for the long term.  

I'll try to create a trade-in program too, brainstorming....  

Over 2 years, VAMP is $0.89 a day.  A small price to pay for amazing audio and a cool gadget to be different than your friends.  IT'S LESS THAN STARBUCKS!

OMG a trade-in program YES! I'd send in all my IEMs and $300 for a freakin' vamp...

Kojaku

Jul 10, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #404 of 710
xlarge.jpg

lightning reviewaudiospeakersheadphonesiphonev-moda vampphonesgadgetsreviews
Jul 9, 2012 4:20 PM
rightbar.flame.png
rightbar.comment.png
Share Share this post ×
  1. Facebook
  2. Twitter
  3. LinkedIn
  4. Tumblr
  5. Instapaper
  6. Email this post

Tweet

For the Latest iPhone News

Like Everything iPhone

Stumbleupon

Follow @Gizmodo
Please enter your email address.
Please enter a valid email address.
Please check your inbox for a confirmation email.
An error occured, please try again later.

progressIndicator_roller.gif

V-Moda Vamp Lightning Review: Glorious Overkill for iPhone Audio

2866664_32.jpg
Mario Aguilar
  1. View Profile
  2. Email
  3. Twitter
  4. Google Plus
  5. RSS

"Do you really like music, man? Then why are you listening on your iPhone? You're not even listening to music—you're listening to static." Sound like you? The V-Moda Vamp is the iPhone accessory you've been waiting for. {C}

What Is It?

A $650 iPhone case with a built-in digital-to-analog converter and a 150mW x2 headphone amp.

Who's it For?

The guy who absolutely, positively must have an exceptionally accurate and full-bodied listening experience on an iPhone.

Design

The Vamp has a brushed metal back, a satisfying volume knob, and enough bulk to double the size of your iPhone.

Using It

It pulls sound in through a 30-pin connector, pumps it out a dedicated headphone jack, and charges the phone in the process.

The Best Part

The Vamp truly improves music—low-end is beefier, and overall tones are richer and more detailed.

Tragic Flaw

The Vamp won't play music while plugged in. And yet it needs to recharge so often! It's incredibly frustrating.

This Is Weird...

If Apple changes the dock connector or the overall size when the iPhone 5 appears, the Vamp could be stuck using an outdated 4 or 4S as if it's a giant iPod.

Test Notes

Tested over about a month using studio-quality headphones and high-resolution music files in a variety of genres.
Getting your iPhone in an out of the case is tough, and it feels like you'd eventually damage the 30-pin connector.
This thing is way too bulky and awkward to use every day. It doubles the thickness and weight of the phone.
The Vamp's battery is supposed to play 6-8 hours. It lasted for 2-3 hours, max.
A power switch on the top of the case also selects between two equalization modes, Pure Audio and VQ Audio.

Should You Buy It?

Not unless you're kinda crazy about audio. The Vamp is simultaneously awesome and silly. The concept is fantastic, and the audio quality is excellent. Plus, whether you're listening to uncompressed, lossless FLAC files—or even today's iTunes standard of 256 kbps AAC—a device like Vamp can make a big difference over the right pair of headphones.
But at $650, the Japanese gadget is outrageously expensive. Its bulk also makes the phone nearly too big for a pocket. And, most important—a new, potentially incompatible iPhone could be released in the next six months.

Jul 10, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #405 of 710
xlarge.jpg

[COLOR=0066CC]lightning review[/COLOR][COLOR=0066CC]audio[/COLOR][COLOR=0066CC]speakers[/COLOR][COLOR=0066CC]headphones[/COLOR][COLOR=0066CC]iphone[/COLOR][COLOR=0066CC]v-moda vamp[/COLOR][COLOR=0066CC]phones[/COLOR][COLOR=0066CC]gadgets[/COLOR][COLOR=0066CC]reviews[/COLOR]

Jul 9, 2012 4:20 PM
rightbar.flame.png
rightbar.comment.png

Share this post ×

[COLOR=0066CC]Tweet[/COLOR]

For the Latest iPhone News

Like Everything iPhone

Stumbleupon

Follow @Gizmodo

Please enter your email address.
Please enter a valid email address.
Please check your inbox for a confirmation email.
An error occured, please try again later.

progressIndicator_roller.gif

V-Moda Vamp Lightning Review: Glorious Overkill for iPhone Audio

2866664_32.jpg

Mario Aguilar

[COLOR=0066CC]
[/COLOR]
"Do you really like music, man? Then why are you listening on your iPhone? You're not even listening to music—you're listening to static." Sound like you? The V-Moda Vamp is the iPhone accessory you've been waiting for. {C}

What Is It?

A $650 iPhone case with a built-in digital-to-analog converter and a 150mW x2 headphone amp.

Who's it For?

The guy who absolutely, positively must have an exceptionally accurate and full-bodied listening experience on an iPhone.

Design

The Vamp has a brushed metal back, a satisfying volume knob, and enough bulk to double the size of your iPhone.

Using It

It pulls sound in through a 30-pin connector, pumps it out a dedicated headphone jack, and charges the phone in the process.

The Best Part

The Vamp truly improves music—low-end is beefier, and overall tones are richer and more detailed.

Tragic Flaw

The Vamp won't play music while plugged in. And yet it needs to recharge so often! It's incredibly frustrating.

This Is Weird...

If Apple changes the dock connector or the overall size when the iPhone 5 appears, the Vamp could be stuck using an outdated 4 or 4S as if it's a giant iPod.

Test Notes

Tested over about a month using studio-quality headphones and high-resolution music files in a variety of genres.
Getting your iPhone in an out of the case is tough, and it feels like you'd eventually damage the 30-pin connector.
This thing is way too bulky and awkward to use every day. It doubles the thickness and weight of the phone.
The Vamp's battery is supposed to play 6-8 hours. It lasted for 2-3 hours, max.
A power switch on the top of the case also selects between two equalization modes, Pure Audio and VQ Audio.

Should You Buy It?

Not unless you're kinda crazy about audio. The Vamp is simultaneously awesome and silly. The concept is fantastic, and the audio quality is excellent. Plus, whether you're listening to uncompressed, lossless FLAC files—or even today's iTunes standard of 256 kbps AAC—a device like Vamp can make a big difference over the right pair of headphones.
But at $650, the Japanese gadget is outrageously expensive. Its bulk also makes the phone nearly too big for a pocket. And, most important—a new, potentially incompatible iPhone could be released in the next six months.

Dude, you need to chill with pasting in these full length reviews on the thread, man...Just link us...

Kojaku

Users who are viewing this thread

Back