V-MODA Shield Design Discussion
Jan 16, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #1,081 of 1,269
I'm ordering a set in the next couple of days and while my first thought was to use the cover for Ufomammut's Snailking album, I'm going to use this:  Hoping it turns out well!
(Going with matte black color, and shiny black for the shields)

Jan 26, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #1,083 of 1,269
Since the engravings are etched in white I think the first one will do.

Jan 26, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #1,084 of 1,269
The black portion of your pictures will be engraved in white on your shields.  The white portion of your picture will be unengraved, so it would be black.  With that in mind I'd agree that the first picture would be more suitable to have engraved.

By the way, I have not received my shields yet (this week!) but they made a suggestion concerning my supplied artwork.  They replied back with examples, and I really think their suggestion worked a lot better than what my original intention was.

I suspect that in your case they might make a similar suggestion.  Give it some thought!  They are the people who do that all day, and so far my experience with them has been outstanding.  It really makes me feel confident about their work.

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #1,086 of 1,269
Also would any of the more artsy people here be able to make a Run The Jewels type logo for me?

http://cdn2.pitchfork.com/news/51324/178da47c.jpg

https://img0.etsystatic.com/024/1/8292477/il_570xN.486140174_8bzo.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-AiPhW2riuB8/UgddSWWhZeI/AAAAAAAAED4/BJtJHlq38lU/s1600/cover.png

http://cdn.stereogum.com/files/2014/09/RTJ2-608x608.jpg

http://www.jacktwo.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/tag-the-jewels-binho-ribeiro.png

Ps. Sorry if the amount of links was excessive... I just really like RTJ

Jan 30, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #1,089 of 1,269

These are the shiny black.  I normally like shiny black stuff, my entertainment center is black glass for example.  (Requires me to dust constantly though!)

They are almost too shiny...I kinda wish I had ordered them in matte black.  Obviously they are fingerprint magnets, but I think I would have liked them more in matte black.  (I ordered the matte black headphones...if you have the shadow ones maybe you'd think differently, since the shadows have some more bling to them)

The engraving came out pretty well, no complaints there.  I might be returning the headphones though.  I ordered the XL earpads and even after switching them on, the pads don't feel large enough.  I've been told I have ears on the smaller side, but these still rest on my ears more than I like.  I'm too accustomed to the Sennheiser earcupe shape I guess.  (For what it's worth I'm really not seeing the 30% increased diameter at all...they are thicker, and that's about it.  Also since the earcups are a fake leather style material, they don't breathe at all.

I'm going to give it a couple of days, and if my opinion doesn't change I'll probably pick up some AT athm50x's and the velvet pads for those that I've seen.

The phones seem pretty durable though...although when I was taking off the earpads I ended up popping the earphone out of the clamp which scared the heck out of me.  It didn't break, but the little connector that goes into the headphone seems like it should be stronger than what it is.  It's a plastic piece and looks capable of breaking, where the rest of these seem tough as nails.

Jan 30, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #1,090 of 1,269

These are the shiny black.  I normally like shiny black stuff, my entertainment center is black glass for example.  (Requires me to dust constantly though!)

They are almost too shiny...I kinda wish I had ordered them in matte black.  Obviously they are fingerprint magnets, but I think I would have liked them more in matte black.  (I ordered the matte black headphones...if you have the shadow ones maybe you'd think differently, since the shadows have some more bling to them)

The engraving came out pretty well, no complaints there.  I might be returning the headphones though.  I ordered the XL earpads and even after switching them on, the pads don't feel large enough.  I've been told I have ears on the smaller side, but these still rest on my ears more than I like.  I'm too accustomed to the Sennheiser earcupe shape I guess.  (For what it's worth I'm really not seeing the 30% increased diameter at all...they are thicker, and that's about it.  Also since the earcups are a fake leather style material, they don't breathe at all.

I'm going to give it a couple of days, and if my opinion doesn't change I'll probably pick up some AT athm50x's and the velvet pads for those that I've seen.

The phones seem pretty durable though...although when I was taking off the earpads I ended up popping the earphone out of the clamp which scared the heck out of me.  It didn't break, but the little connector that goes into the headphone seems like it should be stronger than what it is.  It's a plastic piece and looks capable of breaking, where the rest of these seem tough as nails.

Wow, that's incredible!  You really put my shields to shame.  I may end up stealing your idea

Jan 30, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #1,091 of 1,269

V-MODAs are designed to pop off the hinges in case of a drop so that they don't get cracked. I've dropped my M-100, XS and V-80 on concrete and have absolutely no cracks on any of them. A few scratches and scuffs, but that's it.

Jan 30, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #1,092 of 1,269

V-MODAs are designed to pop off the hinges in case of a drop so that they don't get cracked. I've dropped my M-100, XS and V-80 on concrete and have absolutely no cracks on any of them. A few scratches and scuffs, but that's it.

I didn't know that those hinges were designed to prevent damage to the ear cuffs.  I thought it was designed that way for ease of manufacturing, or something.  

Jan 30, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #1,093 of 1,269
This is taken from the M-100 thread from the CVO of V-MODA himself.

Quote:
  The eject mechanism uses different kgF to either pop the arm out or eject past a certain point, I'll video demo it someday but we don't want to encourage people to try it at home, its meant to be an alternative option to breaking.

-v

Jan 31, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #1,095 of 1,269
  I sent VMODA these mock ups and just received delivery of the shields.  If anyone is doubting the level of complexity they are capable of, this should clear it up for them.  They turned out better than I could have expected.

The finished product:

Woah!  I had no idea they were capable of such detail.  How do you think this would have turned out on a glossy, coloured shield?  I'm thinking a glossy red, like the one in this picture:  

Would it come out as nice?  Will there be enough contrast to see all the detail?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back