V-MODA Unveils M-200 ANC, Its First Bluetooth Active Noise Cancelling Headphone
Jan 13, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #61 of 137
Heya, there is one microphone for communication and then four separate microphones that handle ANC. Apologies, I thought you were asking about microphones for communication.

This is HUGE. Thanks for that clarification. Back on the super excited train :)

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #62 of 137
Heya, there is one microphone for communication and then four separate microphones that handle ANC. Apologies, I thought you were asking about microphones for communication.

Updated FAQ with this.

And just like that I retract my entire “not super promising” comment :)

Jan 13, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #63 of 137
Reply updated, one Q added to the FAQs. Thanks for your patience! :D

Updated FAQ with this.

Andrew, thanks so much for the clarification. I imagine that had to be checked with a couple different people on your end before a statement could be made and I definitely appreciate you working to get that answer for us!

That does give me a huge confidence boost! I was really hoping that was just a generic marketing drawing, and am so glad that's the case.

I have been checking pretty much monthly for around two years hoping for leaks or info about your next bluetooth headphones as the successor for the Crossfade 2 Codex, so to say I've been eagerly awaiting info is rather an understatement, so apologies for jumping the gun with speculation.

Attached is a photo of my Codex which I've been keeping alive on life support over the last two years as it gradually degraded. It would be fair to say it's a driving factor in in my eagerness. 😅

Attachments

• PXL_20210114_000321416.jpg
    PXL_20210114_000321416.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Jan 13, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #64 of 137
Andrew, thanks so much for the clarification. I imagine that had to be checked with a couple different people on your end before a statement could be made and I definitely appreciate you working to get that answer for us!

That does give me a huge confidence boost! I was really hoping that was just a generic marketing drawing, and am so glad that's the case.

I have been checking pretty much monthly for around two years hoping for leaks or info about your next bluetooth headphones as the successor for the Crossfade 2 Codex, so to say I've been eagerly awaiting info is rather an understatement, so apologies for jumping the gun with speculation.

Attached is a photo of my Codex which I've been keeping alive on life support over the last two years as it gradually degraded. It would be fair to say it's a driving factor in in my eagerness. 😅

Those have definitely seen some wear and tear! We love your passion for our bluetooth headphones and we really think you'll enjoy the M-200 ANCs when you get your hands on them. Especially with all the new features we have built in to them and the mobile app to support further tuning for your personal audio preferences. :)

Jan 14, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #65 of 137

PXL_20210114_000321416.jpg
Good lord! Those headphones look like they got run over by a truck! :laughing:

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #67 of 137
They're still working though! We build our headphones to last. :)
Indeed! Build quality is truly impressive. Despite the ear cups not attaching and a few other difficulties, they still sound pretty well too!

I use them as my computer headphones to keep the stress on them as low as possible and am getting by, but am obviously eager to upgrade! 🍻😀

Jan 15, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #69 of 137
I was an original purchaser of the M-100 (VTF-100 at the time) and have really enjoyed them with the XL ear pads, although their age is starting to really show. I just sent back a pair of Sony XM4s because their small cups hurt my ears and they were a bit tight clamping pressure wise. Can't wait to hear some impressions on how these compare to Bose/Sony ANC and their comfort. With any luck these can be the do it all headphone I was hoping the Sonys would be. Really would love wireless cans I can rock out to some music while mowing, come inside to play a game or two, and then hop on a work Teams call.

Jan 15, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #70 of 137
I was an original purchaser of the M-100 (VTF-100 at the time) and have really enjoyed them with the XL ear pads, although their age is starting to really show. I just sent back a pair of Sony XM4s because their small cups hurt my ears and they were a bit tight clamping pressure wise. Can't wait to hear some impressions on how these compare to Bose/Sony ANC and their comfort. With any luck these can be the do it all headphone I was hoping the Sonys would be. Really would love wireless cans I can rock out to some music while mowing, come inside to play a game or two, and then hop on a work Teams call.

I really hated the way the OG M-100 sounded with the XL pads, it made the sound overly dark for my tastes.

Jan 15, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #71 of 137
I really hated the way the OG M-100 sounded with the XL pads, it made the sound overly dark for my tastes.
I can understand that - for me it was easy enough to EQ out at first, they still had the fantastic bass punch etc..., and were infinitely more wearable with my big ears (which may have also mitigated the issue). After a while I think I just got used to it and stopped worry about compensating for the change in tone from the pads.

