V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Nov 18, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #17,521 of 23,366
Can't wait for my XL pads.... My stock pads seem to be getting more and more compacted and are beocmming less comfortable more quickly.

I'm pretty excited for my CoilPro cable too. Something to just keep in my mixer, and meanwhile I can semi-permenantly rig the SharePlay cable with my portable rig using bands and stringing it through my oddly bezeled iPod touch/amp combo

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #17,522 of 23,366
For everyone wanting to know/see more on the XL pads:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/691002/unofficial-v-moda-xl-pads-thread
I created a thread. Enjoy.

Nov 19, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #17,523 of 23,366
This is what I posted in that other thread but I'll post them here as well:

I added these to my M-100's last night. I was shocked at how much they increased the soundstage. And I agree with the more realistic sound OP mentioned. They are significantly more comfortable, although I was only able to listen to them for about 15 min. Hopefully will listen more tonight

I'm running them with a C&C BH amp.

Nov 19, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #17,524 of 23,366
Hello All,

I have arrived at this forum because of this headphone. No other headphone has led me to Head-Fi...until now. This is an amazing headphone and I am currently writing a review on Amazon, but two hours later, I'm nowhere near finished. I look forward to my continued love for this product. Absolutely an amazing product...I can't take them off!! But, I'm sure you all know this already.

Nov 19, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #17,525 of 23,366
well, i traveled 3 hrs today for work (and to get close to a Brookstone) so i could finally hear these before buying for my Xmas gift.  i really had my mind made up these were for me, without ever hearing them.  i have to say i was disappointed.  maybe i built them up too much in my mind and assumed they would be a certain way.  i will say this, build quality is fantastic.  i love their case and the way they fold up. i love the looks of the phones and the cord and plug.  love the colors.  i just didn't like the bass or fit.  this brookstone had several offerings and a nice listening center and i took my ipod classic with me to test with.  

i listened to about 6 songs, all different genres and they were consistent.  but after the 6, my head hurt.  i don't have a large head and couldn't believe it hurt as much as it did since the clamping pressure didn't seem that bad.  i really cant imagine the XL pads would help with this. i tried about 5 different headphones in there and am embarrassed to say the new beats studios were my favorite.  the employee asked me to try them and i declined.  i ended up trying them and was surprised to say the least.  not a fan of plastic build quality and wasn't a fan of the hiss from the noise cancellation, but really liked the sound signature.  bass was turned down more than i imagine "older" beats are and the comfort was the second best part.  i am trying to figure out if this is all a case of too high an expectation for the M100 and ZERO expectation for the studios, but now i am more confused.  i feel like i SHOULD buy the M100.  i like the company, their montra, their small business mindset and actions....i like everything but the fit.   the clarity was nice.  the bass didn't bleed at all, which i LOVED. i just didn't care for the type of bass i was hearing.  

hmm.

Nov 19, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #17,526 of 23,366
  well, i traveled 3 hrs today for work (and to get close to a Brookstone) so i could finally hear these before buying for my Xmas gift.  i really had my mind made up these were for me, without ever hearing them.  i have to say i was disappointed.  maybe i built them up too much in my mind and assumed they would be a certain way.  i will say this, build quality is fantastic.  i love their case and the way they fold up. i love the looks of the phones and the cord and plug.  love the colors.  i just didn't like the bass or fit.  this brookstone had several offerings and a nice listening center and i took my ipod classic with me to test with.  

i listened to about 6 songs, all different genres and they were consistent.  but after the 6, my head hurt.  i don't have a large head and couldn't believe it hurt as much as it did since the clamping pressure didn't seem that bad.  i really cant imagine the XL pads would help with this. i tried about 5 different headphones in there and am embarrassed to say the new beats studios were my favorite.  the employee asked me to try them and i declined.  i ended up trying them and was surprised to say the least.  not a fan of plastic build quality and wasn't a fan of the hiss from the noise cancellation, but really liked the sound signature.  bass was turned down more than i imagine "older" beats are and the comfort was the second best part.  i am trying to figure out if this is all a case of too high an expectation for the M100 and ZERO expectation for the studios, but now i am more confused.  i feel like i SHOULD buy the M100.  i like the company, their montra, their small business mindset and actions....i like everything but the fit.   the clarity was nice.  the bass didn't bleed at all, which i LOVED. i just didn't care for the type of bass i was hearing.  

hmm.

The XL pads really do make that much of a difference regarding comfort.

