V-moda M80 vs Westone Um2...On ear vs In Ear
Jul 23, 2012 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Nookt14

New Head-Fier
Im in need of a new portable headphone for daily use. I have already done research in both the On ear area and in IEM.
My two choices in both areas are:
On Ear- V-moda M80
IEM- Westone Um2
What are the benefits and downfalls of IEM vs On Ear? and if any one has any experience with either or both of these headphones that would help a lot. Portability isnt an issue i just care about sound quality and comfort.

Jul 23, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #2 of 12
Havent tried those headphones. But On Ear (atleast for me) are uncomfortable. And for IEM's they offer more isolation and are comfortable. I  am guessing (not sure) that On Ear have a bigger soundstage.

Jul 23, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 12
Yes i have also heard that about the soundstage is it that much better that its worth it to choose On ear or is it not that great?

Jul 23, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #4 of 12
Personally? I would choose IEM. I need comfort when I listen to music. And on-ears kill it for me. I don't know what other people think though.

Jul 23, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #7 of 12
Well I have no experience with the IEM's (I don't like to wear IEMs, they make my ear canals sore and itchy and IMO a lot of them sound very tinny with stupidly bloated bass that just doesn't blend well) But I do own the M80s and they're by far my favourite headphones I've ever had the pleasure of owning. They're very comfortable IMO and sound great, and if comfortability is a HUGE factor (especially the clamping pressure of the headphones on your ears) then the headband is flexible and when you bend it past it's elastic limit you can fix it to better fit your head.

But really it just comes down to what you think will be more comfortable and what style of headphone you prefer. If ya like in-ear buds or IEMs, then get the IEMs. From my experience on-ear and over-ear headphones have better soundstage and imaging, but comfort is definitely another crucial factor in committing to a purchase.

Jul 23, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #8 of 12
All of the reasons I chose the M-80 over some IEMs was portability.  IEMs are such a nuisance.

Jul 23, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
Wouldn't an IEM be more portable?

Yes. Wouldnt UE TripleFi 10's be great for him anyways? (Not knowing his music taste?)

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
Wouldn't an IEM be more portable?

Depends on how you define portable.
IEM's are a pain to deal with for me and the only portability advantage they have is size.  For me, any size benefit they have is vastly outweighed by the need to wind and unwind them properly, look at them and figure out which side is which, and then finally hold my ear back as I insert them and make sure I have a seal.
Compare that to simply placing the portable cans on your head and going.  I can be listening to music in less than five seconds with cans, less if I'm wearing them around my neck.  That, to me, is a far more portable solution.

But OP said portability isn't a concern so this point is moot.

Jul 24, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
what are your reasons for saying that, better sound quality?

Fun, bassy sound that's easy for most people to like.

And because there's probably better choices if you do decide to go for IEMs but for portable headphones, M/V80 would be one of my top picks 
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back