Jan 15, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #72 of 137
We hope you like them! They are a first for us, so, if you pick them up on the V-MODA store we would appreciate it if you would leave us a review on there with feedback if you find the time. :)

Definitely will. It'll be my... fourth pair? M100 wired, then every Crossfade wireless so far lol.

My main hope is that the channel imbalance issue settles. I haven't been able to use my CF2W for a while because of it. Least I can still use my customized shields!

Jan 17, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #73 of 137
Never thought I'd see the day Vmoda made an anc headphone. I remember Val being anti anc. I still have my crossfade 2 codex and crossfade wireless. Sad to see the immortal life program is now just 20%. I'll just hold on to what I have until a sale happens some time down the line. Love the signature sound of Vmoda. Regarding the price, remember when Sennheiser came out with the momentum wireless 2 they were 500 as well.

Jan 18, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #75 of 137
I'm split on these... having owned every model in the line started with the M-100, still owning and using the Codex (despite also owning the APM...), I was quite disappointed with the M-200: the tuning was most definitely not to my liking, and the comfort was even worse than the M-100. Switching the Codex to the XL pads just recently gives me a much more comfortable experience, with a much more likable sound signature.

No specific reason for that, but I always liked 50mm drivers (I know, arguments for and against larger/smaller drivers etc.). Interesting to see the new model switch to 40mm drivers after all its predecessors including the M-200 using 50mm. If this does go with a new tuning (and I'm not only talking about missing low bass, but also about midrange and treble, both of which I disliked on the M-200), I might try this out at some point in time. I'm not going preorder them anymore though, the M-200 was just too much of a disappointment for me personally.

What I really don't understand is the naming scheme though: M-200 sports a radically different sound signature from M-100 and its brethre, so maybe opening a new line (new letter) would have been appropriate. But ok... Yet now a new model with another tuning and even a new driver shares the M-200 name -- what is this supposed to mean? If the tuning is a descendent of the M-100 Master and Codex, M-200 would seem appropriate (with suffix, that might be OK). But given the existing M-200 -- that doesn't make any sense to me.

On the positive side, I like how they evolved the M-100 design with the M-200. Looks really good, and I appreciate the new model coming with a different color scheme. The keys look good as well, and I'd hope they are not as squishy as on the Codex (really bad, almost no feedback and sometimes not working, getting worse over time).

Personally I don't care about ANC, not even on the APM despite it really works well there with still very good sound quality. Much prefer passive isolation -- which brings me back to the too shallow pads on the M-200. Since these seem to not have changed in any way on the new model, I'd expect the same problems with comfort for me. Would be nice to have an XL variant available as an option at least -- plus I did appreciate the subtle changes to the tuning with the Codex when applying those XL pads).

Seeing the immortal life program scaled back to a measly 20% makes me sad somehow. Not because it was such a good deal for me, living in EU ate those 50% up quickly (import fees, shipping costs), but its one of those unique things about V-Moda going away. Just like the unique sound signature with a good focus on the fun side of things, robust exoskeleton case (sorry, the new one is just... a shadow it the old one. Much cheaper to produce though I'm sure...). The new design on itself looks quite nice, but in the grand scheme of things its just another brick in the wall so to say... moving away from Vals ideas. Which may be consistent with Val leaving the company, but still this story was my personal reason to actively follow V-Moda (and purchase so many of their models). This was simply lost for me... now I'll evaluate each model just as every other model. Which is not a bad thing at all, its going to save me quite some money after all.

Talking about prices: although there is a V-Moda EU webstore quitting prices in €, items still ship from US, with import fees, delays and shipping costs adding up. Not ordering the M-200 ANC saves me about 680€ -- way more than the APM costs (which is more expensive in EU as well), and I have to admit I'd be surprised if the M-200 ANC would best it in audio quality (not speaking of other features that are harder to achieve like plattform integration).

Sorry for this post being more on the negative side. I see V-Moda as a brand moving away from what I associated with that name, which obviously I don't like that much. This doesn't mean that evolving V-Moda isn't a good idea -- it may well be. Just not for me I'm afraid, since to me the changes seem to accumulate to take away those unique aspects that made up V-Moda and streamline it, making it disappear on the background of all the other brands doing the same things right now. Which is kind of sad. For me at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back