Regarding the new Studios, they are decent, so no need to be embarrassed for your preference or to yield to peer pressure from all the hype, none of which has been contributed to by me 
wink_face.gif

Nov 19, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #17,527 of 23,366

hmm.

You forgot something.
V-MODA suggest this:
Burn, Bend, Wear.

Burn in the headphones.
Bend the STEELFLEX headband (flat) to comfort your head.
Wear them. :basshead:

Nov 19, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #17,528 of 23,366
  The XL pads really do make that much of a difference regarding comfort.

Regarding the new Studios, they are decent, so no need to be embarrassed for your preference or to yield to peer pressure from all the hype, none of which has been contributed to by me 
wink_face.gif

the pressure was weird.  hard for me to explain.   when picking them up in the hands, and pulling them apart, they don't feel like they would have a lot of pressure on the ears.  when letting them go on my head/ears, again, they dont feel "tight" or any pressure...but after taking them off, i feel almost like a sore jaw.... that is why i dont feel like the pads would work.   they may be cush-ier, but they would still have the pressure, i feel.  maybe not.

more about the sound though,....the bass didnt sound like bass on other 'phones.  it was not as deep to me, but louder, if that makes any sense. not sure that makes sense to me.  

Nov 19, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #17,529 of 23,366
  the pressure was weird.  hard for me to explain.   when picking them up in the hands, and pulling them apart, they don't feel like they would have a lot of pressure on the ears.  when letting them go on my head/ears, again, they dont feel "tight" or any pressure...but after taking them off, i feel almost like a sore jaw.... that is why i dont feel like the pads would work.   they may be cush-ier, but they would still have the pressure, i feel.  maybe not.

more about the sound though,....the bass didnt sound like bass on other 'phones.  it was not as deep to me, but louder, if that makes any sense. not sure that makes sense to me.  

If you don't like it, you don't like it, but there is a 60-day test-drive for you to decide. Nothing is worse than a $300 buyer's remorse.

Nov 19, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #17,530 of 23,366
  If you don't like it, you don't like it, but there is a 60-day test-drive for you to decide. Nothing is worse than a $300 buyer's remorse.

hmm, wasnt aware of that.  thanks.  and yes, $300/remorse is no fun..  i really want to like the M100.  now i wonder how the KEF M500 or P7 stacks up? i cant buy beats....i fundamentally stand against it.  but man, they were good.  

i wish i could try the XL pads first.  loved the fit and finish of the m100 and loved the black and orange look

Nov 19, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #17,531 of 23,366
  hmm, wasnt aware of that.  thanks.  and yes, $300/remorse is no fun..  i really want to like the M100.  now i wonder how the KEF M500 or P7 stacks up? i cant buy beats....i fundamentally stand against it.  but man, they were good.  

i wish i could try the XL pads first.  loved the fit and finish of the m100 and loved the black and orange look

clamping pressure will improve with time. didn't seem like you were experiencing actual ear discomfort from the pads, but that appears to greatly improve with the XL pads.  the ear discomfort is really the most worse thing, so if you aren't experiencing that, your comfort levels will improve w/ time w/o the pads.

Nov 20, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #17,532 of 23,366
Found an old CD by Basia and ripped it to an aiff file.  I would never have guessed, but her songs paired really well with my M-100s.  The bass is tight, the treble fair, mids holding their own, and the imaging is really good.  Just did not expect this to really pair well with a Jazz-y CD.

Nov 20, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #17,533 of 23,366
Just got my package a few hours ago. Unfortunately my shield design didn't exactly turn out the way I wanted. I'm going to email customer support to see if I can do an exchange. If not, I just don't like how it turned out so much I'm going to re-order them. My problem was I didn't give them the template, I just gave them the jpeg and hoped they 'got' what I wanted.... not the case.... I don't own (or otherwise) PS and I was impatient, could have asked a friend but nooooooo ....... *le sigh* Anyone know if you can exchange them?

