V-MODA Shield Design Discussion
Aug 7, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #61 of 1,269
so i don't now how well v-moda does heavily detailed designs, does anyone know about that? this is the design i wanted to get on them but i don't wanna throw $50 out there and get them and they look like ****. so heres the design:

Aug 8, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #62 of 1,269
Quote:
so i don't now how well v-moda does heavily detailed designs, does anyone know about that? this is the design i wanted to get on them but i don't wanna throw $50 out there and get them and they look like ****. so heres the design

From V-MODA's shield design webpage:
Quote:
Crossfade Customs uses a 2-Line black and white artwork for laser engraving. Due to the hardness of metal, engraving different colors and even lighter shades of gray is not possible. Therefore, all art must be represented as 2-line artwork in black and white: black is engraved into the surface, white is not.

You also have to think "how much detail do I really need?" From even 2 feet away I don't think you can see half of the details on the shield with your current design, especially along the outermost rings. Even the small font may not be viewable from acceptable viewing distances. Keep in mind that the shield is only a few inches in length and height (perhaps 4 inches max). You should probably make your design simpler to be more viewable.

You can get an idea of how small of details you can draw from V-MODA's custom shield Facebook gallery.

Example:

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #65 of 1,269
What do you think, would either of these work? Don't know which of them I prefer. Wasn't really caring much about custom work but I figured in case I'd try to snatch a PPU M100 unit might as well try some hardstyle logo as I'm such a fan of this genre.

Guess just the text or biohazard like logo or the danger pic will have to do otherwise. Just can't decide which would be best haha.

Aug 8, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #67 of 1,269
yeah i thought about how all that a little after i posted it cause i just made the design and then decided to post and see without thinking about that sort of stuff, ill try to remove some of the finer details

Aug 8, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #73 of 1,269
Quote:
Experimental shield design. Not really sure if it would turn out that great, the detail level might be a little too high for the center image.

[/snip image]

It's a cool design, but the fine particles (especially near the center of the design) might not show up very well on the final engraving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poilsoup2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[/snip image]

so would this be better? and the pentagram would be white/silver

Yes that definitely looks more doable. The double linings (it looks like there is a small white border around each object in the design) throughout the artwork might not show up too well though since they are pretty narrow. Yes this will be a pain to fill in/erase...it took me quite some time to edit all of the white specks in my final design too.

If possible, I would suggest making the designs in Adobe Illustrator since there is an option that allows you to automatically turn you image into a 2-line black and white tracing of the image, making it an infinitely scalable vector image. You can do this with any PNG or JPEG image. Something to keep in mind though is that by turning your original image into a vector tracing, sometimes your drawing will become slightly distorted to accommodate the image being infinitely scalable.

Example:
Import PNG:

PNG convert to image tracing:

Small distortions as a result of infinitely scalable image tracing (it's hardly noticeable in my image):

Also, Val stated in a PM:
Quote:
Vector images can sometimes become distorted in photoshop, and that as long as you send in the AI file to us, the image will come out fine and clean in the engraving process.

Aug 8, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #74 of 1,269
Ok... so I'm officially confused.

Does the custom image have to be made in Photoshop? (I have no idea what I'm doing with it)  The white background of my image is actually white... not clear/blank.  Will this cause an issue?  Should I worry about DPI?

The image I intend to use is below.  The one with black text will be submitted as required, the white text is how I intend it to appear on the matte black shields.

Aug 8, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #75 of 1,269
Quote:
Ok... so I'm officially confused.

Does the custom image have to be made in Photoshop? (I have no idea what I'm doing with it)  The white background of my image is actually white... not clear/blank.  Will this cause an issue?  Should I worry about DPI?

The image I intend to use is below.  The one with black text will be submitted as required, the white text is how I intend it to appear on the matte black shields.

It doesn't matter - they will change it so it matches and works with the engraving machine. It's just a matter of inversion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back