V-MODA M-200: Official Impressions & Reviews Thread
Aug 11, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #16 of 153
Wow these are pricey for what they are. I've been looking for a closed-back but would have to order some sort of custom 2.5mm cable to play nice with my HiBy R3 Pro, or any balanced source for that matter. @AndrewY What DAP/Phone/Dongle uses 3.5mm balanced? Include a 2.5mm cable and I'd buy.

Hey, great question -- I think in the past FIIO and Astell & Kern have made DAPs with balanced output that would pair well with M-200. As for adapters, well, I can't recommend any specific brands myself as I don't use anything that requires a 2.5mm cable personally. I know there are balanced 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapters available on Amazon, however.

Re: 2.5mm cables from V-MODA, I don't believe we make one at the moment but in the future if we do, it'll be on our website. Do you use it for voice chat on consoles?

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #17 of 153
Re: 2.5mm cables from V-MODA, I don't believe we make one at the moment but in the future if we do, it'll be on our website. Do you use it for voice chat on consoles?

This would be for music listening. It just seems so silly buying an adapter on an "already priced to include the balanced cable" set of headphones. Maybe I'm just not the right customer for this, but at the same time, it seems to be targeting me directly -- balanced, improved tuning, etc If V-Moda wants to impress this community, they need to follow norms, ie, 2.5mm or 4.4mm balanced. It seems like they want to alienate their targeted demographic for some reason. I'm passing for sure -- and I'd bet others probably feel the same about the lack of insight into what the consumer wants and what the industry has already deemed standard. I'm not making an argument for balanced, but very upset this set is priced for hifi, and priced with a balanced cable I doubt a SINGLE USER will ever use.

They need to think things through, and didn't. Clear as day. Maybe next time.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #18 of 153
This would be for music listening. It just seems so silly buying an adapter on an "already priced to include the balanced cable" set of headphones. Maybe I'm just not the right customer for this, but at the same time, it seems to be targeting me directly -- balanced, improved tuning, etc If V-Moda wants to impress this community, they need to follow norms, ie, 2.5mm or 4.4mm balanced. It seems like they want to alienate their targeted demographic for some reason. I'm passing for sure -- and I'd bet others probably feel the same about the lack of insight into what the consumer wants and what the industry has already deemed standard. I'm not making an argument for balanced, but very upset this set is priced for hifi, and priced with a balanced cable I doubt a SINGLE USER will ever use.

Hey meringo, I appreciate you coming to us with your opinions and feedback. The reason for us starting an official impressions, reviews, and feedback thread was exactly for this purpose; So we could collect all this information for future product development. :beerchug:

Aug 12, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #20 of 153
I'm getting a "discount code isn’t valid for the items in your cart" message.
Is it because I've selected the laser-engraved brushed black shield?
Hm...

Hey Dolores, thanks for letting me know! I'll have our web team look in to this ASAP and update you here when I have more info. I will DM you to get more information on the issue.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #22 of 153

I have no idea what this is about. I thought this was supposed to be a DJ headphone but guys who want to use it with portable equipment want 2.4 or 4.4 balanced connectors?

DJ means 1/4 inch plug, period. No adaptor, nothing to unscrew and get lost or cause a short curcuit.Just solid, no nonsense cable with rugged connector that won't pull off. If there is a balanced XLR cable then the cans can be used with studio gear.

Personally the last thing I'm interested in is another micro plug for portable use on a so-called pair of DJ heaphones. It's bad enough I have to recable full-sized heaphoness like HD 600 that come with 3,5mm plug with a 1/4 inch adaptor. Seriously...

Aug 16, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #23 of 153
thought this was supposed to be a DJ headphone

What leads you to think that? Nothing on the product page or description indicates that these are DJ headphones. Everything says studio headphones and HiFi listening.

Did you read the product page? **Edit** being very sincere, as the whole thing refutes the DJ claim. Sorry if that came off harsh.

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 3.47.17 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-16 at 3.47.34 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-16 at 3.47.53 PM.png

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2020 at 3:15 AM Post #24 of 153
What leads you to think that? Nothing on the product page or description indicates that these are DJ headphones. Everything says studio headphones and HiFi listening.

Did you read the product page? **Edit** being very sincere, as the whole thing refutes the DJ claim. Sorry if that came off harsh.

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 3.47.17 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-16 at 3.47.34 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-16 at 3.47.53 PM.png

Hi,

No, I was just going by the material posted in the thread and I didn't go over it thoroughly enough probably. Sorry for my reaction to your post and thanks for your restraint.

In the 1st post he wrote " M-200 was our response to what music is becoming now: DJs are no longer just live performers but are also often the producers behind their own music, and they need the right tool for that production process. For this type of sound profile, we needed to build something new with more of a studio production focus specifically for sound monitoring, recording and mixing process. "

I agree the message is not super clear but that's marketing :D Anyway, even if we go by "musicians and producers" in the middle block of the ad page then it's also not about micro or mini plugs for portable devices. Seems to strongly suggest standard hardware.

Aug 20, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #27 of 153
When are we going to see the shields and XL pads for the 200 in the UK ?

Hey ledzep, nice work on the cable! :beyersmile:

To answer your question: We actually ship our custom shields globally :) You can order them here: https://www.v-moda.com/us/en/products/m-200-custom-shield-kit or if you prefer, Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/page/47AC0782-E4CB-4E6D-B972-314523DE4A98; However, please note that the advanced customization options (such a laser engraving) are available through the store on the V-MODA website.

Additionally, the M-200 actually ship with larger ear pads by default, if I were to compare them to say, the XL cushions for the M-100 Master, I would say they have a more comfortable fit. That's my personal experience anyway having had both. Were you needing something larger?

Aug 20, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #28 of 153
Hey ledzep, nice work on the cable! :beyersmile:

To answer your question: We actually ship our custom shields globally :) You can order them here: https://www.v-moda.com/us/en/products/m-200-custom-shield-kit or if you prefer, Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/page/47AC0782-E4CB-4E6D-B972-314523DE4A98; However, please note that the advanced customization options (such a laser engraving) are available through the store on the V-MODA website.

Additionally, the M-200 actually ship with larger ear pads by default, if I were to compare them to say, the XL cushions for the M-100 Master, I would say they have a more comfortable fit. That's my personal experience anyway having had both. Were you needing something larger?
After compairing my M100 Masters to my M200's they are indeed practically the same thickness and the 200's overall bigger
15979548231528081452589339117198.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #29 of 153
Just had a out of the box listen to the M200's with the 4.4mm cable out of my M11 Pro and I'm happy with the results, nice and detailed with a good amount of bass. As some reviews have said it's not a basshead headphone ( I have the masters for that ) but in my opinion it's a bassheads refined headphone, put EDM and Rock with a lot of bass and drum parts and it delivers the bass in spades but listen to say Pink Floyd ( Meddle Album one of these days or Echoes) and the bass is still deep and punchy but the vocals are nice and clear. Was sceptical after reading reviews on the 200's but the only way to find out if they are for you is to listen and decide for yourself. I'm at a stage in my listening life where I've been through the £2000 + headphones and in ears looking for that end game set up but my pocket will tell you it doesn't exist. I found analysing every note and nuance is time wasted on enjoying the music, most of us know if it sounds good or not just by playing a various tracklist selection. My in ears at the moment are the Campfire Atlas and the Shouer Conductors, a totally different pair and the 200's fit nicely in the middle soundwise with the masters a close second in the fun listening sector. This is only my personal opinion and recommend you try for yourself, we all get something different from different headphones hence the shear amount of choice nowadays. Once the 200's have had 100 hours burn I'll add a bit more if the sound validates it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back