V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 22, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #17,221 of 23,366
I mean, the pads would lessen the bass a bit (the LP has plenty to spare), but I'm still waiting for someone to definitively say how it affects the Mids. As someone who used to own the LPs myself before I lost them (perhaps my grandma stole them?), I can tell you the drivers are different and the M100 has noticeably better treble extension.

i think someone should do it!!! the lps are soo cheap on amazon!!! if the xl pads they make them more neutral, a step in the right direction

they could use less bass and a huge bump in the mids and some on the highs

personally i like the gunmetal black one and think they look great!

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #17,222 of 23,366
Haven't really been using my m-100s a great deal since i bought them last December but noticed the pads seem to have a bit of wear where the creases are.  Sorry if this has been asked before but where can I get replacement earpads from? Can only see LP replacement ones on v-moda - are these compatible/same size?

Or is there anywhere I can get them locally in the UK? 

Thanks!

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #17,223 of 23,366
Unless you're doing some extreme modding, the headphone jack is the very common 3.5mm jack, also known as a P2 or mini-headphone jack. It's the same as you would see on an iPod headphone jack
wink.gif

Yeah, but I mean the connectors inside the headphones, from the other side, something like these http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dyMe-eLYXmM/TnOHwws7wgI/AAAAAAAAAVE/cM8u9DKgTlg/s1600/CARDAS-SENN.png

Oct 22, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #17,224 of 23,366
  Yeah, but I mean the connectors inside the headphones, from the other side, something like these http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dyMe-eLYXmM/TnOHwws7wgI/AAAAAAAAAVE/cM8u9DKgTlg/s1600/CARDAS-SENN.png

Those look like HD650 connectors. Are you sure those exist inside the M-100? I haven't opened one up, but I would assume that everything inside is hardwired (soldered), and the only connector is the 3.5mm one that attaches the external cable.

Oct 22, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #17,225 of 23,366
  Haven't really been using my m-100s a great deal since i bought them last December but noticed the pads seem to have a bit of wear where the creases are.  Sorry if this has been asked before but where can I get replacement earpads from? Can only see LP replacement ones on v-moda - are these compatible/same size?

Thanks!

Seriously??

Oct 22, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #17,227 of 23,366

Thanks!

Seriously??

I think he means replacement stock pads, Craigster75...and the short answer to that is: from V-MODA via special request, maybe.

The long answer: The LP pads will fit the M-100s, Thesonofkrypton, but they are designed slightly differently than the M-100 pads (I believe they're a little firmer and possibly a tiny bit shallower), and others here (miceblue?) have attested that they do make the M-100 sound different. When I inquired several months ago about making replacement stock M-100 pads available, Val said it was on his to-do list -- but nothing has materialized thus far. I have read that V-MODA will replace worn/damaged pads under warranty, so that's probably your only avenue right now, Thesonofkrypton. You'd have to call or email V-MODA support to initiate the exchange process and hope it works out.

Oct 22, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #17,228 of 23,366

It's a 3.5mm plug on both ends of the cable. All of V-MODA's headphones use a 3.5mm jack on the headphone end.

Oct 22, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #17,229 of 23,366

It's a 3.5mm plug on both ends of the cable. All of V-MODA's headphones use a 3.5mm jack on the headphone end.

Are you sure? I think I've read that the headphone end of these headphones is different from all the other V-Moda. Maybe Blue Angel is right. On the Moon Audio site, if you choose, for example, to change the stock cable with an XLR balanced cable, the option "hardwired" is required. 

Oct 22, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #17,230 of 23,366
I don't know about all V-MODAs but the M-100 is a simple 3.5 mm connection to the headphone as stated above by Tman5293. Any ol' 3.5 cable will do. Note: There is a plastic housing around the jack on the HP so the hole itself is recessed a bit. A cable with too large a casing around the plug will not seat firmly into the jack as it will be impeded by the housing.These Nuforce 3.5 cables do fit the M-100. There are probably others too but the Nuforce cables are relatively cheap (and flexible)! 

Oct 22, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #17,232 of 23,366
Oct 22, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #17,233 of 23,366
I mean, the pads would lessen the bass a bit (the LP has plenty to spare), but I'm still waiting for someone to definitively say how it affects the Mids. As someone who used to own the LPs myself before I lost them (perhaps my grandma stole them?), I can tell you the drivers are different and the M100 has noticeably better treble extension.

I've already posted about the mids earlier. The XL pads increase the distance between your ears and the driver. With all the extra space inside the pad, the bass goes from being tight and accurate to loose and boomy. The XL pads bring out the sub-bass, but this bleeds into the low mids. So, the punch of the bass is definitely weakened while the feel of the bass improves (since we hear the low mids and feel the sub bass). I prefer the original pads overall due to the intimacy of the sound and the punch of the bass. However, for the LPs, I'd probably use the XLs since the bass is overwhelming and the ear pads are shallower. On the M100s, the original pads are perfect.

Oct 22, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #17,234 of 23,366
  I've already posted about the mids earlier. The XL pads increase the distance between your ears and the driver. With all the extra space inside the pad, the bass goes from being tight and accurate to loose and boomy. The XL pads bring out the sub-bass, but this bleeds into the low mids. So, the punch of the bass is definitely weakened while the feel of the bass improves (since we hear the low mids and feel the sub bass). I prefer the original pads overall due to the intimacy of the sound and the punch of the bass. However, for the LPs, I'd probably use the XLs since the bass is overwhelming and the ear pads are shallower. On the M100s, the original pads are perfect.

Thanks very much, this is an excellent description.  You just helped me make my decision to NOT waste money on the XL pads! 
beerchug.gif

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #17,235 of 23,366
Klawn,
You posted about the mids earlier? Sorry, I check this thread from time to time, but I must've missed it. The only thing you said just now about mids is the sub bass bleeds into the low mids... so I guess mid bass and top bass stay the same except for being skipped? And when you say "bleeds into low-mids," do you mean the low mids get dB boosted or they get recessed underneath the sub bass?

Really, the only thing I got from your description was that the bass gets stronger yet boomier, which I suppose means more diffuse. What if you EQ down the bass and use XL pads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back