V-MODA VAMP: DEVELOPMENT/REVIEWS/PICS/ETC
Mar 29, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #17 of 710
Its great to have a manufacturer that actually Listens to customers. I have spent alot of time searching for budget amps (around 100) and some of the best were the FiiO E7 and the iBasso D-Zero, and what i recomend is that you make the VAMP similar (and better of course, your V-Moda) but what i find important after sound is profile and extra features. Keep it slim to around 10mm and have it include a minor EQ like the FiiO, a screen is nice but not necessary.

Mar 29, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #18 of 710

Quote:
Its great to have a manufacturer that actually Listens to customers. I have spent alot of time searching for budget amps (around 100) and some of the best were the FiiO E7 and the iBasso D-Zero, and what i recomend is that you make the VAMP similar (and better of course, your V-Moda) but what i find important after sound is profile and extra features. Keep it slim to around 10mm and have it include a minor EQ like the FiiO, a screen is nice but not necessary.

I think your budget amp dreams will once again be dashed. This is from the M-100 thread:

Originally Posted by valkolton /img/forum/go_quote.gif

We calculate MSRP based on our BOM price (bill of materials).  In fact, I don't know M-100's final MSRP until it finishes final validation and we lock it down.  It'll definitely be less than or equal to $300.

The VAMP/DAC is also based on BOM and will be ~$600, yet it's well worth it to think different.

Mar 29, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #19 of 710
Seems like a weird product for them to design then at that price. None of V-Moda's headphones are particularly "high fi", at least by Head-Fi standards, so a $600 amp/dac would be really out of place in their lineup.

Quote:
I think your budget amp dreams will once again be dashed. This is from the M-100 thread:

Originally Posted by valkolton /img/forum/go_quote.gif

We calculate MSRP based on our BOM price (bill of materials).  In fact, I don't know M-100's final MSRP until it finishes final validation and we lock it down.  It'll definitely be less than or equal to $300.

The VAMP/DAC is also based on BOM and will be ~$600, yet it's well worth it to think different.

Mar 29, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #21 of 710
Mar 29, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #24 of 710
Maybe the VAMP is an amp AND an iPhone/iPod Touch. They will be fused together as a single unit. Someone asked about a V-Moda PMP, so why not? You control the VAMP via the already ubiquitous Retina display we all know and love/hate. That's the only way the cost makes any sense to me. He did say think outside the box, right?

Mar 30, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #25 of 710
Quote:
Will there be any VAMP products compatible with other devices such as computers. Seems strange to me to focus on a specific platform.

If they include USB Audio class, it could be compatible with alot of things, but have received no confirmation.

Mar 30, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #28 of 710

Quote:
And literally the only reason why I chose an iPhone over Android was to use with an amp.
Didn't have much choice in that respect :<

Isn't really much choice in any respect...one definite bonus to having all iPhone models being the same form factor is that they can actually make one amp that'll fit them all.  It's unfortunately impossible to make such a sleek device with android phones, unless they wanted to make a model for every single popular phone model out there, and there are quite a few...

Mar 30, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #29 of 710

Quote:

Isn't really much choice in any respect...one definite bonus to having all iPhone models being the same form factor is that they can actually make one amp that'll fit them all.  It's unfortunately impossible to make such a sleek device with android phones, unless they wanted to make a model for every single popular phone model out there, and there are quite a few...

Yeah that is definitely true.  But Val said they plan on being phone neutral so perhaps they have a sort of a plan for the android models.  
I am also curious whether the vamp would be able to plug into a computer as well.

Mar 30, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #30 of 710
Well, as an iPhone user, I'm quite intrigued.

Few questions:

1) Will it include any EQ option to play around with the output? (bass boost, mid boost, treble boost, etc...)
2) Being geared toward iPhone means it'll include a LOD of its own, right? Or do I have to purchase a separate LOD cable to go with VAMP?
3) Is the OpAmp rollable like on the CMoy, or is it a fixed OpAmp?
4) Will there be buttons to control music on the iPhone like a remote?
5) Will it support passing remote + mic signal from headphones that include remote + mic?

Those are key points that I would love to see in another amp for iPhone, especially points 4 and 5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back