Other than that, I'm LOVING the XL pads. It's a world of difference in comfort(!!!!!!!!!!!!!), soundstage(!!!!!), and balance(!!!!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).. I'm gonna need a good break in period to get those memory cushions suited to my head. I've only had them on for about an hour, but I'm very familiar with these tracks. It's almost as if I upgraded my headphones entirely.
Not a different sound signature per se, but there's a more balanced sound, especially in the mids... I THINK the XL pads extend the bass a bit too unless that's my mind tricking me. There's smoother hump in the mid bass area too, I always felt like there was a dip in the mid bass right before the hump, but that's less obvious now. The highs are SUPER airy and again feel like more extended, they sound less peaky. Mids seem more natural by a large margin. They're still as lush, but they felt a tad restricted with stock pads. Still a little recessed but with the highs being less peaky, that might account for that  the mids have a more natural feel to them. My C&C BH is on a shelf at the moment because I can't find my 1/8" interconnects since moving, and my FiiO LOD didn't survive my pocket so I'm just using my 2nd gen iPod Touch 32gb for a month now cuz my wallet hurts from buying JBL monitors.
I can't imagine how much more the BH pads open up the M-100 cans with the BH. Imaging and width are quite improved, it's actually scary. It adds to the detail since the sound seems wider. 
Discomfort? Not even a consideration here... Clamp has been well burnt into my M-100s, so that said I could use a quick straighten for a second to loosen it up to accommodate for the extra few millimeters of extra pad - I may wait 10-20 hours to do that, to get the cushions flexed a bit to my face. Even without, I feel like I could wear these to sleep, my drivers are not pressing against my ears and my spacers are no longer a concern to tuck into my headphones to get the seal, they kinda just slip in thanks to the flat stitched surface over the dome-type surface of the stock pads.

The stock pads are fantastic and they've won awards and accolade all across the internet. I myself never felt the need to get a new headphone, which is why I left the site for a while (I know, I know), but for a lot of owners of M-100s or LP/2s, they would DEFINITELY benefit from a change in comfort, and a new sound. There's ALWAYS going to be a point of diminishing returns in this hobby; $20 to make it sound, and feel like you've just bought a new headphone from V-Moda ('M-110' ? haha)....... Worth it. (I'll copy/paste this all in the XL pad thread)

Thank you Val, you've reinvigorated my already superb M-100s with a simple pad change. 

And the Coil Pro cable. What a nice accessory this is. I think it's fantastic. The 1/4" adapter is great, it's spring loaded, just takes a bit of pressure to get the threading together, and screws in tight, all on the source end of the cable. The M-100 (or any other compatible headphone) end fastens tight. It's no real guess work, simple L-twist mechanism to keep it from popping out during a solid brock out. Basically the ends aren't leaving what they're attached to without manually doing it. CoilPro is aptly named, especially the quality. Soft spring reliefs, the 1/4" adapter and the end it screws onto is entirely encased with gripy aluminum, the other end is half aluminum and plastic with the tab being plastic. Unless you plan on going to a rodeo with your headphones, the plastic tab that keeps it secure in your headphone won't snap off. The cable itself is long enough to even use on the go. Impossibly amicrophonic too, but I haven't been out with them, I just know dragging the coil across the edge of my desk is inaudible whatsoever. Still hear the drag off my shirt at the right cup, but compared to that kevlar SharePlay or SpeakEasy (even worse) it's non-existent. I actually have my SharePlay cable pretzel-knotted (can you tell I wasn't a boy scout?) around the back arm of the right cup to avoid theft and give me the ability to just stop my continue my music with a simple pull at my cup, and not fumble with retrieving the cable. That had another positive effect, it decreased my microphonics on the go quite a bit, but still the CoilPro straight down (I wouldn't dare do what I do to the SharePlay cable to the CoilPro) is clearly designed to be amicrophonic, likely for the studio, again, aptly named cable.

Nov 20, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #17,534 of 23,366
For the template you don't need PS, just get GIMP and export it back out as a PSD and you will be good.  Go over to the shield thread or PM SpiderNhan for support.

Nov 20, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #17,535 of 23,366
Just put on my XL pads after less than a week of enjoying the stock sound.
I haven't A/Bed many tracks, only a couple before and after installing the pads.
But the overall impression I get echo's what many have said; improved comfort, soundstage, better seal/isolation (will be great for public transport commuting as IMO the stock isolation is not great).

However the bass definitely seems a bit boomier and looser to me so far, not quite as clean and detailed on EDM tracks especially. There's probably greater impact and more sub but its looser which isn't something I'm usually a fan of. Definitely still very fun, and comfier, but the stock pads weren't uncomfortable to me, and the sound signature might be one I slightly prefer... tough one. I'll give them a go for a week or so and see how they go once the memory foam breaks in to my ear/headshape and my ears adjust to them.

Listening now out of my Mstage to some breaks / dnb / psy and I must say its already growing on me, BIG sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back